+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hands Free Questions

I just got the Kyocera HF Car Kit. Although the kit itself sounds fine, unless I'm missing something it's interaction with the phone needs some improvement. Here are some issues/questions I have.

1. What does "wake up" actually accomplish. Is the phone suppose to voice dial after it "wakes up?" I have woken the phone up and tried to voice dial (with the flip closed), but nothing happens. If it doesn't voice dial, what does wake up do?

2. Wake up appears to only work if the flip was closed in the phone (and not palm) mode. Is that the way it's suppose to work?

3. Is it okay to cut the engine with the phone connected to the HF kit (assuming it also cuts power to the cigarette lighter adapter). I would think it's no different than disconnecting the phone from the kit, but who knows.

4. When connected to the HF Kit, closing the phone does not disconnect the call. Does anyone know if there is a way to disconnect the call without opening the flip and hitting the red button?

If this has been covered in another thread, I apologize. I searched, but could not find the answers.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Hands Free Questions

Originally posted by RMSko

1. What does "wake up" actually accomplish. Is the phone suppose to voice dial after it "wakes up?" I have woken the phone up and tried to voice dial (with the flip closed), but nothing happens. If it doesn't voice dial, what does wake up do?
    Okay, I got the answer to this question. When attached to the HF Kit, say wake up, wait for a beep, say wake up again, and then after a pause you will be asked to say a name in order to voice dial.

Once I get the answers to all of these questions (and any other questions/info that is posted), I'll move the topic to FAQ.

Portable Car-Kit Quirk

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that when you connect the phone to the car-kit, it won't respond to any voice commands unless you first open the flip and hit the "end" button to force it into phone mode. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a workaround?

Regardless, I'm loving this phone, and the sound quality with the car-kit is phenomenal (especiallly if you buy an extension cable and move the mic up to your visor!)
    :coolquick

Mark

Re: Portable Car-Kit Quirk

Originally posted by mhzimmer
    I wonder if anyone else has noticed that when you connect the phone to the car-kit, it won't respond to any voice commands unless you first open the flip and hit the "end" button to force it into phone mode. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a workaround?
    I have also found that you have to hit the green phone button in order for it tor work when connected to the kit (but not the red "end" button). Do you know if the phone will receive a call if you haven't done this? I also love the kit.

Re: Re: Portable Car-Kit Quirk

Originally posted by RMSko
    I have also found that you have to hit the green phone button in order for it tor work when connected to the kit (but not the red "end" button). Do you know if the phone will receive a call if you haven't done this? I also love the kit.
    I find that hitting the red button seems to force the hands-free kit to know it's actually connected to the phone. Once I've done that it will usually respond to voice commands to dial and even answer the phone as well. Although this hasn't been completely consistent either...

Mark

I usually can just start right in with wake up- don't need to even open the phone. However, sometimes, it doesn't recognize the wake up, and then to reconnect a couple times.... Also, I'm not positive but I'm starting to get the feeling it doesn't like the cold! With the extreme cold we've been having, it wakes up less easily and sometimes the other person doesn't hear me well. But it seems to work better when it's not way below freezing....

I haven't experienced any problems with the cold. I'm in NJ and the temp range has been 10 - 30. I also have not found any problems with wake up etc as long as I hit the green button before trying to use hands free.

Re: Portable Car-Kit Quirk

Originally posted by mhzimmer

Regardless, I'm loving this phone, and the sound quality with the car-kit is phenomenal (especiallly if you buy an extension cable and move the mic up to your visor!)
    :coolquick

Mark
    Where did you get the extension cable????

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL
    Blackberry 7230 w/ T-Mobile

E-mail: djjefft@aol.com
    AIM: djjefft

Originally posted by pdadoc
    I usually can just start right in with wake up- don't need to even open the phone. However, sometimes, it doesn't recognize the wake up, and then to reconnect a couple times.... Also, I'm not positive but I'm starting to get the feeling it doesn't like the cold! With the extreme cold we've been having, it wakes up less easily and sometimes the other person doesn't hear me well. But it seems to work better when it's not way below freezing....

First, does it definitely wake up even if you closed the flip while in a Palm Application (e.g., address book)?

As for the cold, I also noticed inconsitent performance (even with great signal strength), but I don't think it relates to the cold. I tried a few different things and I think I noticed something significant. It appears that if you connect the phone after the car has already started it won't perform as well as when you connect the phone before starting the car. To test this theory, plug in the kit, turn on the car, then connect the phone and see how it works. Assuming it doesn't work well, then, while the car is running, unplug the kit (but leave it plugged into the phone) and then plug it back in. Then make another call and see if the reception has improved. Let me know how you make out. For me the improvement was dramatic. If it is for you as well, we should likely let Kyocera know.

