+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Could you add a quick listing of some good VFS aware apps that you use? Thanks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Steve,
    Here is my list of progs that make *GOOD* use of the SD card:

Megalauncher
    FastCPU
    McFile
    Kinoma
    TomeRaider - i have 35 megabytes of DB's for this prog....
    TealDOC
    PiDirect

There are other VFS aware apps that i have but don't make good use of it. I find it better to use PiDirect to just trick the app than it is to utilize it's VFS functions. An example of this is the Photosuite viewer, with out PiDirect it takes nearly a minute to check my card for pictures, with PiDirect enabled it only takes about 10-15 secs. That's still somewhat of a long time but far less than the other option. Now keep in mind that it may not take that long for your photosuite to show your files if you don't have as many files on your card, the more files you have, the longer it takes.
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

Keep in mind, this really isn't a "limitation" and really doesn't require any thrid party applications. If you have a program that is not able to cross check for files on the card, install the application on the card. Then the app and it's DB's are in the same dir path. The problem is not the apps not being able to see the card, but not thinking to even look there. Most Palm apps are designed to look in the same directory as itself. In the pre-Palm OS 4.0, the Palm only had one directory, the root. Now with OS 4.x and the advnet of VFS for removable media, some apps don't know to look there. Just install the app to card (there is a selection in the install tool to do this), and then the bid file (DB) you have to put on the card will be in the same dir.

My $.02

I wrote a little summart about SD cards here a while back that said the same things both byrd dog and Hotsync mentioned, I only had a short expiereince with a palm SD so its nice to hear more about it from those who have..

Still one concern. I have heard that some programs cannont sync properly if moved to the sd card. (especially if that particular card is not in the palm during the sync) does megalauncher address this issue? Somewhere I read that a third party launcher solves this issue by placing "shortcuts" on the internal memory which are just pointers to the real DBs on the card-- that way if a db needs to be found during a sync then the laucher redirects it to the SD so the conduit can still find it.

Hotsync is correct, this isnt a limitation, its just a different method of functionality then we are used to using.

see my post here for more insight:

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...1750#post31750
    iPhone therefore iAm.

????????

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Keep in mind, this really isn't a "limitation" and really doesn't require any thrid party applications. If you have a program that is not able to cross check for files on the card, install the application on the card. Then the app and it's DB's are in the same dir path. The problem is not the apps not being able to see the card, but not thinking to even look there. Most Palm apps are designed to look in the same directory as itself. In the pre-Palm OS 4.0, the Palm only had one directory, the root. Now with OS 4.x and the advnet of VFS for removable media, some apps don't know to look there. Just install the app to card (there is a selection in the install tool to do this), and then the bid file (DB) you have to put on the card will be in the same dir.

My $.02
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you hotsync on what you said about placing both the app and the db in the same folder on the card and the app being able to recognize it. That is not true for a non VFS aware app. I am providing an example program for you or anyone esle to test. You can place the app on the card, but the DB MUST be in the local memory for the app to recognize the DB and function properly. If both the app and the DB are on the card, in the same folder, then the app says it is unable to find it's DB. The functionality that you speak of is what a program called "PowerRun" is designed to do. Now if you were to install "PiDirect II" then you could have both the app and db on the card and everything would work just fine... I may be wrong about other apps that actually function in the way you described, but i don't know any.
    Attached Files
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

delorme xmap handheld is VFS aware but has performance problems if the application is on the SD card. Works fine with the DB on the SD.

WEll, there may be some apps that I have never used/tested that do have such strict limitations. Most apps are designed to look in /root/, however, it sounds like the one you have is being told to look in %system%/root/ which would force it to the Palm root directory. It's kind of strage they would force it that way. It limits the ability to run it on a 4.x OS that is capable of cards.

Re: 7135 SD Card FAQ

Originally posted by Byrd Dog
    • SD cards with photos from a digital camera can be inserted into the 7135 and viewed without any conversion (JPEG’s) with a program called “PhotoView” from the makers of photo suite.
    I have ruin into occasion that the app for this is erased, or not available. Reinstalling the Photo Suite application on the PC will prompt for reinstallation of the "PhotoView" app.

Re: 7135 SD Card FAQ

Originally posted by Byrd Dog
    7135 SD Card FAQ
    • PiDirect allows you store DB’s on the an SD card and it will trick non-VFS aware apps into thinking that those DB’s are actually on the 7135 itself. This allows you to have 30 or 40 MegaByte DB with the limited amount of memory on the 7135.
    So would something like PiDirect theoretically allow you to bypass the 7135's 10MB limit for voice memos.

