+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backlighting

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

Backlighting

Has anyone else noticed or maybe it is just me...

I have my backlighting set on 10 sec. When I am in a call my screen dims just a little after the 10 secs. But it does not go totally black like it looks when you do a soft reset.

Should that be right or should it drop totally dark like the soft reset after the 10 secs.

It seems that if it went totally dark after the 10 sec, or whatever you have your settings at it would save more battery life.

It could also go dark when just sitting there and when the user presses a button or the phone rings or the flip is opened or closed it could activate the "brighter" backlight.

Maybe this is something for the HACK writers!!!!!!!!

Whats your thoughts?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Greg,

I agree completely. You don't even need to shut down the Palm, just kill the backlight.

Take note of the SE T68i -- color screen, smaller battery, and 7 advertized -- and 5 real hours of talk time. After you are on the phone for 30 seconds, the screen backlight goes off -- hit one key to bring it back.

The "bulb" button exists on the 7135, yet the way it is used seems strange. It's used for hard resets like button on the top off the 6035, it works inconsistently, and it doesn't seem right -- I assume this somehow tied into the Palm OS and hard to use...

Glenn

bulb light button

my bulb light button works fine every time i press it for 2-3 secs the light got totally out. and then again when i press the button again it comes on.
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

The dimmin is all it does, you will need to hold down the backlight button to turn it off and on manually. I recomend this for extended calls to conserve the battery.

This could be considered good news as the folks at Kyo may not have considerd the amount of power this could save into thier stated power consumption specifications==more talk time than they said!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Interesting. My bulb button works like this: Hold it down for a couple of seconds and the light goes out but you can still see the PDA icons. Press it once more and the PDA icons disappear giving you a black and blank screen. Press it once more and it goes back to dark screen with icons for a brief moment and then the screen lights up again.

By the way, I am getting very good battery life during these first few days of ownership. I have absolutely no complaints about battery life.

The backlight button is designed to turn on/off backlighting AND the PDA.

Press it quickly - PDA turns ON/OFF

Hold it - Backlighting on PDA turns ON/OFF

It is that simple.

I-300 Novice

Kyocera 7135 Keypad Illumination

PC Magazine had an overall positive review on the 7135 in their latest issue.

The only thing disappointing in it was to find out that the kepad is not illuminated. Does the illumination from the screen light it enough to be able to dial it in the dark?

Does anyone know if the Samsung I-500 will have illuminated keys?

Thanks in advance for the info!
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

The keypad is lit, lit, lit&lit! The Review is wrong!

Sorry, couldn't resist...it has been said many times...the search function is your friend!
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

It is illuminated, both the graphitti & the keypad. Do a search & you will see this discussed in other threads (OMG did I just say Search )

Lit screen

Although the keypad is lit is isnt the brightest but it does work in the dark enough to get you by.

And the issue about backlighting, the lightbulb key is great and with the other tip about after holding and getting the main backlighting to go off and then pressing again to shut down screen completely, is a great battery saver.

When the phone rings or you press any key it comes back on to the nonbacklight status, if only it would come back to full on when you open the flip or press any key or get a call that would make the backlighting feature PERFECT.......

I again say HACK time.
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

I am confused. The bulb ONLY turns the backlight on & off for me. It doesnt turn the PDA on or off for me. As far as the backlight on the keys & graphiti area, the only way I can control that is in the phone pref settings?

backlight

Your correct the bulb doesnt turn off the pda it only totally makes the pda icon and the screen totally disappear. It is only a battery saving technique
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

When the phone is off, the "bulb" button turns the PDA on and off.

great tip

I to learn something everyday
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Folks,

I think this "bulb" button is messed up (or maybe I’m messed up) -- check this out...

1) When you're on a call, it seems to work as advertised -- if you hold it down it will kill the display backlight, but the cpu still runs. Then you can hold it down again to turn the light on. A much better option would be to turn the backlight off x seconds into a call, and then have the bulb button instantly turn it back on (without holding it down). But at least this is logical.

2) The behavior when you’re not on a call is just screwy. Hit the bulb button to turn the pda off. Then turn it on, the backlight will go off a second later (what’s up with this?). Then hit the button again and it will turn off, hit it again for on, and the backlight is off only to come on a second later.

Here’s my simpler suggestion…

1) Flip open, PDA on, flip closed, pda off.
    2) X seconds with no activity, backlight off, blub button can turn it back on.

Note that I have not used the MP3 player, so maybe the way it or other accessories work with flip open and closed complicate this.

Glenn

Glenn, your suggestion is just what I would expect the phone to do as a default. Of course some people will have a different opinion, but their should be a setting in the prefs to control such an important part of the phone. I have the Samsung 8500, and of course it allows you to set how long the back light stays on.

By the way, has anyone heard anything more about the Samsung I500? Are their any forums out there for it? I would like to be able to hold out on my purchase until I can hold both phones in my hand and compare them. But I doubt that will happen.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags

Re: Kyocera 7135 Keypad Illumination

Originally posted by PHCismail
    PC Magazine had an overall positive review on the 7135 in their latest issue. The only thing disappointing in it was to find out that the kepad is not illuminated.
    AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!!

Sorry, just had to vent.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

3_D

Keypad backlight

Did I get a bad unit? The keypad backlight barely luminates. I can't even see the 3,6, & 9 buttons and the rest are very faint. Is there a way to brighten them? I really can't dial at night with this problem.