+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie questions that I couldn't find in the search

Hi all!

First I have to say, as someone that has lurked this board for sometime, that I think this is the best forum for a specific product that I have ever seen!

I have been trying to figure out the best subject matter for my first post, but I couldn't come up with anything spectacular so I figured I'd just ask some questions that I had a hard time finding in the search.

1. Can you use any of the A/C adapters from any other Kyo phone in the 7135? (my reason is that I would like to find a cheaper alternative for the Kyo car adapter and travel charger, and there aren't many 7135 accessories on eBay yet.)

2. Has anyone purchased the leather pouch/holster that Kyo sells on their site? I am curious as to what you think of it since the pictures are not very good on the Kyo site.

3. Those of you that have activated the 7135 with Verizon, (I know there are a ton of threads on this type of thing, but it's really hard to find specifics once the thread gets to a certain point.) are there any of the Verizon features that currently do not work with the 7135? I do not use any of the ExpressNet type stuff so I'm really talking about regular phone stuff like messaging and and making and receiving calls.

That's all I can think of for this first post. I am planning to order my 7135 from Get Connected this weekend so I'm sure I'll have lots more questions and contributions.

Thanks advance for any responses!

Mike<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

It comes with th eholster, and it is the best solution by far with the swivel clip.

The 7135 has specific charging adaptors.

I can get a cheap travel serial cable for 6035, can I use that on 7135?
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Re: Newbie questions that I couldn't find in the search

Originally posted by MikeK
    Hi all!

First I have to say, as someone that has lurked this board for sometime, that I think this is the best forum for a specific product that I have ever seen!

I have been trying to figure out the best subject matter for my first post, but I couldn't come up with anything spectacular so I figured I'd just ask some questions that I had a hard time finding in the search.

1. Can you use any of the A/C adapters from any other Kyo phone in the 7135? (my reason is that I would like to find a cheaper alternative for the Kyo car adapter and travel charger, and there aren't many 7135 accessories on eBay yet.)

2. Has anyone purchased the leather pouch/holster that Kyo sells on their site? I am curious as to what you think of it since the pictures are not very good on the Kyo site.

3. Those of you that have activated the 7135 with Verizon, (I know there are a ton of threads on this type of thing, but it's really hard to find specifics once the thread gets to a certain point.) are there any of the Verizon features that currently do not work with the 7135? I do not use any of the ExpressNet type stuff so I'm really talking about regular phone stuff like messaging and and making and receiving calls.

That's all I can think of for this first post. I am planning to order my 7135 from Get Connected this weekend so I'm sure I'll have lots more questions and contributions.

Thanks advance for any responses!

Mike
    1. Some, but not all. Specifically, it is compatible with the chargers for the 1100, 2000, 2100, 2200, and 2300 series phones. It is not compatible with any phone starting with a 3 or 6.

2. I did not purchase it, but I tried someone elses and was not impressed. It added to the bulk of the phone without really adding to the look. You need to remove it to put it in the cradle, and I found it awkward to put put on and remove (although with practice that would probably get easier). I like the included swivel clip better.

3. All features that I am aware of (and I have most of them) work fine.

Alan

Originally posted by larryganz
    I can get a cheap travel serial cable for 6035, can I use that on 7135?
    I don't think it is compatible. I sent a different compatibility question to Kyo support from their support web page and they responded within one business day, so you might want to try there if you don't get a definitive answer here.

Alan

Thanks for all the info guys! I appreciate the help.

I ordered my 7135 from GetConnected this morning and then ordered a car charger and extra A/C adapter from a guy off eBay for $8! He listed them as being for the 2235. According to Alanb, I should be good using them on the 7135. If not, I'm only out $8. That's better than $20 for the car charger and $30 for an A/C adapter from Kyo's site.

eBay is awesome!

Mike

MikeK,
    I have car and standard A/C adapter chargers for the 2235. The A/C adapter works fine. The voltage is lower but I guess that is OK. ( I don't know much about batteries. ) I'm keeping it in my office in case of an emergency. However, I'm not trusting the car charger for regular use. After using it for about 10 minutes, the 7135 battery felt too warm for my comfort level.

I activated mine on Verizon and everything works better than expected.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

More beginer questions?

Hi to all! I guess I am ready to take the plunge but I had a couple questions maybe sombody can answer.

Will 7135 find my old palm 3 contacts when sinking up for first time?

Is there a good reason to wait for vz. brand version?

You may want to use the search function to check for answers to your questions. The truth is out there. I can tell you the question about whether to wait for VZW (which I have been pondering since Alltell released the phone) has been the subject of much discussion and debate, which you should check out. The bottom line is that it depends on how you balance the need for the cutting edge as soon as possible vs. the desire for the security that comes with having the phone approved and backed by VZW. Right now, the posts here seem to confirm that the phone works well when activated on VZW, but there is still a lot talk about how the 7135 has not yet been released by VZW because it is failing some of their tests.

car chargers/after market chargers

be careful using non KYO stuff, especially car adaptors. I may sound like a sales rep, but keep a couple of things in mind.