I have to say that limit is the biggest dissappointment I have found about the phone. Over all I am loving the phone, but that limit is horrible. The clie NX70 lets you record hunderds of minutes straight to the mem stick.

I have to chime in here. I know the palm quite well, and did some of the initial beta testing for PiDirect (now PiDirect II). I *strongly* recommend getting this. Basically, it allows for *almost* all applications and databases to be put on the card, in a folder called PiDirect. It is very fast, and as noted, it allows for very large databases to be read without trouble. There are a couple exceptions (eg, AvantGo has had some problems, Mapopolis requires that there be the same amount of RAM free as the map, so it's not much help), but for most apps/ dbs, it's great. The major issue is that any db that you are constantly writing to (eg, voice memo db) should NOT go on the card- some may work, but it's just not worth the hassle. BTW, I have no financial relationship with the folks at PiDirect, other than having received a free copy as a beta tester....

Originally posted by pdadoc
    The major issue is that any db that you are constantly writing to (eg, voice memo db) should NOT go on the card- some may work, but it's just not worth the hassle.
    So am I understanding you right in that I would be able to have more than 10 minutes of voice memos if the DB was on an SD? But there would be hassles? Would you mind elaborating?

Thanks

ok- I'll try to elaborate... Let's say you have 10 min on the voicememo db. You *could* likely transfer that db to the PiDirect folder and have it work (though like I said, there are occasional dbs that won't work, and I certainly haven't had the opportunity to test this). HOWEVER, if you now went to *add* to that db, it would NOT be able to do that with the db on the card. My guess is it would create a new db in RAM. So.... as stated, my experience has been that any "dynamic" dbs- those that you are constantly writing to- should be kept in RAM, not on the card. Databases that don't change, even if very large, are generally fine on the card with PiDirect. While I haven't tested this with the voicememo db, the principle definitely holds. Hope that's helpful....

You might be able to use the file manager or Filez to rename the voice memo db and then store it on a card, The limit stil exists and you'd have to copy it back to hear them, but its at least an option if you have demands for multiple large voicememos.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    You might be able to use the file manager or Filez to rename the voice memo db and then store it on a card, The limit stil exists and you'd have to copy it back to hear them, but its at least an option if you have demands for multiple large voicememos.
    Yeah, I tested that yesterday, and It'll work. It's just annoying because you eventually will have a large collection of db's that you can't listen to before copying back.

Does the 10 minute limit on the built in voice memo mean that someone couldn't write a voice memo recorder that writes directly to the SD card (and with longer record times)?

Thanks

I wonder if Pidirect would still work as long as you only make you Vm's under 10mb a piece-?

for example, you setup pidrect & move the vmemo db to a 64 mg card, now lets assume that it lets you make a 10 min vm and Pidirect susscessfully writes it to a card. If you make a second 10 min VM shouldnt pidirect treat it as a second record in the same DB and put it on the card? seems logical to me that each record cant exceed the size of the RAM. I am not fammilar with pidirect but it sounds like thats how it works- pda doc - what do you think?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Not quite-- the *size* of the file really doesn't matter. As long as it's not one of the few databases that doesn't work with PiDirect, the size is not the issue. The issue is that PiDirect does not let you "write to the card". You should think of the databases on the card as "read only". If you need to write to it, you either 1) need to move it first from the card to RAM, write to it, then move it back to the card or 2) just leave it in RAM (best option, unless db is very large and you don't want to leave it on the card taking up RAM, but then you cannot easily constantly be writing to it).

Well looks like we need a third-party voicememo app that is vfs aware then. I wonder if its as easy as copying the clie NX70 VM app to the kyo. probably not that simple
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Photoview

I called roxio- makers of photo suite and they no longer make the mobile edition that supports photview- any other ways to view images fro an sd card on my 7135?

Re: Photoview

Originally posted by Murgatroyd
    I called roxio- makers of photo suite and they no longer make the mobile edition that supports photview- any other ways to view images fro an sd card on my 7135?
    Photoview is included with your 7135. If it isn't on there, re-install the MGI Photosuite, and then hotsync and it will be (for some reason, it doesn't always install the first time).

jpg's must be in the /DCIM/ directory on your SD card. If you have photos in that directory, Photoview will start as soon as you install the card.

I have heard that Splash Photo can also view jpg's on the SD card, but I haven't tried it yet.

Alan

thanks but one more question

I got the photosuite on the 7135 but how do I get that DCIM directory? I had used the card before for audio and it has a plam folder and an audio folder that I can not delete...