+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PPC6800 OWNER (ALLTEL SERVICE) GREGHARKINS's Avatar

Backup Buddy And Back Up Buddy Vfs

What is the differences between the two and which is the better choice for the 7135<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    GREG HARKINS
    GREGHARKINS@BRINGINGFUNTOYOU.COM
    www.bringingfuntoyou.com

backupbuddy VFS is on the Palm itself and backs up to removable media. backupbuddy is a PC installed app that takes over the back up activities to provide a more complete back up.

While discussing backups, has anyone used JBBackup yet on the 7135. IMHO, this was definitely the best backup solution when I was using a Clie with Mem stick. You could backup the entire RAM as an image, taking very little time. And restores after a hard reset took about 15 seconds.

Originally posted by pdadoc
    While discussing backups, has anyone used JBBackup yet on the 7135. IMHO, this was definitely the best backup solution when I was using a Clie with Mem stick. You could backup the entire RAM as an image, taking very little time. And restores after a hard reset took about 15 seconds.
    About a week ago, I e-mled Handfort, the makers of JBBackup, to see if JBBackup will work on the 7135. They replied back that it should work without any problem.

I have been using JBBackup 1.6 on my 7135 for several days now and it has been working fun. I have it set to automatically create a memory image (i.e. a "Ghost") of all of the contents in my 7135's RAM on my 256 MB SD card. I have performed a test restore from this image and it worked perfectly.

Prior to purchasing my 7135, I had been using JBBackup on my CLIE for about a year. I definitely consider it to be one of the best, if not the best, VFS backup solutions for Palm OS PDAs.

Anyone interested in this product can check out www.handfort.com.

And no, I do not work for Handfort! I am just a happy customer.

Andrew

I've been using bb vfs since I got my 7135 since this is the first palm I've owned with a memory slot. Anyone can download the free version of bb vfs but the advantage to buying it is that the free version will not allow for incremental backups.
    I've done two test restores with no hitches. Actually the only hitch I had was with dbnow a database program i use. i had to input the serial number once it was copied over. no big deal though.

I think HotSync answered Greg's question in that vfs is required if you intend to backup to a card which is what I do.

THe paid version allows for incrimental backups (faster) and scheduling. Mine backs up every morning at 7 AM

Does JBbackup or Backup buddy allow a restore all inormation after a hard reset just like a hotsync does? (i.e. restores the hotsync name)
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

Originally posted by Byrd Dog
    Does JBbackup or Backup buddy allow a restore all inormation after a hard reset just like a hotsync does? (i.e. restores the hotsync name)
    Yes, and reading the features of either on thier website would have told ya that

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Yes, and reading the features of either on thier website would have told ya that
    what's not clear on either website, and i think maybe what byrd dog was getting at, was can u do a backup from a recently crashed phone without using the cradle? (ie, i'm away from my puter, and my phone crashes, requiring a hard reset....is there any way to use file manager that come with the 7135 to install right from the card?) or do u need to sync the backup software first so it can "see" the info on the card?

Thanks!

Originally posted by sh9854
    what's not clear on either website, and i think maybe what byrd dog was getting at, was can u do a backup from a recently crashed phone without using the cradle? (ie, i'm away from my puter, and my phone crashes, requiring a hard reset....is there any way to use file manager that come with the 7135 to install right from the card?) or do u need to sync the backup software first so it can "see" the info on the card?

Thanks!
    This is a quote from teh feature description of BackupBuddy VFS from the vendors web site:

"With BackupBuddyVFS installed on your organizer, you can effortlessly backup your organizer’s critical files to the Sony Clie's Memory Stick® or to Secure Digital or MultiMedia expansion cards for Palm organizers. In the event of a loss of data, you can then use BackupBuddyVFS to restore your organizer’s data from an expansion card. As a result, you no longer need to wait until you have access to your Hotsync cradle or a modem to backup or restore your data. "

That says it pretty clearly to me.....

Now, to be nice and further answer your question. The first time you run BackupBuddyVFS, it will ask if you want to install a copy onto your SD card. As long as you said yes, then after a hard reset, you can start the application from the card, and do a full restore without the use of the cradle.

Alan

Does anyone know whether a restore using backup buddy retains all of the previoulsy set speed dial and voice dial numbers?

My restore did! Didn't think about it until now.

Originally posted by Beryl
    My restore did! Didn't think about it until now.
    Do you have the free version or the $16 version and if you have the purchased version was your restore a "full" restore?

Works like a charm. My scheduled backup to my SD card wasn't working but that was due to the fact that after a restore it didn't copy BB VFS to the RAM. I just copied it from my card to RAM and voila by incremental scheduled backups are working.

Backup/Restore Question

If I use Backup Buddy and backup one 7135 to a SD card, is there any reason that I could not then use the SD card and do a restore to a different 7135 (I have two 7135's and want the same info in both, but since I will be hot syncing on different PCs I'd prefer not to "restore" via hot sync)?

I tried to do a sample restore and on a number of occasions was prompted that the "handheld has a newer version than the backed up version." Is this normal and which version should I keep?

Which plugin do you use for JBBackup?

Originally posted by JeffC
    Which plugin do you use for JBBackup?
    If you're responding to my post, I'm using Backup Buddy and not JBBackup.

Originally posted by RMSko
    I tried to do a sample restore and on a number of occasions was prompted that the "handheld has a newer version than the backed up version." Is this normal and which version should I keep?
    Yes. By default, after a hard reset, or loss of data, the Palm will recreate the DB's necessary for the applications to work. You will get this message on the datebook, addressbook, and saved preferences file among many others. THis is due to a more recent, empty version being created after yours was lost/deleted.