-power regulation and consumption are of high priority to Product Managers on these products, too much or too little, or any type of surge can cause damage to the phone and/or battery. Many cheap aftermarket car adapters are guilty here. One will see battery performance deteriorate and find themselves replacing costly batteries more often.

More impoetant in my opion is that cheap car adaptors can effect service quality. I was involved in some network trouble shooting for Lucent in Puerto Rico. A PCS carrier had multiple complaints of missed calls/dropped calls with a certain new phone model. After weeks of testing by Lucent engineers, carrier engineers and us (third party) we discovered that 90% of the complaints were coming from customers using a cheap after market car adaptor that arrived on the streets of San Juan shortly after the new phone was launched.

food for thought
    eric

YOur contacts from your Palm 3 will sync. Just update the Palm Desktop by installing the new version that comes with the 7135, and all your contacts will be there. Now with the new Palm desktop, you will have more options and details to play with for each contact.

lost newbie

I've been searching and scanning the forums for a couple hours now since I'm about to buy a new Kyocera 7135. Some of the questions that I would like answers to seem to be written in a language I can't understand. Other times I found what I thought to be the answers, but alas were not. Let's say I'm not really a techie at all which might be the understatement of the year. I'm hoping someone here can help me out with my few "dumb" questions. Please talk to me like I am a 6 year old, even though I am 26

1. My basic use of the phone will be for aol instant messenger, web browsing and mp3s. forgetting about ther mp3s for a second, what is best plan I should get from verizon? I dont want to get that 99 dollar one, I'd rather it just come off my minutes.

2. if I sign up through verizon via getconnected, once I get the phone, what do I need to do to activate if anything? Do I have to do anything separate do activate the web aspect?

3. I saw some people post about the ecost site regarding an expansion card. Let's say I buy such a card, how do I put MP3s on it and is it like a burner or can i remove and add MP3s?

4. What comes w/ the Kyocera from getconnected? Do I need to buy a stylus, headphones, etc and if so where is the best place to find such things?

5. Is there anything else people can recommend I get or download for my phone.

I apologize in advance if this stuff has been discussed alot...even if someone can post me to a thread that would help answer these questions, It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Re: lost newbie

Originally posted by player676
    I've been searching and scanning the forums for a couple hours now since I'm about to buy a new Kyocera 7135. Some of the questions that I would like answers to seem to be written in a language I can't understand. Other times I found what I thought to be the answers, but alas were not. Let's say I'm not really a techie at all which might be the understatement of the year. I'm hoping someone here can help me out with my few "dumb" questions. Please talk to me like I am a 6 year old, even though I am 26
    I will do my best to answer some of these.

1. My basic use of the phone will be for aol instant messenger, web browsing and mp3s. forgetting about ther mp3s for a second, what is best plan I should get from verizon? I dont want to get that 99 dollar one, I'd rather it just come off my minutes.
    If you are taking off you minutes, just take the number of minutes you think you will use and base it off that.

2. if I sign up through verizon via getconnected, once I get the phone, what do I need to do to activate if anything? Do I have to do anything separate do activate the web aspect?
    Can not answer this one clearly probably, so I will not.

3. I saw some people post about the ecost site regarding an expansion card. Let's say I buy such a card, how do I put MP3s on it and is it like a burner or can i remove and add MP3s?
    The card comes with a Cruzer. The Cruzer is just a seperate USB based interface to the computer and SD card. So the SD card goes in one side and the other connects to your computer. Think of it as a very small, but large capacity floppy.

4. What comes w/ the Kyocera from getconnected? Do I need to buy a stylus, headphones, etc and if so where is the best place to find such things?
    I am pretty sure the phone comes with 3 styli. No headphones. I am not sure on the best ones to get (as I was just about to look for that) but danscellphone on ebay seem to have really good prices and folks are happy with him. It is all Kyocera OEM stuff. But again the Headphones have many complaints that they do not stay in.

5. Is there anything else people can recommend I get or download for my phone.
    There is a thread on this that list about 40 things. It all depends on what you need/want.

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=3947
    I apologize in advance if this stuff has been discussed alot...even if someone can post me to a thread that would help answer these questions, It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! [/B][/QUOTE]
    Walt

thank you so much...you have been very helpful.

one follow up. i have an older computer and USB type things seem not to work (i had win 95, updated to XP, but anything USB related doesnt react well)...is it possible cruzer would work w/ serial or no?

Cruzer has USB built in, so I would say no. You coudl try a USB card to put in the computer in addition to built in. Or maybe get a third party card reader that accepts SD card with a serial interface (not sure if that is out there) Good luck.
    Walt

thank you so much...you have been very helpful.

one follow up. i have an older computer and USB type things seem not to work (i had win 95, updated to XP, but anything USB related doesnt react well)...is it possible cruzer would work w/ serial or no?
    buying a USB PCI card might be your best bet. I would try two things before spending money on one. Check the BIOS to see if USB is disabled(usually involves pressing the Delete key on bootup)
    Also, goto the computer manufacturer(or the motherboard manufacturer if it's a custom build) and see if there are updated drivers for USB.