For those who own the OEM hands-free kit, how large is the speaker. Is it freely mobile or is it attached to the cigarette lighter and therefore fairly stable?

It's omewhat unclear from the pictures on the Kyocera website.

Thanks for the help.

JCARGAR

Originally posted by jcargar
    For those who own the OEM hands-free kit, how large is the speaker. Is it freely mobile or is it attached to the cigarette lighter and therefore fairly stable?

It's omewhat unclear from the pictures on the Kyocera website.

Thanks for the help.

JCARGAR

It is maybe 3 inches (for the whole unit). It can attach either to the cigarrette lighter, or it also comes with a post that can be velcro'd or clipped to a more convenient location.

In either position it is stable.

Alan

Handsfree Kit and Ringer...

Just got the handsfree kit. It's pretty good. Is there a way to keep the phone on vibrate, but have it use the ringer when it is hooked up to the handsfree kit? When I'm in the car, I take the phone out of my pocket, so it would be great if it could detect that it is hooked up to the handsfree kit and turn the ringer on...

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Handsfree Kit and Ringer...

Originally posted by mikelawr
    Just got the handsfree kit. It's pretty good. Is there a way to keep the phone on vibrate, but have it use the ringer when it is hooked up to the handsfree kit? When I'm in the car, I take the phone out of my pocket, so it would be great if it could detect that it is hooked up to the handsfree kit and turn the ringer on...

Thanks,
    Mike
    Just got my HFK today too, and usually keep my phone on VIBRATE RINGER, and when I had the phone attached to the HFK on the way home today and received a call it rang, just like it does when it's in the charging cradle, so I think that works automatically.

One thing I did notice is that you can adjust the speaker volume with the extermal up/down buttons, but it has to be plugged into the HFK. Also you can only adjust the ringer volume when it's in the HFK.

Back out to the garage to play...love this thing.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Tampa FL

Re: Re: Handsfree Kit and Ringer...

Originally posted by djjefft
    Just got my HFK today too, and usually keep my phone on VIBRATE RINGER, and when I had the phone attached to the HFK on the way home today and received a call it rang, just like it does when it's in the charging cradle, so I think that works automatically.

One thing I did notice is that you can adjust the speaker volume with the extermal up/down buttons, but it has to be plugged into the HFK. Also you can only adjust the ringer volume when it's in the HFK.

Back out to the garage to play...love this thing.

Jeff
    Jeff,

You're right. That's awesome. Thanks.

One question... Is there a separate ringer volume for the HFK? I had the phone plugged into it, and the ring was incredibly loud. Even when I put it on low, it seemed like it was the same volume...

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Re: Re: Handsfree Kit and Ringer...

Originally posted by mikelawr
    Jeff,

You're right. That's awesome. Thanks.

One question... Is there a separate ringer volume for the HFK? I had the phone plugged into it, and the ring was incredibly loud. Even when I put it on low, it seemed like it was the same volume...

Thanks,
    Mike
    Nope, I guess not. Just came in from the garage and noticed that myself. I thought there was a separate volume control for the HFK ringer, but I could not find one.

EXTREMELY LOUD!!!!
    Jeff
    Tampa FL

Not directly related to the 7135, but maybe someone out there has an answer... The power adapter in my car doesn't shut off when the car is turned off. Since the HFK doesn't have a power switch, it would be on all of the time. I'm not sure if this is bad for the battery even though the 7135 wouldn't be in the HFK if the car is off.

Does anyone know if anyone makes a power switch for a car (DC) outlet. Basically, I want something that goes between the outlet and the HFK that is just a switch that will cut the power going to the HFK.

Thanks,
    Mike

Which handsfree car kit are you talking about?

Does this kit let you put the phone in a holster in the car, and then enable you to answer calls and speak on the phone without lifting a finger? (or maybe just one finger)

Also: If all the above is the case, then how well does it work when you are on the road? What is the reception like for people who you are talking with?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Hannover
    Which handsfree car kit are you talking about?

Does this kit let you put the phone in a holster in the car, and then enable you to answer calls and speak on the phone without lifting a finger? (or maybe just one finger)

Also: If all the above is the case, then how well does it work when you are on the road? What is the reception like for people who you are talking with?

Thanks.
    It is the portable car kit that is made by Kyocera. You can see it in the accessories part of their website. I haven't used it too much yet, but so far the the people that I have spoken to have been able to hear me well. The speaker quality is also pretty good.

-Mike

Is there a good phone holder that can be used in conjunction with that hands free car kit?

(something that you could just click it into when getting in the car?)

Originally posted by Hannover
    Is there a good phone holder that can be used in conjunction with that hands free car kit?

(something that you could just click it into when getting in the car?)
    Not that I know of, but I'd be very interested in that too if anyone else knows of something...

-Mike