A serial SD card reader would be EEXXTTRREEAAMMLLYY SSLLOOWW. If it's out there it would not be an option.
    Dan
    Microcomputer Repair Tech

All I had to do was charge the phone to max capacity and then called *228. Then I went on verizon wireless webpage and clicked on Set up Voice Mail and followed the instructions there.

Some other people on this board had to call Verizon directly because of complications at the *228 part.
    Dan

I figured I'd drop in my two cents here...

[/B]
    It didn't look like you quite got your question answered yet. Somebody please correct me if I get something wrong here. Info here is mostly gleaned from Verizon's web site. There seem to be three groups of plans: National Plans, Local Plans, and Express Network Plans. The first two are basic voice service, while the latter has to do with data.

Like me, you are probably most interested in Express Network, as you want data. =) The first two do *not* provision for data at all. This is a little bit weird, because from my calls to support, there appear to be two camps over there: the voice people, and the data people, with EN sort of falling in between. When I called, the people over there weren't quite up to speed, but they were very friendly and helpful. I did have to keep steering back to EN, though.

You can either add EN to an existing voice plan, or get EN alone. If you add to existing, there are two options, the unlimited plan, and the megabyte plan. Express Network Unlimited is good if you were to, say, use it as your Internet connection for your computer or something, but at $99.99, it's not exactly cheap. Express Network Megabyte plan is a per-KB plan, meaning you're charged by how much you download. Unlimited and Megabyte do *not* provision for voice -- you will get per minute charges if you make voice calls. Finally, Express Network (not the other two) appears to provision for both voice and data, sharing minutes. It appears to be priced the same as the National Single Rate plans. No nights and weekends.

When thinking about minutes, consider the number of *times* you would connect online as well. Each time, I think you'll be billed a minimum of one minute on EN, even if on for a very short message. Oh yeah, and add in the time you might spend on voice.

I had to call in, because dialing *228 didn't work for me. In theory, though, you're supposed to just dial that, and it should connect you.

I signed up from Kyo's web site through GetConnected, signing up to Verizon's National Single Rate plan. I later called them up to switch plans. (If you can help it, pick the *right* plan from the start, though. :p ) My phone did *not* work on EN right out of the box. Though GC sent it with the 1X entries set correctly (and in fact, I can't edit them), it was set to the PalmModem device. You need to to set it for Wireless to connect in. There's something in the FAQ in this forum, I think, for setting the device to Wireless -- it's quite easy. (Thanks to whoever wrote that, by the by!) If you order it with EN service, it'll probably be set correctly.

If you buy SD media separately, I believe there are two ways: sync it through your phone with the provided software (slow), or buy a separate SD reader. They're somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-$40, and are much more convenient (or so I've heard, haven't played with it yet).

Wow, this reply was a lot longer than I meant it to be.

Phone dialing options

As I was playing around with the various menus on the phone, I came across one that said "Enable One Tap Dialing", which I enabled. Now when in the adress book, if I touch the phone number that is shown the phone dials it. Nice feature, but I'd like to turn it off. Problem is I can't for the life of me find where that menu option is. Does anyone have any idea of where I might look? Thanks!

By the way....... I love my 7135!!!

Re: Re: lost newbie

Originally posted by rodionpunk
    I figured I'd drop in my two cents here...

It didn't look like you quite got your question answered yet. Somebody please correct me if I get something wrong here. Info here is mostly gleaned from Verizon's web site. There seem to be three groups of plans: National Plans, Local Plans, and Express Network Plans. The first two are basic voice service, while the latter has to do with data.

Like me, you are probably most interested in Express Network, as you want data. =) The first two do *not* provision for data at all. This is a little bit weird, because from my calls to support, there appear to be two camps over there: the voice people, and the data people, with EN sort of falling in between. When I called, the people over there weren't quite up to speed, but they were very friendly and helpful. I did have to keep steering back to EN, though.

You can either add EN to an existing voice plan, or get EN alone. If you add to existing, there are two options, the unlimited plan, and the megabyte plan. Express Network Unlimited is good if you were to, say, use it as your Internet connection for your computer or something, but at $99.99, it's not exactly cheap. Express Network Megabyte plan is a per-KB plan, meaning you're charged by how much you download. Unlimited and Megabyte do *not* provision for voice -- you will get per minute charges if you make voice calls. Finally, Express Network (not the other two) appears to provision for both voice and data, sharing minutes. It appears to be priced the same as the National Single Rate plans. No nights and weekends.

When thinking about minutes, consider the number of *times* you would connect online as well. Each time, I think you'll be billed a minimum of one minute on EN, even if on for a very short message. Oh yeah, and add in the time you might spend on voice.

You are close here, but you are only talking about the options for HIGH SPEED data. all voice plans can use low speed data and it comes out of your minutes. You can also add Mobile Web, which is access to the WAP gateway, but don't. See http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6431 for a really nice overview of the data capabilities with Verizon.

Alan